How to cut power to breaker box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCN2416_zpsg2di6jjk.jpg

DSCN2414_zps66tk6tlx.jpg

DSCN2418_zps7h60rbij.jpg

One of my neighbors told me that all I have to do is turn off the main breaker. I'm assuming the main breaker is that white 60 amp double pole breaker in the middle. The breaker I need to change out is the green 30 amp double pole breaker marked "A/C" to left. The breaker trips whenever the sun is shining directly on the breaker box and I have the A/C running. It tripped today and it was only 102F outside. I forgot the brand name of the breakers, but they are very old and have a well known name.

Most all those breakers on the box came with the house when it was built in 1963. There's a place across town called "Circuit Solutions" that sell rebuilt breakers. The breakers on my box are no longer available brand new. The place insists that I give them my old breaker as a core. The breakers are kind of rare I take it. So do I just flip the 60 amp breaker off and then pull out the breaker I want ? The white 60 amp breaker turns off everything in the house.

I believe you need to get a hold of the power company and have them cut power to the box.

Looks like an upgrade to the breakers and the mains might be in order.

Those look like zinsco breakers. They're well known for starting fires. I'd consider an all new box, for which you'll need an electrician and cooperation from the power company. (They remove their meter which has a wire seal proving you didn't let yourself in.)

You can turn off the main breaker to repair sub-breakers, but beware once the cover comes off there are some bare contacts that are still live.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

One of my neighbors told me that all I have to do is turn off the main breaker.

He would be wrong. All shutting off the main breaker does is shut all power to the breakers in the panel. Power is still going to the box. The service wires from the street going into the box are still hot.

You could pop the meter, if you know how, and check with a volt meter. That would cut power to the panel, power coming from the street is still there. In most areas that would be illegal and can only be done by a licensed electrician. In fact changing a box or upgrading the service has to be done by a licensed electrician around here.

I'd call an electrician.

Listening to your neighbor can be hazardous to your health.

I'm all about DIY.

This is something I would not do - and even if one wanted to, they can't.

Around here, that's the job of the electric company. Tampering with it may even be disallowed by local bylaws.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Call an electrician if you are this unsure of what you are doing.

^^^^ THIS.

Based on the question you are asking, I can tell you should not be doing the job. Get an electrician. Seeking advice in a forum on something that can kill or burn you is the reason I will not answer. Giving you an answer would be irresponsible for anyone to do.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Those look like zinsco breakers.

That's it! Zinsco! I knew I'd remember as soon as somebody said the name!
smile.gif

That box looks like the whole thing needs replacing. Should not be that hard a job for an electrician, Why spend any money having ancient breakers rebuilt, when you can have an nice safe box.

Last edited:
Looks like you got your money out of that breaker box. Call some electricians and get some quotes on replacing the setup.

Breakers are sized to protect the wiring. They can have magnetic and thermal trips. The magnetic trip activates with a sudden rush of current. The thermal trip is there to sense a slight overload that is not sufficient cause a magnetic trip. The slight overloads are the most dangerous. The downstream wiring may be getting hotter as well. Another possibility to consider is that there is just a loose screw terminal on the breaker. A loose connection will generate heat which is transferred into the breaker causing a thermal trip where there is not an actual overload. As mentioned several times above, the prudent repair is to update the entire panel.

If you have to ask you should leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.

And I agree with the others who have told you that the panel has outlived its useful service life. If the rest of the wiring in the house is as old and poorly done as that breaker box, then it's time to do some serious inspection and repair.

Those look like zinsco breakers.

That's it! Zinsco! I knew I'd remember as soon as somebody said the name!
smile.gif

I forgot the brand name of the breakers, but they are very old and have a well known name.

Oh yeah, Zinsco is a "well known name," all right. Well known for not tripping when they should and starting fires.

The breakers on my box are no longer available brand new.

There's a reason why they're no longer available brand new. Take the hint and don't try to get a replacement. Upgrade to a new panel that's not obsolete and actually has new breakers available for it, preferably ones without a reputation for burning houses down.

Right- good way to get fried!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm all about DIY.

This is something I would not do - and even if one wanted to, they can't.

Around here, that's the job of the electric company. Tampering with it may even be disallowed by local bylaws.

Well killing the main breaker will kill the power to the individual breakers which can then be removed safely.

But that panel has to go.

Is your AC overcharged? I would not think the sun shining on the box has Anything to do with it tripping. That box is just for HVAC correct?
If yo are JUST replacing circuit breakers open the main panel breaker. I ALWAYS double check with meter in box and verify remote lights or circuit isn't powered.

BTW Where is the weather cover for the box?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Call an electrician if you are this unsure of what you are doing.

Those look like zinsco breakers. They're well known for starting fires. I'd consider an all new box, for which you'll need an electrician and cooperation from the power company. (They remove their meter which has a wire seal proving you didn't let yourself in.)

You can turn off the main breaker to repair sub-breakers, but beware once the cover comes off there are some bare contacts that are still live.

Both of these.

However to answer your original question, the power company is required to turn off power TO the box. When you hit the main breaker, you are turning off power PAST the box but as eljefino said, parts are still live inside.

The top lugs would be live. The main breaker will kill the individual buses that the breakers get the power from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back