Car stereo choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with Crutchfield. Their tech support is great and the directions were super easy to follow. I'd also buy some panel popping tools if you don't have some already. Beats breaking everything with a screwdriver and putty knife.

And I bought a $110 or so JVC. Bluetooth works great, stereo works great. I think easy to use...

While I love and am amazed by the cheap, single DIN, DVD player I put in the dash of our motorhome, a nice old car is another story.

I was going to install a radio similar the one you want to replace (this one works really well), but decided I wanted a little more;

I love the unit I went with, but it is not a project for everyone.

Many will ask why, the answer is because I really like it and I can (and I have $50 in it). Even did a little write up on the subject.

http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?65641-Later-Double-Din-Radios-Into-Older-GMs

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Well that is an option. I also am concerned about the look of the aftermarket faceplate filler used for single DIN head units in A-Bodies as they look kinda boxy.

Originally Posted By: 007
Well that is an option. I also am concerned about the look of the aftermarket faceplate filler used for single DIN head units in A-Bodies as they look kinda boxy.

There are a couple or three different style adapters for GM single DIN from DIN 1.5 (with and w/o wood grain). The single DIN ones that protrude (the A-body dash depth is very shallow) look really bad IMHO.

The room in the dash of my B-body where I stuffed my monstrosity (I even added a bigger heat sink to the side) is only rivaled by your G-body.

Originally Posted By: CorvairGeek

There are a couple or three different style adapters for GM single DIN from DIN 1.5 (with and w/o wood grain). The single DIN ones that protrude (the A-body dash depth is very shallow) look really bad IMHO.

The room in the dash of my B-body where I stuffed my monstrosity (I even added a bigger heat sink to the side) is only rivaled by your G-body.

All the G-Body adapters I have seen look the same and not good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I like that you can change display color. Hopefully one of them matches the rest of your car's illumination.

I have Nakamichi CD-400 in my S2000. It has 2 display colors: Green and amber. The amber matches S2000 illumination perfectly.

Also, the face is very simple just like OEM.

CD400.jpg

I have an Alpine 154BT-CDE that does CD, iPod/USB, BT (with built in Pandora app for streaming). I actually pulled it out of my old car recently and it's for sale but shipping may break that deal. It's a single din.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I like that you can change display color. Hopefully one of them matches the rest of your car's illumination.

I have Nakamichi CD-400 in my S2000. It has 2 display colors: Green and amber. The amber matches S2000 illumination perfectly.

CD400.jpg

Nice and plain. How does it sound.

CD400.jpg

It sounds much better than OEM system. OEM was Clarion headunit with built-in 5-6 RMS watt/ch and a pair of speaker in the door. I can clearly hear music at 80-85 MPH with top down.

I installed Nakamichi CD-400 with pre-amp out to 60 RMS watt/ch Boston Acoustics amp to a pair of Infinity speakers in the door and another pair(driven with Nakamichi 5-6 RMS watt/ch) on the rear panel for fill. Total cost was about $1000 plus $300-400 labor.

Last edited:

In 86 everything was white so that's easy! LOL

CD400.jpg

It sounds much better than OEM system. OEM was Clarion headunit with built-in 5-6 RMS watt/ch and a pair of speaker in the door. I can clearly hear music at 80-85 MPH with top down.

I installed Nakamichi CD-400 with pre-amp out to 60 RMS watt/ch Boston Acoustics amp to a pair of Infinity speakers in the door and another pair(driven with Nakamichi 5-6 RMS watt/ch) on the rear panel for fill. Total cost was about $1000 plus $300-400 labor.

Back in 1984 when I bought my first new vehicle a 1984 S10 Blazer I spent $1500 for a complete Kenwood system installed which included a pure pull out tuner unit, seperate amp and four speakers. It sounded REAL nice. Boy have I gotten cheap in my old age!

Last edited:

Back in 1984 when I bought my first new vehicle a 1984 S10 Blazer I spent $1500 for a complete Kenwood system installed which included a pure pull out tuner unit, seperate amp and four speakers. It sounded REAL nice. Boy have I gotten cheap in my old age!

I can relate to that a lot. I removed the Mitsubishi component system (yes, they really made aftermarket radios at one time) that I installed in this car when it was new (my first new car too) for this project. 1984 was the last year of the awful, dual shaft radios in B-bodies, so I bought a loaded, no radio car.

I've always like Alpines...excellent SQ, easy to use, plenty of features, and nice looking...

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
+1 on Pioneer. They have the best sound quality and are the easiest to operate while driving, and also have the cleanest looks of any stereo available right now. You can get the most in-depth operation and feature details and reviews on Pioneer at Crutchfield. Then you can check Sonic Electronix or Amazon to see if they have better prices. Watch yourself on Amazon though, be sure the seller is an authorized Pioneer retailer.

Crutchfield has higher prices but if you buy from them you get free lifetime installation help and technical support, and their technical department is actually very good and based in Virginia. Crutchfield also provides free "Master Sheet" instruction sheets to help you with the installation and free or very low priced installation parts depending on the price of the new deck. You will need an installation kit to mount the new deck in the dash, a wire harness to connect the new deck to the existing factory radio wire plug and an adapter to change the GM mini antenna plug over to the standard Motorola style antenna jack on an aftermarket deck. It is super easy to install a new deck in your Regal.

It's good to see someone else from Clermont here on BITOG.
Pioneer Elite is all I buy, and have been delighted with every one I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back