Quitetest 80HP 4-stroke outboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely don't know enough about 4-stroke outboards, but I was not aware of any real loud ones. They always seem remarkably more quiet than the smokers I'm accustomed to. I know the Yamaha and Tohatsu 4-strokes I've used were veru quiet (to me), but they were ~35hp IIRC.

Im not sure about 80HP outboards in specific, however, my family and some friends have Yamaha outboards and they are fantastic. The only problem we have remotely had was it started "peeing" slowly. All we needed to do was use a toothpick (a very expensive and advanced tool) to poke whatever was blocking the exit clear. It is the High Trust 60HP engine and has over 400 hours on it. A friend has a 90HP model and it is even quieter. I can prove as a testament to their low noise levels. We sneak these pontoons out nightly without an issue. You can not tell they are running at idle. I can not compare to the Honda 50HP, though. But I have driven a JC with a Honda 150HP which was quiet, and potent as well. I do NOT like Johnson, Evinrude, or Mercs. This is based on past experience, and we will never go back.

Yeah, I've been looking on YouTube and listening to the engines come up. There is a 4-stroke growl that is altogether different than the 2-stroke whine... Depending on how they implement the 4-stroke, it gets kinda annoying at fuel efficient cruise (say 3,200)...

Anyone run a Tohatsu low pressure direct injection system 2-stroke, like a 90 or a 115? Seems they clear teh Calif CARB clean air standards, so good to go on that front. I hear they are the same as Merc Opti-Max ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Anyone run a Tohatsu low pressure direct injection system 2-stroke, like a 90 or a 115? Seems they clear teh Calif CARB clean air standards, so good to go on that front. I hear they are the same as Merc Opti-Max ...

I run a Tohatsu TLDI 50. No experience with the bigger ones but mine has been great. It does have a bit of air compressor whine at idle, and is not as quiet as a 4 stroke at any speed IMO. I've actually had people at the dock ask me if it was a diesel because of the way it sounds at idle. 4 years, a few hundred hours, maybe 7 gallons of oil. I don't regret it.

You'all have seen my other threads. I'm really looking at the Tohatsu 90 or 115 TLDI 2-stroke.

My beef with all the 4-strokes is that they idle fine, really quiet. But, when you lean on them, they start to growl. I'm so used to the old 2-stroke whine, that this lower frequency growl is nerve wracking... Hard to explain... But it seems it's not my cup of tea...

IF I was upgrading to a 4-stroke, I really like the Merc Sea Pro. Easy to service. HD lower unit. More displacement than HP. But they seem to have a fair number of 'Net conversations about loosing power heads at 300 hrs or so...

E-Tec's look great, but they are $3,000 more than Tohatsu for the same power in the HO models. That's a big bite for the same result more or less... I had a Tohatsu 115 quoted at $8,900 plus rigging. If I can get close to $3,000 for my Honda, I think I'm going that way
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Going to repower for better mid-range cruise. Going from irritatingly noisy 08 Honda BF50 to ... You'all tell me?

Suzuki 4 strokes are very quiet.

Have a 2012 Yamaha F60LA - fairly quiet - run it allot at 4000 or less - sounds a bit like a turbine. (1000cc 4 cylinder)
The builder of that little skiff puts Toho-50's on... Don't like his service, so went with Yamaha - just a deal where the 58 year old owner used to wear diapers in his dad's place - and he still will get on a wrench and guage manifold out back ...

They make an F70LA that is still a 257 pound four stroke in line 4 ... After that they go up in size/weight ...

OK, here's the update: I abandoned the chase for modern technology. TLDI and E-Tec are both great. They actually perform better than many 4-strokes in power and fuel efficiency. But for an occasional use boat/motor, I just can't justify $10K...

So, for the restricted lakes, I made a deal with one of my bud's to use his stern-drive boat in exchange for part of the maintenance. His Mercruiser can go on any lake that allows powered boats...

I bought a nice used low'ish time Evinrude 70HP 3-cylinder looper (loop charged) and will be selling my BF 50 Honda. I'm out $1,200 before rigging. Mostly all I need are new cables for the 'Rude. So for now, I'm just going to 2-stroke whine and smoke
laugh.gif

Back to the future again for a 1961 hull. The boat is now typical of a mid-80's repower... Should top out at around 40+ and cruise very comfortably at 25 with reduced throttle.

Meanwhile I have the independent outboard mechanic I bought it from on the lookout for a 90* V-4 Johnson 88~115... Since it shares the same transom bolt pattern and controls, switch is easy-peasy. If he can find one in excellent shape for low $$, I'll be in the 50 mph club in a few years
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back