Outboard oil vs twostroke oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the differences between outboard two stroke oil and ordinary two stroke oil?
- The only thing i know is that landbased/ aircooled engines doesent like outboard oil.
They sieze in the bearings with oil that looks like its burnt to asphalt.
So why use outboard oil??

Outboard oils tend to be more biodegradable and earth friendly since they end up in the water. Outboards run cooler than air cooled stuff, so they are formulated differently.

Nice article, but a bunch of mistakes (its JASO, not JASCO...). And some real dubious generalizations like synthetic (whatever that is...) has better heat transfer than Grp III ... And then goes on to explain why Castor Oil is better... There may not be a whole lot of difference in the base oils in modern 2-stroke lubes. The add-paks are the biggest difference. These oils are generally classified as 2-T lubricants, instead of TWC3.

Since I'm involved with a forestry group that likes their Hot Saws (similar to race saws), we regularly run small air cooled 2-strokes at 12~14,000 RPM under full load. That is a great test for oils. Saw motors die quick if not lubed well.

You can PM me with a real outside e-mail address and I can send what I have on 2-stroke oils and their certifications. Both the Europeans and the Japanese have very high standards for air-cooled 2-stroke oils since they have fleets of 2-stroke scooters, motorcycles, and even some cars running on this stuff.

Bottom line API-TC and JASO FC or FD rated oils are what you want for modern 2-stroke air cooled motors. Anything less is a ticking time bomb. JASO FD rated oils tend to be pricey. But the lube very well.

For run of the mill air-cooled stroke motors, Motul 710 is a very good oil. For race motors, Motul 800 is very good.

Valvoline used to make very good 2-T oils. But I have not seen them around in a while ...

And the real bottom line - no motor ever died from too much oil. Too lean - sure, a million of them.

I run my stuff between 32:1 and 40:1 depending on age of equipment. I get years of service w/o a piston ring sticking. Good oil and plenty of it will always get you through
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Outboards are water cooled, except for the old Seagulls, and run cooler.
As well as operate at lower RPMs in general. Simply the oils are optimized for the operating parameters of the engines. To clog up the pipes [2stroke!] they are some universal 2 stroke oils that do a good job in both air and water cooled engines. I use a universal oil in my ope engines cause it is $15.00 per gallon in bulk at the local oil jobber and in the 15 years of using it I am happy with its performance. I would go with a specific oil for a 2 stroke M/C ,Cart,aircraft or an outboard because they are so expensive and higher loaded.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Outboards are water cooled, except for the old Seagulls, and run cooler.

Seagulls! Love 'em. Had one on a 16' Siren that my father had. That was a great old engine. I loved it. Learned a lot from it. That thing could take a beating & carry right on ticking...

John.

Well this didnt make me any smarter..
- i would like to switch outboard oil to regular " high performance " two stroke oil since i have a number of landbased 2t Engines also.

I run 2% in Everything 2t and have done so for years, never had a seizure. The oil i use is a biodegreable syn oil intended for highperf Engines like chainsaws and snowmobiles and i would find it convinient if my outboard ( 70 hp evinrude from 77 )could run on this also.

It'll be fine. Actually TCW-3 is less quality than most high perf 2-sstroke oils since it does not have to deal with the same piston crown heat loads. Any good JASO FD or later and API TC or later oil will work fine a pre-mix outboard.

The new direct injection ultra clean 2-stroke outboards won't get by on that. For them, you almost have to run MFG oil to make sure the system does not react (pumps, seal, hoses, etc.). Hate to loose an injector hose in the bowels of a big motor cause it hardened from oil additives ... It's not a bearing or ring issue for these, it's add-pak and the plastics used everywhere - compatibility ...

Bombardier now owns Evinrude/Jonhson and they already owned Sea-Doo and ROTAX and a lot of other component systems. They have their own oil requirements. You will get maximum life from an Evirude running on their pricey oil...

BUT, yours is a 1977 and that is back when it was OMC and the oils were a lot less capable than they are today. Any of today's 2-T oils, JASO FC or better, API-TC or TC-W3 syn-blend oils that will mix well in your local gas (ethanol percentage ?), will serve that old 'Rude fine.

I just picked up a 1984 70HP 3-cylinder 'Rude today, and I'll run a premium TC-W3 syn-blend in it initially blended with my JASO FD oil from my chain saw stash - prolly 50/50 home brew at about 40:1 while I'm sorting out the motor. If it all sorts out well, it'll get a straight diet of TC-W3 at 40:1 w/o the high priced air-cooled oils added.

But it will not be SuperTech TC-W3, as that has been failing around here lately. Mechanic reported three motors failed in the last month, all running SuperTech TC-W3... I'm sure it's fine for some applications, but not high HP outboards (running 1HP per Cu In, or higher). For them, it's Quicksilver oil or equal ...

As long as the cooling system is 100% on your motor, the power-head will not get hot enough to need better oil. If you operate in mud or sand and might loose a water pump, so you are coming home under partial over-heat, move up to API-TC for safety
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just ordered some Motul 710 as I realized I was out
frown.gif
That's my number one synthetic base for all home brew 2-stroke mixes. Lucas synthetic 2T is an alternative, but Morul is far better in my experience
smile.gif

For the new/used 'Rude, it'll be Motul 710/Quicksilver TC-W3 half and half. I'll try a test sample in some E-15 gas and see what it looks like in a glass jar... I've never had an issue with Motul separating from ethanol blended gasoline before, but you never know...

I have not used Quicksilver oil in 40 years and I know the formula has changed many times in between ...But it generally gets great reviews and comment on other boards and forums
smile.gif

The Quicksilver Premium Plus ? I used several Quicksilver oils in the last few years - your blend should be awesome ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back