2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI - Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
A good friend of mine's wife is a frequent commuter and a couple of years back traded her CR-V in on a VW Golf Wagon TDI. Loved the fuel mileage! 900Km to a tank driving it relatively hard. However, here we are and the vehicle is 5 years old and it has the following issues:

-Rear wiper had to be removed because it "goes in circles". Apparently requires a whole new wiper motor assembly at significant cost.
-Rear gate latch does not work. Must be replaced as an assembly - $500.00. Her husband has rigged up a "wire" that you pull as a temporary solution to this one.
-HVAC smells like old gym socks, this is apparently quite common and is due to mould/mildew in the evaporator housing. He's going to try a cleaner product tonight to deal with this sucked in via the intake, as you can't get direct access to it.

They are hesitant to put any money into it at the moment due to the impending buy-back from VW, which has them looking at other vehicles. The prices for these parts are insane, and make the BMW parts I've purchased looking like a bloody bargain!
crazy2.gif

This is, IMHO, what people think about when they talk about the "dark side" of German vehicle ownership. I will add that the vehicle looks to be put together extremely well (though accessibility underhood-wise is nothing like a bimmer) with great choice of materials and a quality feel inside the vehicle. However when you are replacing latches and motors at 5 years old? That's ridiculous. This does not mirror my experience with BMW over the three of them we've had.

I agree, nothing but issues. I'll post my aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI's issues again. Has 46k miles now. Buying an extended warranty was the BEST idea she ever had with this car, it expires at 60k miles.

It's had around $6,000 in work done to it, not including maintenance

Windows came off track, door panels pulled and regulators tightened.

A/C has awful smell, dealer wanted to charge $200 clean. This was on a 10 month old car, got them to use the coil cleaner on the evaporator for free. That fixed the problem.

Center console rattled like crazy, defective latch. Replaced under warranty entire center console ($500+)

A/C issues. Sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. They put in a new ambient air temperature sensor and a new A/C control module, that didn't fix it. They emptied out the refrigerant and refilled. That didn't fix it. They replaced the compressor, that fixed it. For a little over a year, it's acting up AGAIN.

Squeaking over bumps. Got new sway bar bushings, subframe had to be removed to do it

Steering wheel howls when you turn it, they can't figure it out. I think it needs a new bushing in the steering column

Stopwatch gauge needle was crooked, didn't point to the top. Was $900+ to replace

Battery died after 18 months

Chirping/pinging noise under the hood. Alternator pulley replaced, seemed to help. Still makes a noise now and then.

OEM tires were absolute trash, she somehow made it to around 40k before replacing

That wraps up my experience with VW to the tee. Loved driving them / hated owning them. Moved on and have been very happy. I'm sure other's have had much better ownership experiences but i will not go down that road again.

VW=German/Mexican Mitsubishi-class vehicles.How they are as big of a company as they are now is a mystery.When people wont go back for another,you rely on 1st timers.Eventually they will run out of those who haven't experienced the VW pain.

Interesting situation, they can limp along until VW Canada acts to buy it back ~ however long that could take, or fix these problems now.

I still have my 2004 Passat. This car stranded my son last week due to a failed cam position sensor - the first time the car has ever failed to get from A to B ever in 12 years. Granted it only has 157,000km and has had OCD maintenance from me.

VW are alluring. They tempt with superior fit and finish, the tactile sense says they are hitting above their price point and for this reason alone, IMHO, owners will endure shoddy original parts with early failures more than they would with other brands. It's as if you are driving a fashion model, she's higher maintenance, but she feels so good...I digress :eek:)

I compare my 2013 Maxima to the old Passat, the Maxima does not give you the solid feel of my 12 year old VW, I don't expect to spend as much on maintenance on the Max as the VW, but I do find myself more adoring of the old car.

For your friends, I'd shop the local auto wreckers to see if the wiper motor and hatch latch could be sourced cheaper?

Gate latch is readily available for less than 100.00.

Wiper motor is ~130.00 don't know that you can blame VW for a stripped wiper motor (lot of causes, car washes, turning on when frozen and so forth) or that having to replace the motor would be any different for any make of car.

The gate latch does seem to be fairly common, but the new part is allegedly revised, and there are aftermarket solutions as well.

I realize VW bashing is all the rage around here though so go on...

Last edited:
Loved mine, especially after modifying it. In the end I couldn't keep it forever, and I couldn't take it to just any old shop for repairs. Shame really, as it ticked off so many boxes for me.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Gate latch is readily available for less than 100.00.

Wiper motor is ~130.00 don't know that you can blame VW for a stripped wiper motor (lot of causes, car washes, turning on when frozen and so forth) or that having to replace the motor would be any different for any make of car.

The gate latch does seem to be fairly common, but the new part is allegedly revised, and there are aftermarket solutions as well.

I realize VW bashing is all the rage around here though so go on...

I assume those prices are American? Things are bit more expensive up here, as is parts availability. My Expedition has the original rear wiper motor and close to 200,000 miles on it. There's no excuse for this to happen on a car that's only 5 years old. She doesn't abuse it.

I owned a 67 VW bug when I was in college it was a money pit, I wouldn't buy a GM or VW product even if it is a wheel barrow. I am on my 4th Benz I had a 2011 GL that had lots of issues with the Diesel Exhaust Fluid system, I got rid of it and went backwards to a 2006 E320 CDI and love it. I love diesel.

And rear wiper problems are not unheard of on Expeditons, so ...uh... knock on some wood fast...

Then we could talk about Explorer rear gate finish panels or SMC Mustang deck lids...

