Mazda Moly 0w20 or a 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm an old guy and use to thicker oils. Just wondering if I should stick with the moly 0w20 or use a 5w30 in a 2.5 4 cylinder CX5. It is a new vehicle. Having trouble feeling comfortable with a 20 weight for the long haul.

50/50 city highway. About 15000 miles a year. Normal driving, not race drivers.

Any help or opinions appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I'd stick with it. Especially with a great oil like Mazda labeled 0w20. Hard to beat that one.

Use what Mazda calls for. Don't run 5W30 because they might in some third world country.

Mazda put a unique two stage oil pump in the Skyactiv engines. You want all the volume you can get, which you won't from using a thicker oil.
Thicker oils such as 5W30 will increase the oil temp due to more fluid friction.
The Skyactiv engine was truly designed for a 0W20.

Betcha didn't know we get lower compression of this engine vs Europe because Mazda had to design it to run on 87 octane for North America

Nice vehicle by the way!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Betcha didn't know we get lower compression of this engine vs Europe because Mazda had to design it to run on 87 octane for North America

Yup! And, my 2012 version (Mazda3) only has 12:1 because it still used the non-Skyactiv body. There wasn't enough room for the exhaust header that came in 2014 and allowed 13:1 for U.S. models. Some on here claim that using premium fuel allows the engine to re-tune itself. I haven't bought into that.

My First World Country says it's OK to run 0W20 or 5W30 or 10W30 (SN, GF-5) oil in that engine.

BTW Nice Car !! I wish I had one for family transport duties.

Originally Posted By: dave123
M1 0w20 and OEM filter and it will do just fine.

Exactly.

Although I would have no problem using a Fram Ultra or Toughgard either...

PS: If I was going to run anything other than 0w20 (and I probably wouldn't unless it was burning it) it would be 5w20...not 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spur
Just wondering if I should stick with the moly 0w20 or use a 5w30

There's another thread right now where the guy is having oil consumption with his 2015 Mazda 3.

What's common sense tell you ?

Use 0w20 and be happy. After warranty use what you like, judging by the manual it doesn't seem to matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmhj
why?

Because the 0W-20 will start sliding passed the piston rings and into the combustion chamber if it hasn't done so already.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Run a 5w-30.

Absolutely no reason or facts to back it up.

Yeah ... don't let any common sense get in the way of some good facts ...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: cmhj
why?

Because the 0W-20 will start sliding passed the piston rings and into the combustion chamber if it hasn't done so already.
Just a bunch of [censored]

Thanks for the responses, keep um coming. It has already been mentioned, but is somewhat puzzling to me.

The owners manual specs 5w30 everywhere but the US where it specs the 0w20. I want protection not cafe standards. This car needs to last way into retirement. Which happens for us in a couple years.

Last edited:

10w60 would definitely be better or maybe straight 70 weight that's what he should run.

10w60 would definitely be better or maybe straight 70 weight that's what he should run.

Dave, I'm thinking that might be a little thick in the winter
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Spur
Just wondering if I should stick with the moly 0w20 or use a 5w30

There's another thread right now where the guy is having oil consumption with his 2015 Mazda 3.

What's common sense tell you ?

That a good oil like M1 EP 0W20 will fix the problem. At least it did on his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back