Carquest Red filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

The CQ red oil filter box states "CARQUEST Filters meet all new car warranty requirements."

I'm taking this to mean that I can run the filter for whatever the OLM allows on my Focus. Thoughts?

PS: It's hard to believe that these are a dollar cheaper than Purolator's base filter at AA.

The new CQ Red is most likely the same as the Purolator Classic, since AAP/CQ recently switched suppliers. You can tell it's a new Puro by the Purolator date code format on the can (starts with FxxH...) in big black letters. The older Fram CQ's have the date code in yellow and are MUCH better than the Purolators.

That said, it should be good for the OLM-suggested interval. But for a cheap filter, I'd rather have a cheap Wix (Napa Silver, Microgard, Walmart Supertech, etc)

Hopefully Fram will find a good-sized supplier to make filters for, that can be like the old CQ champs.

Thanks s_b...

Do those older Fram CQ's have the same media as the OCOD?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Thanks s_b...

Do those older Fram CQ's have the same media as the OCOD?

No. They're slightly better than that.

The Fram CQ's are essentially the pre-Ecore cheap champs, like the AC Delco classics. They have metal end caps.

Thanks again...I keep forgetting that most of the filter makers have merged to some extent.

I'd like to see a sticky or summary of who owns/ makes what.

PS: I've used plenty of those Champion made filters in my life....AC, ST and others and the few that I cut opened always looked fine...The next time I buy an AA oil change special, I'll ask to substitute the CQ for the more expensive Purolator or even OCOD...

Taking a cheap oil filter on a 10,000 or 15,000 mile OCI based on the statement that it meets OEM warranty requirements is foolhardy.

If your OLM typically recommends that you change around 5,000 miles, by all means use a cheap filter.

If the OLM lets you extend on out to 10,000 or 15,000 miles and you buy into that, use only EP synthetic oil and a premium filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back