Filter for 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, back with another filter question

Looking at changing the oil soon on my 2013 Jeep with the 5.7 Hemi. Last 2 changes have used Purolator Pure One filters. I was actually looking for a "bulk" option as I just realized that 3 of my cars use the same filter size (m1-210, Fram PH2 for reference or this link ).

I was looking at either Mobil 1 M1-210s, or Fram Pro Synthetic FPS2. It looks like the Fram Pro's are $40 with free shipping for 6, making them 6.67 a filter. From what i've read they're the same as the Ultra's without the grip.

Does anyone know a particular filter (out of those choices or any others) that works better/worse with the Chrysler Hemi's? I dont NEED to get them in bulk at all, I just want something that will let this engine last a long time.

I had some less than desireable experiences with the Mobil 1 M1-210 in weather less then 10°F in NW Ohio where I formerly lived. I switched to Mopar MO-899 filters in winter with base end bypass and the big problem of metal on metal screeching on first startup of the day went away.

Link to Details in Prior Thread

I'm currently running Mopar MO-899 filters in winter (Oct. - Mar.) and Purolator Synthetic PSL24651 filters in summer (Apr. - Oct.). I got the PSL24651 filters at KMart on sale for about the same price you're seen for the Fram FPS2 filters. I have two Fram XG2 filters in my stash to try as well. I'm using up the Purolator Synthetic filters first since they have earlier build dates, and are rated for up to 10K miles O/FCI.

FWIW my current fill of PPPP 5W-20 has about 4K miles on it including a 1,350 mile stretch towing a laden 5' X 8" U-Haul trailer in summer temperatures from OH to TX and the oil is lighter color at 4K miles than any other time while I've owned the truck, which I attribute to the efficiency of the PSL filter. The Fram XG2 & FPS2 should have even better effects based on reported efficiency.

I probably won't experience ambient temperatures less than 10°F in my current location, but I'm going to use up what I have in my stash and I'll be in good shape if I happen to take a road trip north in the winter with my current strategy.

Until M1 goes wire-backed synthetic media, they're not worth the price. Not even close. FPS2 is pretty similar to Fram Ultra, as far as I can tell. So go with it. I've been using RP and Fram Ultra wire-backed synthetic media filters on my Hemi exclusively since the first oil change.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Until M1 goes wire-backed synthetic media, they're not worth the price. Not even close. FPS2 is pretty similar to Fram Ultra, as far as I can tell. So go with it. I've been using RP and Fram Ultra wire-backed synthetic media filters on my Hemi exclusively since the first oil change.

Is the wire backed in place of the "holes" for better flow?

Mine (2012 ram) has been on free 5-6k dealer oil and filter changes (pyb 5w20 and mo-899) since new but ran out of free ones awhile back....moved to pppp 5w30 and fram ultra xg2 with 6-7k oci...couldnt be happier...I know 6-7k is a waste..just my preference...one thing I noticed right away is it gets quieter much quicker on cold starts in the morning...pretty sure thats the silicone adbv in the ultra doing a better job than the oem filter.

Last edited:
Well guys, I just jumped on some Fram ultra XG2s from rock auto for $4 a piece ($6 a piece including shipping). I ordered 4 of them. Thanks for the tips and experience with your Hemi's.

After the change I'll be interested to see if the digital pressure reading at idle changes at all. I'm doubting it will, but I'll still record before and after.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
After the change I'll be interested to see if the digital pressure reading at idle changes at all. I'm doubting it will, but I'll still record before and after.

It shouldn't change at idle (other other factors kept constant). It might however change at much higher RPM where the oil pump may go into pressure relief.

Don't make it complicated, if you want the engine to last a long time as you say just use a Mopar Filters.
I think you could me mistaken about all your vehicles using the same filter judging by your signature.
TOTO.

Since Mopar filters are made by whoever gets the bid I would be cautious about them. Those Frams are pretty nice units.

Our Hemi RAM is at over 30k miles now with M1 0W-20 and Fram filters. We change by the OLM, and have enjoyed it tremendously.

The Hemis are not hard on oil despite the HP, just a bit of fuel dilution if you don't get out on the road once in a while.

Folks here can reach nearly 10k on a PYB 5w20 fill. They are very easy on oil indeed.

The XG2's will serve you well, but as mentioned, if all your cars are in your signature, the XG2 wont work for the 1997 ZJ at least. (Different threads.) No idea on the Caliber.

Sorry guys, just to clarify the 3 cars that could potentially use the Fram XG2 (or FoMoCo FL820s, or any equivalent to those) are

2013 Jeep with the 5.7 Hemi
Caliber SRT
and 2008 Mustang GT.

In the end, I'm looking at using the Fram Ultra's on the Jeep and the Caliber. I've been using the FL820s on the mustang for awhile now, and from what I understand its a pretty nice filter for its price (And I usually change that by time not mileage).
----------------------------------------------------------------
Question though... My new fram ultras arrived, and I notice the holes in the top plate are quite small compared to any others in my stash (Mobil 1 EP, Fl820s, and a Pure 1). Are there any concerns with oil flow through this? I'm thinking not, but I haven't been able to find any flow ratings compared between filters. I was thinking of starting a new topic to see if there is a flow list out there.

HemiHawk - I am going to give you the yellow flag on the Motorcraft FL-820S. I tore one and there are other users which have had torn FL-820S. There are better filters than FL-820S.

Question though... My new fram ultras arrived, and I notice the holes in the top plate are quite small compared to any others in my stash (Mobil 1 EP, Fl820s, and a Pure 1). Are there any concerns with oil flow through this? I'm thinking not, but I haven't been able to find any flow ratings compared between filters. I was thinking of starting a new topic to see if there is a flow list out there.

This has been brought of a few times in the past. Conclusion is that the total summed area of all the holes in the base plate is still more than the total area of the main oil flow hole in the mounting spud on the engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

This has been brought of a few times in the past. Conclusion is that the total summed area of all the holes in the base plate is still more than the total area of the main oil flow hole in the mounting spud on the engine.

awesome, thanks for the info. I had kind of seen reference too it, but no one actually saying "its fine". I know flow isnt as simple as who has the "biggest holes" but when you put them side-by-side you cant help but wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back