Deep tranny pan worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any reason to install a deeper pan for my truck?
Limited towing or hauling . 4R70W, 5.4 L
Installed BM drain plug, new filter and Castrol Mercon V less than 5k ago.
Had to drain a pint or two the other day and now plug has a slow leak

Plan is to TRY to siphon some of the fluid into clean jug using a pump I have. If that doesn't work, dropping corner of pan and trying the same.

Keeping filter in it since it is so new.
136k right now, first filter change. Have had dealer flush in past.

Plan 1
Take pan to shop to weld BM plug in it.
Does it need a gasket???

Plan 2
Bite the bullet and buy a deeper pan with plug.
Worth it?

Any reason to buy Motorcraft Mercon V instead of the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MISAYA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Six quarts I have in it? Probably a mix of what the dealer flushed with already.

Last edited:
I have towed a 5,500 pound-30 foot travel trailer coast to coast with the stock transmission cooler, in my Silverado. I assume your Ford is as durable. The tranny cooler is about the size of a large book.

I drained the Dex6 out at 50,000 miles and it still visually looked real good. I have 57,000 miles on my Silverado with about half of those miles towing.

Save your money and don't worry about it. If it has a tow package from the factory you are fine.

If you have made it this far why worry?

Last edited:
A deeper pan will only increase the time it takes to get up to temp. Provides more buffer through increased mass. Of course, it will also take longer to cool once it does.

Your experience is why I don't like those drain plug kits. I used one once and it leaked like its job was to oil the driveway. Never again.

Another option is the UHaul 4R70W pan. A factory pan with drain plug bung welded in. Made special for UHaul corp.
uhaul.jpg

http://adtr.net/product/ford-crown-victoria/ford-u-haul-transmission-pan-w-drain-plug/

To save the fluid, take the cooler line off and have someone start the truck while you watch. When your jug is getting full or it starts spitting, have them shut it off. Ive done this before when I screwed up a JMod on the 4R70W in the CVPI. I was able to save a gallon or so.

Any licensed Mercon V will be similar, and Ive used the Castrol before, but my favorite is Schaeffer's #204SAT. Ive never had anything work better in these transmissions. Its expensive, but lasts a long time. You might see if you have a local distributor.

Last edited:
That uhaul pan is expensive. Dorman makes one for $27 with a drain plug.

I added a plug to mine 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. I used an anaerobic gasket maker though when I put it in, I had heard of many problems with them leaking otherwise.
I have done 3 drains with it and still no leaking.

I have used Supertec Merc V as well as Maxlife ATF and they both seem to work fine.

Last edited:
I've run deeper pans in off-road situations where you get steep side hills and hard climbs. You can run them a pt low on the dip stick which keeps fluid from coming out the breather. It helps, but only if you get the filter extension to lower the filter and the pick-up into the additional fluid...

For a stock filter height, I'd use a stock pan depth. But I would get one with a drain plug seeing as it has to come off anyway to fix the leak ...

Originally Posted By: blupupher
That uhaul pan is expensive. Dorman makes one for $27 with a drain plug.

I added a plug to mine 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. I used an anaerobic gasket maker though when I put it in, I had heard of many problems with them leaking otherwise.
I have done 3 drains with it and still no leaking.

I have used Supertec Merc V as well as Maxlife ATF and they both seem to work fine.

Would black silicone work on the outside and inside?
Instead of me having it welded? Will look at the dorman pan

Last edited:
Probably going with the dorman since I have to take the pan off.
Thinking the welding will cost me half as much as the pan.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why would the UHaul pan have a drain plug?

They don't maintain their vehicles at all

LOL!
Maybe so when a customer abuses the tranny before the factory warranty is up, they can change the brown, burnt fluid to make it look like new before they take it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why would the UHaul pan have a drain plug?

They don't maintain their vehicles at all

No clue, but I don't have direct confimation that is the reason it exists. Just what as been posted all over the intertubes.

If not them, then someone with a pretty big contract I would think in order to get Ford to produce a separate trans pan and install it on their transmissions. Thats gotta be a nightmare at the plant to keep straight.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Probably going with the dorman since I have to take the pan off.
Thinking the welding will cost me half as much as the pan.

I had a Dorman for my GM and returned it. It was actually slightly shallower than the stock pan and wasn't as thick as the stock pan. I just went with a reusable gasket. It's not a big deal to drop the pan, clean it out and replace the filter. More benefits than just pulling the plug and if you have a magnet on the pan bottom, you can clean it at the same time.

Last edited:
Had them all on a small fleet through the years. Ford part number F8UZ-7A194-AA (U-Haul) is the best and the easiest. Colt posted a good link above. Dorman is OK for a 100k miles only, too many small issues. The plug, mentioned above, will work with RTV or better Toyota goo. The U-Haul pan is set it and forget. It all depends, of course.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEEP-ALUMINUM-TRANSMISSION-PAN-AOD-AODE-4R70W-4R70E-4R75E-FORD-MUSTANG-F150-/111878609306?hash=item1a0c7c199a:g:ijoAAOSwGotWnRXI&vxp=mtr

This outfit is probably the best deal for aluminum pans. You can get them in black for another $30.

Fixed that same plug problem - gave up on RTV - tossed what it came with and use copper crush gaskets (assortment pack eBay) ...
LPD cooler & Derale remote filter ... 4 qts + filter is 20 minutes and clean job

I had a leaking issue with the first B&M drain plug I installed, but then I RTFM and discovered they say to only tighten the internal nut to 25 ft/lbs. Have had no leaks on the next 5 I installed in various vehicles...an F150, a T-bird, 2 Marauders, and a Grand Marquis.

The U-Haul pan is slick, though.

Going to pull the pan and try the aluminum crush washers I have on both sides

LMAO. NOW I read the installation instructions. Washer goes on outside

Last edited:
At 45,000 miles I put a PML transmission pan on my F150 with 4R70W. Its was the cheapest with extra capacity. It has a magnet in the drain plug and platforms to hold the filter in place. At 280,000 miles and 50,000 OCI's, I have been very happy with the pan, zero transmission troubles. I use the OE reusable gaskets. My torque converter has a drain plug so I get most everything out on a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back