2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI - Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always heard our local dealership isn't the greatest either, so that might account for a lot of the expense for the repairs.
As for the diesel issue, if Ontario didn't require an etest to get a sticker, I'd be tempted to get a VW now and pocket the diminished value payment. That would cover a lot of little repairs.
I have to admit I didn't even bother to try a VW wagon when I got my Focus, my main criteria was to save money and minimize PITA.

Owners who have these cars love them when they work and I know a few who have little fuss. However some tdi owners hate them due to poor build.

They are a risky buy IHMO.

The latch and the wiper mechanism, if not broken due to user error, should not be requiring a repair at 5 years of age IMO. The AC smell I would not blame VW for. Was the cabin filter changed? Maybe they park near a tree that drops leaves, flowers whatever and it gets in the ducts and rots. Instead of blaming VW I would find a good shop, not VW dealer, to diagnose and fix this problem.

P.S.
Tell your friend that every knowledgeable VW owner avoids VW dealers like a plague and instead finds a good indy. That probably is the biggest issue with VW IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The latch and the wiper mechanism, if not broken due to user error, should not be requiring a repair at 5 years of age IMO. The AC smell I would not blame VW for. Was the cabin filter changed? Maybe they park near a tree that drops leaves, flowers whatever and it gets in the ducts and rots. Instead of blaming VW I would find a good shop, not VW dealer, to diagnose and fix this problem.

They just park in their driveway (no trees) and apparently it is a VERY common problem (the smell) with this car
21.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
P.S.
Tell your friend that every knowledgeable VW owner avoids VW dealers like a plague and instead finds a good indy. That probably is the biggest issue with VW IMO.

I already did
grin.gif

My buddy that had the Jetta swore he'd never darken the door of the local dealer again (that didn't pan out, but that's a story for another time) and began dealing with a local VW indy that was absolutely fantastic and very reasonably priced. I've passed that information along.

Guess I've been really lucky with my '07.
The Tiguan we leased as I was un prepared to invest in VW during this period in the companies history. Will re-evaluate when the lease is up.

Once warranty is over, I suggest finding a good independent mechanic. This applies to all makes as dealerships are generally pretty expensive vs. independents.

I was lucky on my '04, but for a few years would drive 100miles for repairs/maintance. For a couple of years I had a good indie about 30 or 40 miles away; but when he closed shop I decided I didn't want to own a car that required me to drive that far for repairs. Not when it was old enough that yearly if not bi-yearly repairs were to be expected.

I would do the buyback and get a Passat TDI. I like VW/Audis -- easy DIY, reliable otherwise.

But they should find a good independent mechanic who knows what s/he is doing.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Gate latch is readily available for less than 100.00.

Wiper motor is ~130.00 don't know that you can blame VW for a stripped wiper motor (lot of causes, car washes, turning on when frozen and so forth) or that having to replace the motor would be any different for any make of car.

The gate latch does seem to be fairly common, but the new part is allegedly revised, and there are aftermarket solutions as well.

I realize VW bashing is all the rage around here though so go on...

Yet all of these things still work on my 2003 Mazda with 203K miles.

I might buy your argument if these were common failures with other car makers. But my Mazda, which has had it's own share of problems, hasn't broken any of it's windows, locks or wipers.

I've owned a VW before, and got good at troubleshooting electrical issues, replacing window regulators, and addressing leaking windows, front, back and sides.

I'd like to think these sorts of things would be sorted by the 21st century.

I turn off my A/C about one minute before i stop the engine. This allows the evaporator coil to return to normal temperature, dry off, not mildew. I do this in all vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back