The morality of riding a bike married with kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like people don't know how to drive anymore these days or are always distracted. Seems like once a week now someone wants to move into my lane without signaling or checking their blind side and in I'm a regular full sized car. I think the people parking on the street that use their mirrors to see what's behind them are the worst. They'll see someone just as they hit them.

I guess I have a problem with any transportation appliance that requires its user to rely upon luck to avoid life-changing injury or death. Skill only goes so far.
Accidents happen and when you're in any car you enjoy a significant level of protection in a collision.
On a bike, you have zero protection.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I guess I have a problem with any transportation appliance that requires its user to rely upon luck to avoid life-changing injury or death. Skill only goes so far.
Accidents happen and when you're in any car you enjoy a significant level of protection in a collision.
On a bike, you have zero protection.

There is an element of luck involved, anytime we venture out on public highways. Apparently you accept the risk of driving in cars, but feel you have the right to preach to others about what level of risk is acceptable in their lives. How about I mind my own business, and you mind yours?

I'm a little late posting on the subject, but I was just told of this:
A buddy of mine works at a company that digs graves. It's not their full time line of work, but they do it on the side.
Last week, he was a little short on help so I went with him. It involves a dump truck (to haul away the dirt), and a John Deere backhoe on a trailer pulled behind the truck. He was running the backhoe and I was on the ground using a tape measure. Since this burial involved a vault, I measured to make sure that the hole was deep enough and long enough for the vault to fit inside the hole in the ground.
We had dug the hole and were driving away from the cemetery and he pointed out a particular head stone to me. "You see that tombstone right there?" he stated. "I dug that grave several years ago. I remember doing that one just like it was yesterday." When I asked him why, he told me that it was a double funeral and that there were two caskets underneath that stone. He told me that a married couple in their 60s had been riding a motorbike together and the bike was involved in an accident and both people had died. (He didn't say who was at fault. Maybe he didn't know) He told me that he remembers it like it was yesterday because their three kids, all in their 30s, were standing in the cemetery and watched him dig the grave.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The guy who died replied that he was safe because he was careful.

I knew someone from my Corvette club who was the most careful motorcycle rider out there, but someone backed out of a driveway without looking and he ran into the side of their car, went into a coma for a few months and died
frown.gif

No matter how safe you are, motorcycle riding is still dangerous. Accidents that would be survivable in cars end up being much worse on a bike.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
How about I mind my own business, and you mind yours?

The point of this thread is that if you are a husband and a father, then it's not just your own business.

Riding a bike is a completely different ball game now than it was 10 or even 5 years ago. I have two good friends who grew up riding dirt bikes and had a motorcycle license as soon as they were able to. Neither of them ride on the street anymore. Too many close calls with idiots texting or not paying attention. They have both said that people will tend to drive more carelessly around a bike knowing the bike will get the majority of the damage, kind of like a truck/suv versus a small car. After working in the auto insurance industry I sometimes don't even feel safe in a small car. There are good people out there who make mistakes, but there are also nasty, self-entitled, evil people who feel no remorse for their careless actions that took another person's life.

Personally, I think it depends mostly on your commute. I now drive 5 miles to work on back roads. My previous commute was 40 minutes in highway traffic.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I always wanted a bike and entertained getting one.
That changed while we were on vacation in Maryland in 2006 and came upon a fresh accident in which a guy was laying dead on the ground with his bike on top of him with the front end of a Dodge Caravan on top of the bike. I've never been able to get that picture out of my mind.
I bought a Mustang convertible instead.
I'd never own a convertible, they're dangerous. Maybe they need loud pipes.

If mine needs a loud pipe, I'll give you a call.

I'm recovering from multiple broken bones, including 2 compression fractures in my back from falling off a 8ft ladder in my garage.

I ride. I'm not riding now until I'm all healed. In Ontario the riding season is short, maybe 6 months max per year. What irks me more than anything is that when I ride in the city is the significant increase of car drivers texting, playing with GPS or just not aware.

As others say, I ride as if I am invisible to others, stay out of blind spots and generally avoid riding next to cars if possible. However, the stress of these city rides is becoming too much. Riding is a choice for me, I have multiple cars I can use, and the fuel savings for use of the bike is not really any motivation. When I ride I do feel more alive, much more aware and it does make me a much better CAR DRIVER...but parking the bike gives me a relief that I made it once again....at 53 I think this is getting stupid.

I rode for a few years but gave it up in late 2013. I seem to have a different attitude about bike ownership than anyone else I know, as I wanted my bike to fit into my life as an economical, entertaining way to get back & forth to work, run errands, etc. vs. something to take on aimless joyrides. It took a while, but this world's drivers sucked the fun out of riding and eventually gave me reason to stop. Few people in cars seem to be paying much attention to what's going on around them, and when they decide it's time to change lanes, pull out of a driveway, or make a turn, they don't take anyone else into consideration before doing so. A motorcycle stands no chance against a Tahoe being driven by a wholly distracted person applying makeup, texting, digging in the center console, or turning around to yell at their kids. I lost count early into my riding 'career' how many times I was forced into an emergency maneuver while riding as defensively as I possibly could in heavy traffic. During the commute to and from work, as soon as you exit one person's blind spot, you've entered another's.

Being killed in a horrific motorcycle accident is a bad enough proposition. Coming out of it disabled is even scarier to me. It was no longer worth it, so the bike went on Craigslist and I returned to 'caging' it to work. I miss the riding experience when it was actually enjoyable, but I don't miss dodging the clueless soccer moms and angry dads hamfisting their 5,000 lb death machines down the roads alongside me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How about I mind my own business, and you mind yours?

The point of this thread is that if you are a husband and a father, then it's not just your own business.

