'91 Mazda B2600i transfer case and trans oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '91 Mazda B2600i 4x4 with manual 5-speed that has gone neglected too long. I recently got my MaxJax 2-post lift installed, so it has motivated me to give the truck a little TLC. First thing I want to go is change out the oil in the transfer case and transmission, but I am having trouble finding the exact spec for oil in either. I know in my older (90's) Jeeps, I have always used Syncromesh in the transmissions and ATF in the transfer cases...will this be the same for the Mazda?

Interesting. Would Syncromesh not be a better option for the manual transmission?

Maybe. Maybe not. If you are up for trying it, give it a shot.
Ive done the same thing (syncromesh in a ATF manual), but that was a Saturn, so I don't know how the Mazda M5OD will react.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Maybe. Maybe not. If you are up for trying it, give it a shot.
Ive done the same thing (syncromesh in a ATF manual), but that was a Saturn, so I don't know how the Mazda M5OD will react.

This truck does not have an M5OD. The M5OD was only used in Ford trucks, and "Ford clone Mazdas.". The only Mazda brand vehicles to use an M5OD was the Ranger-clone B-Series trucks, and the Explorer-clone Mazda Navajo.

1993 and older Mazda B-Series trucks are NOT Ranger clones and they have nothing in common with Rangers. Only 1994 and newer Mazda B-Series trucks are Ranger clones. The OP has a 1991, thus it is not a Ranger clone, and does not have an M5OD.

I held off on changing the oil today, as I am still not sure what is spec'd for the transmission and transfer case. The computer at Advance calls for a GL-4 75-90w in both....but didn't carry it. I actually have several quarts of Pennzoil GL-5 80-90w, but didn't feel too comfortable pouring it in either. My concern is the syncros in the transmission, but have always heard that Syncromesh is safe.

Either way, I am more confused than when I started.
wink.gif
The truck shifts pretty well now, and don't want to cause any problems. Normally, I would just leave it alone, but it has gone too long without being changed.

Originally Posted By: Jason280
I held off on changing the oil today, as I am still not sure what is spec'd for the transmission and transfer case. The computer at Advance calls for a GL-4 75-90w in both....but didn't carry it. I actually have several quarts of Pennzoil GL-5 80-90w, but didn't feel too comfortable pouring it in either. My concern is the syncros in the transmission, but have always heard that Syncromesh is safe.

Either way, I am more confused than when I started.
wink.gif
The truck shifts pretty well now, and don't want to cause any problems. Normally, I would just leave it alone, but it has gone too long without being changed.

Yes, 80W90 is the way to go for components wear protection ...... in longer terms perspective.
GL5 would be good with tcase without synchroniser, try get a GL4 for manual trans or a reputable GL5 that claims to carry GL4 for the synchronizers.
Current GL5 doesn't eat bronze/copper , btw.
Just my 0.02
blush.gif

Last edited:
Ok, now I am confused as ever. First of all, it's next to impossible to find a GL-4 rated 75w90. Valvoline offers an 80w90 that is GL-4 and GL-5 rated, and reasonably priced. Interestingly enough, the computer at Advance states that you can use GL-4 or GL-5 for the trans and transfer case.

Time to clear up the confusion...

The transmission in your Mazda is a R5MX-D.
Remember that you have two drain, and two fill plugs in the transmission case.

Both the transfer case and transmission spec the same thing:

API GL-4 OR GL-5, with 75w-90 for all-season usage, and 80w-90 in temps above 50°F.

Advance carries Valvoline SynPower 75w-90, which is MT-1 rated for $12.49/quart.
You'll need six quarts to service both the transmission and transfer case.

Remember to purchase online, and pick up at your local store - you'll save 30% this way ($22.48 to be exact).

Your Pennzoil mineral GL5 80W90 offers higher MOFT and free of VII's.
Most synthetics 75W90 comes with VII content.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Your Pennzoil mineral GL5 80W90 offers higher MOFT and free of VII's.
Most synthetics 75W90 comes with VII content.

I appreciate the information, but I have no idea what any of that means.

I went ahead and picked up 6 quarts of the Valvoline 80w-90, its GL-4 and GL-5 rated. Worst case scenario, I can simply change the fluid again once temps get below 50*...if that is really necessary. Is there that much difference between a 75w-90 and 80w-90 gear oil? Also, the Valvoline is labeled "limited slip" on the bottle, any reason it may cause syncro or shifting problems in the transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back