Or Air bags that shred people... theres a lot of stuff with issues it shouldn't have...

HVAC odors are very common in all makes, GM actually has bulletins on it...

But let a friend have an issue with a VW and it is thread worthy...

OH and BTW, one of my best friends brother in laws had several M3's and had all sorts of issues with windows and door locks and completely swore off the Marque, then he got a Porsche that blew the engine due to a known problem and PCNA won't help him at all...

Last edited:
And rear wiper problems are not unheard of on Expeditons, so ...uh... knock on some wood fast...

Then we could talk about Explorer rear gate finish panels or SMC Mustang deck lids...

I have the paint coming off the aluminum hood. But that doesn't affect functionality. With close to 200,000 miles and it being 14 years old (9 years older than the vehicle we are discussing) even if the wiper motor was to have an issue (unlikely) it isn't even close to being in the same league as this.

Quote:
Or Air bags that shred people... theres a lot of stuff with issues it shouldn't have...

Yes, and the airbag issue is not brand specific so..... ?

HVAC odors are very common in all makes, GM actually has bulletins on it...

It isn't just the stench (it is well beyond odour at this point) but the fact that all these issues happened within a very short timeframe, which has frustrated the owner.

It is actually, given the context of the upcoming buyback, which is why these issues are being waffled over by the owners, as they WOULD fix them, if they were keeping it, but due to the issues, and the upcoming buy-back, they are thinking about just riding it out until they get their VW settlement and can buy something else.

My diesel mechanic buddy had an earlier PD TDI Jetta ('05) that had absolutely zero issues with the body, interior....etc. But it went through three turbo's (which was mostly due to dealer incompetence admittedly). But that's an engine (the PD) with a known issue with respect to wear, even on the VW spec lubricant. It was a GREAT car though, and he never actually had any PD cam/tappet wear issues (he ran D1 5w-40 in it).

Stuff wears out. Things break. But it is weird stuff like the gate latch pooping the bed so early on and the wiper motor packing it in that just strike me as odd at this age and mileage. If it was 10 years old, instead of 5, I would chalk this up as being normal. And you also have to consider that they had a CR-V before this that was basically problem-free, so coming from that to this.... It isn't a good experience.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

It is actually, given the context of the upcoming buyback, which is why these issues are being waffled over by the owners, as they WOULD fix them, if they were keeping it, but due to the issues, and the upcoming buy-back, they are thinking about just riding it out until they get their VW settlement and can buy something else.

Yeah I can see that, if I was going to let them buy it back (and it applies to Canada) I would not spend any money on it. At least here in the US they would probably get about $5000.00 and get to keep the car if they chose to do so - $5000.00 will fix a lot of niggles....

Oh and speaking of CR-V's, a family member (a very long time Honda owner) traded a 2 year old CR-V with an unfixable dash rattle (Yes Honda Corporate was involved) in on a Prius ... and swore off Honda's. He also traded his Odyssey in on another Prius. It was like a bad break up between him and the Honda Salesman he always dealt with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I agree, nothing but issues. I'll post my aunt's 2013 VW Beetle TDI's issues again. Has 46k miles now. Buying an extended warranty was the BEST idea she ever had with this car, it expires at 60k miles.

It's had around $6,000 in work done to it, not including maintenance

I think I spent less than $5,000 in repair for my previous 1994 LS400 with 380+k miles. I even count thermostat, water pump, radiator hoses ... are repair items. These items are wear&tear: tires, brake pads and rotors, wiper blades ...

I think the first 100-150k/8-10 years I spent less Than $500-1000 for repair. The majority of $5000 was the last 10-12 years.

I was expecting a lot worse based on the title. I don't think that's too bad based on a 5 year old car. My dad used to trade his cars in every five years. Which is when some issues like these would pop up. From GM to Toyota and from transmission whine on the 86 Buick Riviera to start up smoke on the 97 and 01 Camry. With a hefty incentive check possibly on the way I'd hold out. As mentioned some salvage yard parts would bring the cost way down.

Trav has a few VW that he works on and I don't see any complaints from him about them. Honda VCM is a different matter. New VWs are going for dirt cheap so maybe trade it in if a check arrives. Also JHZR2 had one that was fine during his ownership. I'm guessing they're relatively safe since they're German and built for the autobahn.

Originally Posted By: Elevguy
Just do the buy back I'm going to get 21k for a Jetta
How do you know how much you'll get?

Pretty sure I've seen every make here bashed. Par for the course on a site that isn't dedicated to one brand.

Yes, I have had to replace both of those items on customer's cars before.

The wiper mechanism was shattered inside and the customer admitted he left it running in a car wash.

The rear gate latch was bent. Obviously tried to force the door shut on something.

Customers are not always honest, and the manufacturer not always at fault. The HVAC smell can happen, seemingly at random. We always used a BG product and it worked well to clean and sanitize.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I was expecting a lot worse based on the title. I don't think that's too bad based on a 5 year old car. My dad used to trade his cars in every five years. Which is when some issues like these would pop up. From GM to Toyota and from transmission whine on the 86 Buick Riviera to start up smoke on the 97 and 01 Camry. With a hefty incentive check possibly on the way I'd hold out. As mentioned some salvage yard parts would bring the cost way down.

Trav has a few VW that he works on and I don't see any complaints from him about them. Honda VCM is a different matter. New VWs are going for dirt cheap so maybe trade it in if a check arrives. Also JHZR2 had one that was fine during his ownership. I'm guessing they're relatively safe since they're German and built for the autobahn.

I guess expectations vary
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back