FRAM XG 9688 unknown miles, CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my friend took his 2011 Hyundai Sonata along with this filter to a quick lube for oil change. They put oil and this filter in and on but left drain plug loose. He got maybe 5mikea and oil light came on. I told him to have it towed to my place. I have some new drain plugs for Hyundai/Kia and crush washers and OEM filters. I put a new drain plug, crush washer and OEM filter on along with some M1 5w20. He drove it maybe 4 days then brought it back and I put some more M1 5w20 in. Filter did its job considering. Car is doing well now.

2zsb1fk.jpg

sde43p.jpg

r0rtat.jpg

somkk0.jpg

10qm6tu.jpg

They paid for a OEM filter, crush washer and oil and he doesn't want anything more out of them. He said he will never, ever use a quick lube again though

I changed the filter since I had never cut open a FU filter. I have a ULTRA on my focus but it's 14k away til I cut that open. Also replaced filter to see what junk it caught which was lots

Originally Posted By: car51
They paid for a OEM filter, crush washer and oil and he doesn't want anything more out of them. He said he will never, ever use a quick lube again though

thumbsup2.gif

I was with him in case he tried to injure someone as p.o'ed as he was. He said "if my engine conks out, this car will be dropped here and you will call me when the rebuild is complete!" You don't wanna pi** off this friend of mine
smile.gif

Hearing this story really boils my blood!!! How the shop can be so negligent when working on someone's car is outrageous.

car51 - It looks like quite a bit of junk. I definitely would be angry and might push for more than a filter, a crush washer and oil change. Did you have enough oil for a UOA for the evidence bag?

Now I know why I do not use quick oil change places.

Last edited:
There was no oil in the car when it was dropped off by my towing friend(who we use at my workplace). I have some friends at local Hyundai dealer so we shall see if the engine lunches itself. I checked dipstick today bit ago and no metal on there. This weekend I'll put another FU filter on and cut the OEM one open. Anyone know why a 3593A and 9588 can both be used on Kia/Hyundai? I'm just curious so thanks in advance

Had something similar happen to a friend's Lincoln about 10 years ago. Car was brand new and he took it to a quickie place for it's first OC against his better judgement. Someone left the original seal on the block when they installed the new filter. Needless to say the dealer installed a brand new engine at the expense of the lube place.

There was no oil in the car when it was dropped off by my towing friend(who we use at my workplace). I have some friends at local Hyundai dealer so we shall see if the engine lunches itself. I checked dipstick today bit ago and no metal on there. This weekend I'll put another FU filter on and cut the OEM one open. Anyone know why a 3593A and 9588 can both be used on Kia/Hyundai? I'm just curious so thanks in advance

Only difference I see between those two filters are the 3593A is slightly shorter and has a 15 PSI bypass, the 9688 has a 8-12 PSI bypass. There is obvious damage to that engine even though it seems to run fine but now the lube place is off the hook since you saved it in mid-distruction.

Anyone know why a 3593A and 9688 can both be used on Kia/Hyundai? ...

They can both be used because they are the same size and specs 'externally.'

However unlike Wix and Puro, Fram make a distinction with Hyundai/Kia showing only the 9688 recommended for H/K. As noted it has a wider bypass range 9-15psi vs 12psi for 3593A. To keep the Fram filter warranty on an H/K, the 9688 should be used.

Wix and Purolator make no such distinction. They use the 51334, and 10241 respectively for both H/K and others like older Hondas. Fram recommends the 3593A for the Hondas.

It reminds me of Wix specing a special separate filter with a high bypass spec for some Subaru similar to the OEM, where other manufacturers (Fram, Purolator) make no distinction. And depending on who one believes here, it may or may not matter.

Your friend should keep careful track of oil level for usage. And shortening this oci/fci wouldn't be a bad idea imo. Obviously, pretty bad screw up by the quick lube.

I wont be jumping to conclusions folks as he has driven the car hard since then without issues

It may run OK, but based on the metal trapped in the filter, there was some serious destruction going on inside that engine. I'd be bringing those cut filters with all metal debris showing inside to the quick lube place and talking to the manager about getting a new engine.

Well, he went back to the quick lube with the pictures. They agreed to pay for engine stuff as he brought it to the dealer for Hyundai I use for work. I say get it fixed right on quick lines dime. They gave him a nice 16' Sonata rental
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back