My point is: You make decisions that are applicable to you, and I'll make decisions that are applicable to me.

I guess I could relate the stories of several people I've known, who have died in Automobile accidents. In all cases, they had Family and friends to mourn them. How could they be so careless and callous to their families needs, as to risk their lives by riding around in a metal casket...

I guess I could relate the stories of several people I've known, who have died in Automobile accidents. In all cases, they had Family and friends to mourn them. How could they be so careless and callous to their families needs, as to risk their lives by riding around in a metal casket...

The main difference is the level of risk. Chances of being seriously injured or dying while riding a motorcycle are much higher. And most people ride for pleasure, not out of necessity.

The main difference is the level of risk. Chances of being seriously injured or dying while riding a motorcycle are much higher. And most people ride for pleasure, not out of necessity.

So let me see if I got this right. When you get married and/or have kids you should stop doing anything unnecessary and even slightly dangerous. So for instance I shouldn't go hiking (might get eaten by a bear), or rock climbing (might fall), should probably stop changing my own oil because you know used oil is a known carcinogen and heck the car could fall on me... lot safer to let someone else do it...

But once I do all this I will be able to walk around and act all sanctimonious about it ...

Got it...

And yes I did know a guy who got killed changing his oil and left a wife and kids behind...

Sure, you can take it to any extreme you wish to justify your actions.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I am not telling anyone not to ride. My only humble suggestion was that the individual riding discusses the risks involved with his entire family to ensure they are all OK with it and with its potential consequences.

Personally, yes, I have become much more cautious about the activities that I take part in, knowing that I have a family that relies on my support.

There are no guarantees in life. We all make choices, and live (or not) with the consequences. If the people that I have known that have died in Automobile accidents had opted to stay home, they might still be alive today.

I've been in situations where if I had been in one of my cars, instead of on a bike, I would've been in a serious accident. The maneuverability of the bike, and in several cases it's ability to accelerate quickly, and my own spatial awareness, has saved me at the minimum, lots of pain and suffering.

I will say this: Most people that ride, could stand to improve their riding ability. For the riders out there, here's a good article: Keith Code article

Last edited:

As I stated earlier in this thread, I am not telling anyone not to ride. My only humble suggestion was that the individual riding discusses the risks involved with his entire family to ensure they are all OK with it and with its potential consequences.

Personally, yes, I have become much more cautious about the activities that I take part in, knowing that I have a family that relies on my support.

Yes, one needs to consider the level of risk associated with what they do, particularly when they have kids. I had a bike when I was younger (and before I was married). My wife wanted to get one recently but I've not proceeded with that and these statistics reinforce why:

Quote:
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles.[1] Motorcycles also have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance travelled when compared with automobiles. Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car.[1] In 2004, figures from the UK Department for Transport indicated that motorcycles have 16 times the rate of serious injuries compared to cars.[2]

A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age

*snip*

Quote:
One of the main reasons motorcyclists are killed in crashes is because the motorcycle itself provides virtually no protection in a crash. For example, approximately 80 percent of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death; a comparable figure for automobiles is about 20 percent.

No matter how you slice it, a bike is more dangerous for the rider (and passenger) than a car. If that's a level of risk you are comfortable with then fantastic! But I would also ensure your family is, as QP has noted, also familiar with the risk and that you have adequate life insurance that covers them in the even that you are seriously injured or killed, since you are partaking in an activity which statistically, makes that far more likely.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yes, one needs to consider the level of risk associated with what they do, particularly when they have kids. I had a bike when I was younger (and before I was married). My wife wanted to get one recently but I've not proceeded with that and these statistics reinforce why:

Quote:
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2006, 13.10 cars out of 100,000 ended up in fatal crashes. The rate for motorcycles is 72.34 per 100,000 registered motorcycles.[1] Motorcycles also have a higher fatality rate per unit of distance travelled when compared with automobiles. Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists' risk of a fatal crash is 35 times greater than a passenger car.[1] In 2004, figures from the UK Department for Transport indicated that motorcycles have 16 times the rate of serious injuries compared to cars.[2]

A national study by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATS) found that:

Motorcycle rider death rates increased among all rider age groups between 1998 and 2000
Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age

*snip*

Quote:
One of the main reasons motorcyclists are killed in crashes is because the motorcycle itself provides virtually no protection in a crash. For example, approximately 80 percent of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death; a comparable figure for automobiles is about 20 percent.

No matter how you slice it, a bike is more dangerous for the rider (and passenger) than a car. If that's a level of risk you are comfortable with then fantastic! But I would also ensure your family is, as QP has noted, also familiar with the risk and that you have adequate life insurance that covers them in the even that you are seriously injured or killed, since you are partaking in an activity which statistically, makes that far more likely.

You'll never get some avid bike riders to admit facts and data on motorcycle vs. car safety. I don't know why some insist it's all relative...when it clearly is not.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

You'll never get some avid bike riders to admit facts and data on motorcycle vs. car safety. I don't know why some insist it's all relative...when it clearly is not.

I've been an avid rider since the age of 6. I have said on this board numerous times that riding is absolutely dangerous.

Just in the last month, I participated in one of the most dangerous activities that a Motorcyclist could undertake. It's been a dream of mine since the '80's, and I finally accomplished it. I had planned to detail my experience here, but in light of this sanctimonious thread (and others) I decided that it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Rest assured that I did everything I could to ensure my survival. But in the event that I didn't, I made all prior the arrangements necessary for Family. I also had their full support.

What I have a problem with, is sanctimonious people thinking they have a right to tell others how to live their life. If my riding doesn't affect you, then you have no business telling me whether I can or not. The people that it does affect, already know what it means to me, and encourage me to enjoy all aspects of my life to it's fullest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back