Big Rig Trucks in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was in England, Ireland, France and Holland recently. I noticed that their big trucks are all cabovers whereas U.S. has gone to conventionals. Their trucks appear to be a little smaller with shorter trailers. The trailers have three axles but singles instead of dual wheel/tires. Popular brands are Mercedes, MAN and Scania. They don't have the large sleepers like U.S. Trucks. I have never been a truck driver but they still interest me.

I travel to France (sometimes Italy). Cabover is because on the non expressways, in the smaller towns, it is easier getting around tight corners. Did not notice that trailers are shorter, but if they are, it's for the same reason as cab overs. Getting around tight corners.

Single wheels vice duel wheels/tires but the tires are bigger. Taller and wider.

Thanks, I didn't think about the tight corners but some of the towns would be really hard to negotiate. I bet their laws don't allow 53 foot trailers like in US.

I don't know much about the trucks or the industry itself over there. I know COE's are the only configuration I've seen. They seem to use mostly single drive axles, much more than here in North America.

I love the sound of a V8 (gasoline or diesel) and the Scania V8 sounds awesome. Our old Cat and Mack V8's were a pleasure to listen to but our modern trucks don't have them anymore, so I'm jealous of the Scania drivers over there.

Don't forget the Volvo's over there as another popular truck. I have a friend who is fascinated with European COE's and especially likes the Volvo brand.

American big-rig trucks are mythologized strongly in some European countries, Germany certainly. They have this open road thing.

In Europe the maximum length of trucks includes the cab and trailer. In the United States the maximum length only applies to the trailer; there is no limit on the overall length of a standard tractor/trailer combination (some specialty combinations have an overall length limit). In Europe they use the shorter COEs to maximize the trailer length.

That's why in the United States, highway buses have a flat front/rear engine design-otherwise the total allowable length would include the engine sticking out front. Having the engine in the rear and the flat front maximizes the interior space and passenger capacity.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
In Europe the maximum length of trucks includes the cab and trailer. In the United States the maximum length only applies to the trailer; there is no limit on the overall length of a standard tractor/trailer combination (some specialty combinations have an overall length limit). In Europe they use the shorter COEs to maximize the trailer length.

That's why in the United States, highway buses have a flat front/rear engine design-otherwise the total allowable length would include the engine sticking out front. Having the engine in the rear and the flat front maximizes the interior space and passenger capacity.

That may be true in your state but most states do have a maximum limit if 65-70 ft

I'm a semi mechanic at UPS. Semi's are a different animal in Europe. They often have quite a bit more horsepower, better shifting transmissions and better brakes.

European trucks have disc brakes, and either manual transmissions with synchromesh, or automatics. Their truck drivers are also paid by the hour and limited to 48 hours per week. These should be required in the US, too. Then maybe people might actually want to drive a truck.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
European trucks have disc brakes, and either manual transmissions with synchromesh, or automatics. Their truck drivers are also paid by the hour and limited to 48 hours per week. These should be required in the US, too. Then maybe people might actually want to drive a truck.
I agree on that. I wish I only had to put 48 hours in, in a week.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

That may be true in your state but most states do have a maximum limit if 65-70 ft

Oh golly Chris...luckily that isn't the case. There are many different state requirements but not overall length. My current truck is only 71-72 feet long but most of my trucks were stretched out much more. When I pulled 57' trailers with a long wheel base Western Star, it had to be over 80' bumper to bumper.

Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of weight and length restrictions. I've had to purchase oversize permits to run some two lane roads with my typical otr truck.

Edit: no overall length limits on the national network is what I meant. States can be more restrictive on their smaller roads but there isn't much of a problem with overall length.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a semi mechanic at UPS. Semi's are a different animal in Europe. They often have quite a bit more horsepower, better shifting transmissions and better brakes.

Volvo has a great automated manual here and I believe will soon have a dual clutch version for super fast gear changes. I believe it (the dual clutch) may be in use in Europe already.

I know they've switched from dual wheels to super singles on many of our newer trucks and trailers over the years. Saves weight and cost according to the bean counters. You won't hear that from our drivers though (when you get a flat). They eliminate the exhaust stack to save weight and it annoys the guy in the bunk more. I know we've tried the semi-automatics, but had more problems than normal. Pretty much everything has been 10spd manuals for years. Freightliners and Volvos

Last edited:
So with the single axle, are the load carrying capabilities typically less on a European style truck?

While we're talking about semi truck designs, last time I was in China I noticed many of their trucks had dual steering axles up front. Does anyone know why that design is common there?

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: dustyroads
There are many different state requirements but not overall length.

Then how do you explain THIS page?:
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/#us

Looks like the Yukon in Canada holds the record, allowing a maximum overall length of a whopping 82'. New Hampshire is the shortest, at 53'.

Once you get on some skinny little state roads they have the ability to restrict length/size. As I mentioned earlier, I've purchased oversize permits to travel two lane roads with my otr truck. The DOT measured my truck bumper to bumper and assessed my fee from that.

I use Rand McNally's motor carrier atlas for my info. On designated highways we are mostly good at any overall length (although there are other requirements within). I no longer go to Vermont but last I was there I had to buy a permit for some of the two lane roads.

On the "national network" of designated highways (major roads) we are free to run crazy long trucks.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Nice try Skippy. Spend a couple minutes on Google and you'll find out that there is no maximum limit of the tractor. There is a maximum limit of the trailer.

From the Department of Transportation:

Quote:
A State may not impose an overall length limit on a truck tractor pulling a single semitrailer or a limit on the distance between the axles of such a truck tractor. A truck tractor is defined as a non-cargo-carrying power unit used in combination with a semitrailer.

In simple terms, there is no federally mandated limit on the length of a tractor, and the states may not impose a limit. The tractor can be any length-just Google "the red giant truck". Its total length is 93', the trailer is 53', and it can operate in any of the lower 48 states-the tractor alone is almost 36 feet. Of course the weight makes it impractical for anything other than a rolling billboard.

Quote:
The STAA also regulated the length of CMVs. In 1982, Congress established minimum length standards for most commercial truck tractor-semitrailers and for twin trailers pulled behind a truck tractor. (See discussion beginning on page 2.) Congressional involvement in vehicle length reflected the desire to standardize the enforcement of length along the NN and to thereby eliminate any administrative and operating confusion caused by varying State provisions governing commercial vehicle length along that element of U.S. highways.

Quote:
Length limits and other provisions have been adopted for six types of specialized equipment: automobile and boat transporter combinations, B-train combinations, beverage semitrailers, maxi-cube vehicles, saddlemount combinations, and dromedaries.

If you need help using Google feel free to ask. It's really simple.

Originally Posted By: nobb
So with the single axle, are the load carrying capabilities typically less on a European style truck?

While we're talking about semi truck designs, last time I was in China I noticed many of their trucks had dual steering axles up front. Does anyone know why that design is common there?

Not familiar with the Chinese trucks but I'm assuming they're heavily loaded up front. Here, we have twin steers with heavy haul trucks in some applications but I've never seen a Chinese truck.

I never understood completely why there are zero cabovers available in the US. I know a conventional truck would get better fuel mileage. But city deliveries would be much more convenient.

Well I guess there's yard trucks, but those generally don't go on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back