Grand Canyon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am driving from Colorado to Las Vegas, and LA, with an in-law, and I have allocated a couple of days at the Grand Canyon (South Rim). I have booked a room (affordable for me) in Williams, AZ, about an hour from the GC.

Once I get to the GC, are there any specific activities I should do, such as tours, hikes, etc? I don't just want to hangout in the visitors center. Do I need to reserve anything ahead of time?

Would appreciate some advice from anyone with experience. Thanks.

As you approach Grand Canyon Village you'll pass Desert View Drive on your right. If you go east on Desert View about 2.5 miles you'll see a gated double track on your left heading north. It's about a 1 mile walk through pines to a small picnic area and wonderful views and you could have it all to yourself. Also, sunrise at Mather Point is breathtaking. Everyone looks at the sunrise but the real beauty is looking east and watching the shadows fade and the colors come up.

Had a friend just kayak in the GC last week.

t...amp;oe=57DC7CA9

Video

https://www.facebook.com/Kimsgrandfield/videos/1025814944166942/

If you want to get in the canyon fast take the South Kaibab trail. Make sure to allocate 2x or 3x amount of time to get back out. You can see really cool stuff fast on that trail. You can also do a mule ride. The visitors center was disappointing to me but it is a hub for all the shuttles if you want rides to the Village and the various trail heads.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide to do try to do it as early as you can get up and around. The butt-crack of dawn isn't too early, you're beat some of the 25,000 other people there that day and it's a little warm here right now...

I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in about 10 years. From what I hear, the South Rim is a little more beautiful to see, but the tourism level is MUCH less so there's less crowds.

You're talking North Rim vs South Rim. They're 12 miles apart but a hard 1/2 day drive. The NR is what I'd imagine the SR was like 75 years ago. There's less parking than a super Walmart and way less people. It's much higher and just a different feel.

The OP could go from Williams to the NR, go east to Desert View the south on 89 to Flagstaff and make a loop. Nice full day.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up doing the South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge. About 3 miles RT.

It was hot, but it was not nearly as bad as I expected. But we were prepared, and got an early start. Easy to see how you could get into a bad situation.

just to the east of the south rim outside the park has some places you can go to, it is not as dramatic impressive as the park but still great to see.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.947984,-111.6732324,13.26z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back