Can Am Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I got the Can Am Spider from PA. It's now in Florida. It looks nice yet. It won't need anything in the way of tires or belt. It was inside. The Feds decided to write all over the windshield and it is probably ruined as well as the rear turn signals are gone so I am not sure if they decided to take it apart and didn't put it all back together. I will have to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Other than that it looks Great. I am discovering that owning this is like owning a new Mercedes-Benz in you aren't meant to do anything but drive it. To change the battery looks like major disassembly. You can't even check the oil without removing a cover. Who engineers this stuff. It's like the New Polaris 570. Tons of storage space, but they forgot the battery so it's just basically strapped on the frame in the only bare spot. Don't you think you should make checking your oil a hassle free experience. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I think this project may take this one to the shop. I see my frustration building Everytime I watch a YouTube video on how you do something. Way over designed or under designed not sure. Maybe I will take it to a shop to get it running and serviced and take over the maintenance from there gradually. Crazy.

If it were taken apart by federal LEO hacks, the evidence of poor work should be easy to spot. If that really did happen, then you are the proud owner of a parts trike, since it would involve way too much disassembly and inspection to confirm whether it's safe to use or not.
Shopping this machine might be wise. The dealer techs will know what to look for and at especially if you tell them that it was taken apart by idiots. I do doubt that this was the case, since had the Feds taken it down they wouldn't have bothered to put it back together again.
You don't want to be booming down the road on this machine only to discover that you suddenly have no brakes, though, so an inspection by guys who know the machine well would be wise and well worth the coin.

I 2nd the post purchase inspection by a Can Am tech. Plus, welcome to modern motorsport engineering. You should see how the Italians packed everything inside the trellis frame and under the farings and tank on my Duc. Have to pull most of the farings and remove the tank just to change the air filter.

Not unusual...and not just the Italians! (My mother's Savage called for pulling the gas tank to change the air filter.) If you want a migraine, check the valve adjustment procedure on a V-rod. It's not Ducati-bad, but it's pretty bad.

I just think that would really be a turn off. I seriously dont think I would buy a bike new that was such a pain to service. I bought the Triumph and everything is pretty easy to get at. I thought I can service this myself, oil easy to check. Straight forward. Really turned off by the complication of the Can Am. Maybe the ride and performance will make it worth while. I just see having to take it everytime it needs something to a dealership being a added price to ownership, I am not good with. But, hey thats the new modern biker. My brotherinlaw and his wife big riders. They came down for bike week. He had to take his Harley to the dealership to change the oil. I said, we can do that its a cinch. He is like, I dont know how, I better just take it to the dealership for them to do it. They ride all over the United States. Cant change his own oil, new generation of bikers.

Last edited:
Sports cars and bikes used to be all about owner involvement.
They were made to be easy to work on.
I guess not anymore.
When an owner can't do an oil change on something as rudimentary as a Harley, there's something wrong with the sales model of the maker as well as the basic mechanical skills of the owner.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sports cars and bikes used to be all about owner involvement.
They were made to be easy to work on.
I guess not anymore.
When an owner can't do an oil change on something as rudimentary as a Harley, there's something wrong with the sales model of the maker as well as the basic mechanical skills of the owner.

How did Harley get dragged into this? :eek:) Topic is about Can Am.
Since it did get dragged into it, I own a 2014 Harley Road King and I can testify under oath that changing the Road Kings oil could not be made any easier and more simple then it is.

Last edited:
I don't think the main focus was on Harley, but the fact that an increasing number of people can't handle the simplest of maintenance tasks. And it's not just the general public.

An example: One of my best friends whom I worked with on a Top Fuel team, now is a Salesman at a BMW car dealership. He had his own Funny Car at one time, and can perform pretty much any mechanical repair a vehicle might need.

I was talking to him the other day, and he tells me that NONE of the Techs working in the dealerships Service Department, is capable of fixing anything. Their ability extends to hooking up a code reader, and then replacing parts until the problem goes away. Diagnosing anything and then fixing it, is beyond their abilities. They are parts changers, nothing more. This at a Dealership that sells expensive high-end cars.

He did say that the Dealership used to have some competent Techs, but they have all since left to run their own repair shops.

My point: Even a Dealership might not employ competent service Techs. That's why I advocate for learning how to do at least simple maintenance tasks like an oil change, yourself.

It isn't that difficult to check the oil level in a Can Am Spyder. The panel that needs to be removed is secured with three dzus fasteners. Quarter-turn and released. It's a dry sump engine so with the engine warm, I remove the panel, then idle the engine for about 30 seconds, shut-off and check the level. No big deal. I'm running Amsoil 10w-40 (MCF) and only add about 8oz in 4,000 miles on my 2009 RS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back