Carpet cleaning methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to deep clean car carpets. A 12 oz coffee went flying and got on the carpet. How can I get rid of the coffee smell? Its not too strong but just a nuisance.

I periodically wash mine in the clothes washer on gentle. They're not too big to fit all 4 in at once. Gets them really, really clean.

If yours are too big, mix up laundry detergent with hot water, apply it generously and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse & repeat if necessary.

OP likes to clean his carpet, not floor mats.

Baking soda on top of coffee area overnight, scrub hard the next day then use wet/dry vac to vacuum it. Repeat 2-3 times.

If that sweet coffee odor is what bothers you, then you may have to pull the carpet and the pad.

It's funny how I can drink a pot of coffee each morning but the second a drop of it dries on my shirt, it's literally all I can smell the rest of the day.

I would advise against using different soaps to try and clean it out. It's tough to get a thorough rinse and you end up with a goofy sticky mess that isn't any better than the original problem.

Maybe see if a detailer in your area has a commercial duty hot water extractor. Those can do probably the best job short of pulling everything out.

Baking soda works well. I wrap a microfiber around the head of my DA and use that to agitate the carpets, and then use a strong shop vac to pull the moisture and stain out.

Do not use too much cleaner or water, or a different smell will replace the coffee.

I have actually have removed the carpet from the car and used soap and the garden hose to clean the carpet... I spilt gear oil once, I hit it with brake cleaner and diswahing detergent, hose it all out and let it dry in the sun and reinstall.

I've found Meg's APC works very well on coffee. If its still wet soak up as much as you can with towels! If its saturated the carpet and then dried...and you really want to cleaned... time to remove. But you could aways try the APC with a carpet extractor or something.

I've used my rigid wet/dry shop vac, and a squeeze pistol type nozzle on a garden hose. With the car facing downhill i spray water and vacuum at the same time, You can soak spills first with simple green or some other cleaner.
For the rear, i have the car face up hill and do the same, keeps the water from running under the front seats where i can't vacuum it as easily

I've had great results using the "foam method". Soap/detergent/carpet cleaner in jar, shake it up 'til it foams, apply foam liberally to stain, rub with brush if necessary, dry with microfiber towel pressure. Repeat as necessary.

Spray with water first to facilitate the soap's action. The product "Tuff-Stuff" is frikkin' magic. It COMPLETELY removed a 7 year old oily food stain (badly loaded take-out food) from my sister's cloth seats. The stuff works great on rugs too. Other soaps work too.

A small vacuum repair shop had a teeny Meile hot water extractor set up for sale which I didn't buy. DARN IT TO HECK!

Call a pro with a self contained high temperature truck mounted Machine, they suck out the soil out of the carpet like no other machines I have ever seen.

I have a hoover stand up carpet shampoo cleaner that also has a hose connection for smaller spots. When I do the carpets in my house I use the carpet shampoo (Resolve I think) and it works good. So I tried it on the auto carpet and it works just as good. I found that the carpet in vehicles are 1000 times dirtier than the home carpet. Any good all purpose cleaner should do fine as well.

I hope there was no milk in the coffee - otherwise you'll need to deep clean as soon as possible.

Personally, I bought a Kärcher extractor carpet cleaner, shoots cleaning fluid and vacuums it back out. Easiest cleaning solution for carpets - for me at least. Price is somwhere around 150-200$ for the home entry level model.

Last edited:
Purchased Hoover Clean Plus for use with my new Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150. This was my first time using a carpet cleaner and I was not sure what to expect. I can't believe how well this solution worked with my carpet washer! It did a great job on high-traffic areas, removed a small stain of Methylene Blue (aquarium medication); and left a pleasant scent in the room. I pre-treated tougher areas (including the Methylene Blue) for 5 minutes with Capture Carpet Spot & Stain Remover. I had to wash, rinse, pre-treat and clean the Methylene Blue stain a second time but I think it's a miracle it came out. I was even able to clean my couch with it because of the pleasant scent. It's crazy to watch the tank fill up with dirty water from a couch that appeared clean. Next to be cleaned will be my outdoor cushions! So I think coffee stains from carpet will help by using this.

I have a bissell spot clean pro and it works great. I use the carpet extractor liquid from smart and final. Much cheaper than the bissell brand stuff. Bring your floor mats to the laundromat and put them in the biggest machine you can find. Then let them air dry. Or pressure washer and degreaser, but the laundromat is great. Gets them very clean.

Ozonator or like was mentioned above a professional steam cleaner that comes to you with their truck powered cleaner. I had a can of fix a flat get punctured in a extra cab ford ranger......the smell was horrible and the only thing that got the smell out was a professional cleaning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back