Chevy 6.2 Silverado, Shaffer's or Mobile 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure what topic to put this under but I have a 2011 6.2 Silverado with only 16,000 that I just purchased and use for daily driving, and some hauling, I also travel mountais regularly as I live in a valley, and we do have some cold temps in winter time Pennsylvania. I'm trying to decide between the new formula M1 0W40 , Shaffer's 9000 (9003D) 5w30 dexos-1 oil, and they also have a advanced European formula 5w30 8007 full saps and 8008 mid saps. One other thought is my wifes 2014 jeep grand Cherokee with the 3.6 penstar that takes 5w30 or 5w20. Is there something that would be verstal for both and still be good for the truck

Last edited:
I would use a DEXOS-1 oil 5w-30 in this order. Unfortunately most expensive to least expensive.

-Schaeffers
-Amsoil Sig. Series
-Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.
-Any full syn. on sale dexos-1
-Any name brand dexos-1 on sale

I am sure any of the properly rated oils from known quality blenders would allow your engine a long life.

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
I would like to stick with mobile , Shaffer's or castrol.

Schaeffers
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
I would use a DEXOS-1 oil 5w-30 in this order. Unfortunately most expensive to least expensive.

-Schaeffers
-Amsoil Sig. Series
-Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc.
-Any full syn. on sale dexos-1
-Any name brand dexos-1 on sale

Guess it depends on the account. I use the Schaeffer and get it for less cost than the Amsoil SS stuff, even with Amsoil PC pricing.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 from WalMart for $21.97 per 5 Qt Jug.

Its Dexos 1 and appears to use GTL Basestock with a dash of PAO. Its also high Moly which I like on LSx Engines.

http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30dexos.html

PS No need for low-SAPS oils with those engines.

It does indeed have a healthy load of moly. I like that. The Schaeffer does beat it somewhat, but not by an overwhelming amount. Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 has 309 ppm moly compared to the QSUD 5w30 of 252. But for the average user, the QSUD would probably be easier to come by and also a little less expensive.

When you say no need for low saps what are you meaning, you should use full?

I think he was meaning not to spend sleepless nights worrying about it. Not the other extreme. I spend about as much time worrying about low saps as I do wondering if the planet is going to be hit by a 2 mile wide meteor.

I thought the latest craze was 0w40 Mobil European car formula for just about anything that took a 5w30

That's what I'd run! Why not?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would use 5w30 in your favorite brand on both vehicles and call it a day

Just pick any Dexos in the correct viscosity the manual states and stick with it. Your efforts are best spent keeping road salt from killing your new truck.

Is your manual calling for 0w-20 or 5w-30?

You can use a blended 5w-30 approved by Dexos certifications.

I use to use Mobil 1 extended performance but after reading how it shears quickly, I switched to 0w40 mobile, it seemed to the be the better alternative to the mobile 1 extended performance 5w30,

I use to use Mobil 1 extended performance but after reading how it shears quickly, I switched to 0w40 mobile, it seemed to the be the better alternative to the mobile 1 extended performance 5w30,

Where did you read that? Please post a link to some credible source.

And by the way it's Mobil, not Mobile. Also it's Schaeffer's, Not Shaffer's.

I thought the latest craze was 0w40 Mobil European car formula for just about anything that took a 5w30

Even it it was, why are you going on craze rather than an oil that meets the requirements for your vehicle and engine?

Just because a oil meets or dosent meet spec, dosent mean it's a good or bad oil. I come here to read information and make my own decisions on what I read and peoples advice. I'm not up to all the oil specs terms and what not.
I feel that there are some oils that don't meet spec and are better than ones that do. I feel dexos is a certification used to meet emissions standards and let's something on the table that maby a non dexos oil still has, I don't care wether it meets spec or not of it is a better oil for application.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Where did you read that? Please post a link to some credible source.

And by the way it's Mobil, not Mobile. Also it's Schaeffer's, Not Shaffer's.

O yes, dear lord my misspellings, I don't have nor do I care to post any specific post or decusions, there are plenty on here that are about German castrol vs Mobil 1 0w40, or either one being the go to for most 5w30 applications.

Last edited:
O yes, dear lord my misspellings, I don't have nor do I care to post any specific post or decusions, there are plenty on here that are about German castrol vs Mobil 1 0w40, or either one being the go to for most 5w30 applications.

OK, I was asking about the shearing comment not the "go to" one.

Just wondering where people get stuff sometimes is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back