The Critic Drives; 2016 Honda Civic EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edhackett
I had a 2015 Civic EX loaner for a day last year. Yea, the CVT was truly awful. It didn't know if it wanted to be a CVT or conventional automatic. Just trying to maintain spacing in traffic at 55 mph on rolling hills drove you crazy. Sometimes it would slide gently between ratios as expected, most of the time it would make discreet 1000 rpm multiple jumps. Every time you eased off the gas to maintain spacing it would immediately dive into the highest ratio. As you eased back into the throttle it would jump up 3000 rpm, 2000 rpm, or 1000, rpm. The tach was constantly jumping around like a frog on a hot sidewalk. Biggest POS I've ever driven. I wouldn't take a Civic with a CVT if they payed me to take it.

Ed

My exact feelings after riding in one. SIL traded in a 2012 Kia Optima for a 2015 Civic. A big mistake, she's regretting it.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I had a 2015 Civic EX loaner for a day last year. Yea, the CVT was truly awful. It didn't know if it wanted to be a CVT or conventional automatic. Just trying to maintain spacing in traffic at 55 mph on rolling hills drove you crazy. Sometimes it would slide gently between ratios as expected, most of the time it would make discreet 1000 rpm multiple jumps. Every time you eased off the gas to maintain spacing it would immediately dive into the highest ratio. As you eased back into the throttle it would jump up 3000 rpm, 2000 rpm, or 1000, rpm. The tach was constantly jumping around like a frog on a hot sidewalk. Biggest POS I've ever driven. I wouldn't take a Civic with a CVT if they payed me to take it.

Ed

My conventional automatic does that, when the convertor is unlocked--and it drives me nuts. But it's like a 500rpm or so jump (usually). I don't think I could manage >1k swings without going ballistic.

Really, they should just remove the tach and use enough sound deadner so one cannot hear the engine at all.

Originally Posted By: supton

My conventional automatic does that, when the convertor is unlocked--and it drives me nuts. But it's like a 500rpm or so jump (usually). I don't think I could manage >1k swings without going ballistic.

Really, they should just remove the tach and use enough sound deadner so one cannot hear the engine at all.

The road noise did a good job of dampening engine noise, the radio, conversation, and one's sanity.

Ed

I love the new 2016 Civic, but only worth buying with the MT.
Too bad you can't get the turbo with manual. Hopefully this is rectified in the next year or 2.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: JustinH
wait a minute you aren't the critic?

Everybody on here is "the critic". But only one has the screen name to go with it......

And I have not driven a 2016 Civic...
lol.gif

How do you think Honda is keeping their CAFE MPG in check? The 1.8L/CVT combo is not made for acceleration, not even as a pedal-to-the-floor option.

Relative to other CVTs out there Honda has one of the best. From personal experience it's way better than what Jeep and Nissan are using.

Overall the new Civic is kicking butt and taking names with good engines, a great chassis, and an interior that's a notch above what it used to be.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Relative to other CVTs out there Honda has one of the best. From personal experience it's way better than what Jeep and Nissan are using.

Overall the new Civic is kicking butt and taking names with good engines, a great chassis, and an interior that's a notch above what it used to be.

Latest C&D comparo of 2016 large-compact/small-mid-size, first place was Mazda 3 as usual, Civic was second place.

We have a 2014 Accord and a 2016 CR-V with CVTs. My only issue is that under heavy acceleration they both seem to surge periodically, it's not a linear thing like I was expecting, nor was it the periodic "steps" that a normal automatic does as it upshifts. It's a little offputting at first, but they get really good fuel economy and it is nice to see really low RPMs as they loaf along on the interstate.

I thought we might get a Civic but the whole "sitting on the floor" driving position turned me off, and we got the CR-V.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Latest C&D comparo of 2016 large-compact/small-mid-size, first place was Mazda 3 as usual, Civic was second place.
Read some other reviews and check monthly sales numbers.

Reviews & sale number and comparisons are different things.

All reviews about 2016 Civic were very positive, their sale were better than last year while most car sales were down year to date. But when Civic is compared with Mazda 3 it is not as good, at least C&D is thinking that way. Yes, 2016 Civic is a much better car than 2015 but that means nothing when it is compared head-to-head with Mazda 3.

Toyota sale number is much higher than Mazda 3, does it mean Corolla is a better driving car ?

Toyota Camry sale number is much higher than Mazda 6, does it mean Mazda 6 is a worse car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back