Over Oiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know what happened. I got an old box fan that wasnt spinning too well and I oiled the axle/center carrier (or whatever the rod is called) with just general purpose lube like motor oil, bike lube or 3-in-1.

After lubricating the fan, it spun free and smooth. Well, sometime later I oiled it again and repeated the process and it began to squeal so I setit at the street in fear of an electrical fire. I have since gotten a new one that requires no lube (just keep it clean).

So I ask you here, how can something be over oiled. How can more oil somehow cause a squeal? Can the metals/materials only accept so much lubricant and any excess will interfere with smooth progress?

Thanks Bob!

In the 60's and 70's, my Father always told me;
"you can do more harm by over-oiling an electric motor than under-oiling"
I never knew exactly why.

Now I want to find out because my Uncle who is 83 years old will want me this coming Winter to 'oil' his furnace motor. My Uncle says in previous years he has always used 30 drops of oil.
Sounds like to much to me, and if I oil it, I don't want to be blamed if he needs a new furnace.

I have an older Box Fan from 1965. It has a nice chrome tubular floor-stand and for years was never oiled. Now that I have it, if I oil the motor, I only put in 2 -3 drops.

Not to many people will have experience with your question because all modern motors have sealed bearings.

Perhaps others here will have some electric motor experience and can explain exactly what happens if you over-oil.

Thanks larryinnewyork.

It can be difficult figuring this stuff out. I dont want to ruin equipment in order to learn correctly.

Just like with eating, once you take that last big bite you may well feel ill for a long time. Or like Bob Barker's show, who can getmthe closest without going over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back