Online Oil Viscosity Selectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever run your car through an oil selector ?

This is what I get:

2000 Buick LeSabre
1. Pennzoil says 10W-30 PYB or 10W-30 PYB/HM as an alternate
2. Shell says 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum only and nothing else
3. Castrol says 5W-30 GTX-HM with 10W-30 GTX/HM and 5W-30 Magnatec as being the alternates
4. Mobil says 10W-30 for everything

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You guys ever run your car through an oil selector ?

This is what I get:

2000 Buick LeSabre
1. Pennzoil says 10W-30 PYB or 10W-30 PYB/HM as an alternate
2. Shell says 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum only and nothing else
3. Castrol says 5W-30 GTX-HM with 10W-30 GTX/HM and 5W-30 Magnatec as being the alternates
4. Mobil says 10W-30 for everything

Interesting. I'd like to run my cars through those selectors. Do you have links for them? Thanks.

Doesn't your car say 5w30 on the oil fill cap though?

I am surprised you aren't using either a xxw30 HDEO or some A3/B3 xxw30.

I ran mine through oil selectors a few times, and over the years they changed the specs. Case in point my 08 Liberty. XOM said 5w20 only for the longest time, which is what the OM calls for. Then they added 5W30. Last time I looked they removed 5W30 and added 0W20 in it's place.

I used the one on the Mobil site for my Honda. Said to use the 0w20, but could also use 0w30. Honda of course calls for the 0w20.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Nah ... it says 10W-30. In my mind I know 5W-30 is perfectly safe, but still feel like I'm being disloyal to the car for contemplating an oil viscosity that's only recommended by the manufacturer for use below zero degrees Fahrenheit. I want to try that Castrol Magnetec with its magnetic molecules, but Walmart only stocks it in 5W-20 and 5W-30. The parts store has Magnetec 10W-30, but at double the price.

Nah ... it says 10W-30. In my mind I know 5W-30 is perfectly safe, but still feel like I'm being disloyal to the car for contemplating an oil viscosity that's only recommended by the manufacturer for use below zero degrees Fahrenheit. I want to try that Castrol Magnetec with its magnetic molecules, but Walmart only stocks it in 5W-20 and 5W-30. The parts store has Magnetec 10W-30, but at double the price.
Just gotta pony up the cash. Does that extra $15 really matter over the course of X months?

The parts store has Magnetec 10W-30, but at double the price.

Just get some Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 and quit being cheap.
wink.gif
Oh, and if Walmart does ever get rid of 10w-30 in your neck of the woods, you're clearly royally screwed.

I used the Penrite viscosity selector and it reccomended one of their various 20w50 or 20w60 oils, which seems reasonable as my manual specs 20w40 or 20w50 for warm climates, then i used a selector from a company here in spain and it said 10w30 or 5w20 , i'm sure the 10w30 would be ok but 5w20?? Where the [censored] did they get that from when i think Ford has never specced 5w20 for any car in Europe, and in the 70s in Europe Fords came factory filled with 20w50 fot the V6s and 10w40 for the 4 pots

We use them all the time at work - what oil and how much, it's good, no need to have books that need updating every year.

Nah ... it says 10W-30. In my mind I know 5W-30 is perfectly safe, ...........

You are a funny man. Not long ago you said only 10w-30 was authorized by the OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back