Which M1 oils are true synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Popsy
But isn't it motorcycle oil?

I'm not sure we have M1 15W50 in Europe (too bad), only 5W50 ?

(I may be wrong)

Can you get Yacco Galaxie 15W50?
Or Motul 300V 15W50?

yeah it is a motorcycle oil and it is the only version of M1 15w50 we get in Europe, it would seem a very good choice for my car... i dont think i can get Yacco and yes i can get Motul 300v but it is extremely expensive, for now i will use Vr1 and see from there what i do

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver

If only it wasn't so darn expensive! the 0w40 costs about 50 Euro in the 5L jug at a auto parts store near me, and the 15w50 Racing 4T oil which i want to try is between 50 and 75 Euro online as i can't get it locally

Is this for your Capri ?

Weeell i've already decided to use VR1 for the next change and i miiight use it in the future just to try it out, but i was asking this primarily because of the debate over M1 being a "true synthetic"

So this is a troll thread.
Trolling.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Weeell i've already decided to use VR1 for the next change and i miiight use it in the future just to try it out, but i was asking this primarily because of the debate over M1 being a "true synthetic"

Trolling.gif

As per usual.

Garak,

Originally Posted By: Garak
No one else ever screwed up except Mobil, of course. By the way, why isn't Ashland still using that bit of eight year old information in their current advertising?
whistle.gif

Actually, I would love to hear about other's oil manufacturers screw ups. Please share if you have some links or documented info on this.

The board fills them. How about the very original GC, which didn't work out as planned? How about Quaker State's massive failure a bunch of years ago with meeting claimed cold cranking abilities? Those are two that were confirmed under testing that I can think of off the top of my head, not counting any of the more anecdotal ones, of course.

I honestly doubt any synthetic oil is a "true" synthetic anymore. It's been proven time and again that oils that are 100% PAO or ester based fall short of the modern blends available in different stocks and additives. People put way too much thought into this, it doesn't matter at all. Oils today are so good compared to what they were 20 years ago, just pick your favorite colored bottle and go with it. Your engine won't know the difference.

Trolling.gif

It's not a troll thread until I get here! Now it's a troll thread.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Garak,

No one else ever screwed up except Mobil, of course. By the way, why isn't Ashland still using that bit of eight year old information in their current advertising?
whistle.gif

Actually, I would love to hear about other's oil manufacturers screw ups. Please share if you have some links or documented info on this.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=708004

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Hi,
I was a user of the original German Castrol SLX 0w-30 when it was first sold here in 1996. It was then SH/CF and A3-96/B3-96 quality rated with various Approvals including Porsche, BMW, Rover and VW500, VW505

It was totally recalled and withdrawn from the OZ market during 2001

Firstly it then became;
Castrol Softec TXT 5w-30 (some believe this was the withdrawn SLX re-formulated and re-named)

SLX is now sold officially as;
Castrol "R" 5w-40

Castrol Softec TXT 5w-30 is now sold as;
Castrol "R" 5w-30

Marketing and marketing.......!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Yes, they obviously had a technical problem initially for the recall to have occurred and then they obviously decided to forget SLX ever existed here! I am aware of the range of the problem from a personal viewpoint and one could say it was a good product that was wrongly applied and marketed. Engine failures did occur

One example.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Trolling.gif

It's not a troll thread until I get here! Now it's a troll thread.
grin2.gif

lol.gif

But isn't it motorcycle oil?

I'm not sure we have M1 15W50 in Europe (too bad), only 5W50 ?

(I may be wrong)

Can you get Yacco Galaxie 15W50?
Or Motul 300V 15W50?

yeah it is a motorcycle oil and it is the only version of M1 15w50 we get in Europe, it would seem a very good choice for my car... i dont think i can get Yacco and yes i can get Motul 300v but it is extremely expensive, for now i will use Vr1 and see from there what i do

Sounds fair enough.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I honestly doubt any synthetic oil is a "true" synthetic anymore. It's been proven time and again that oils that are 100% PAO or ester based fall short of the modern blends available in different stocks and additives. People put way too much thought into this, it doesn't matter at all. Oils today are so good compared to what they were 20 years ago, just pick your favorite colored bottle and go with it. Your engine won't know the difference.

Don't you mean a "true full synthetic"?
Regardless, I totally agree with this statement.

Just find something that's fit for purpose and run with it if it's the right price and wear the consequences regardless.
Assuming the assembly is mechanically sound, outside of excessive noise and cold cranking issues it probably doesn't matter a hill of beans.

no no no this is not a troll thread i'm not an expert on base stocks and all i've heard is that Mobil 1 has switched to a highly refined Grp III mineral base stocks to combat the costs of Group IV PAO base stocks, i don't know if this is true i just wanted to know.

The real issue is that the answer is never that easy. Mobil 1 isn't just one viscosity and one performance level. Different viscosities and approvals are better served by different base stock blends, just like they are with different additive packages. To meet A1/B1 (or A5/B5) and dexos1 and SN/GF-5 in 5w-30 certainly does not require a primarily PAO base. And, if XOM (and others) can accomplish their specification goals and oil change interval targets with a cheaper base stock, of course they're going to do so, and blend according to need and specification.

If every basic ILSAC 5w-30 synthetic in North America were primarily PAO, I'd hate to see what the price of oil would be like right now. I wish oil companies were more rigorous with their labeling, but we have the situation we have.

The real issue is that the answer is never that easy. Mobil 1 isn't just one viscosity and one performance level. Different viscosities and approvals are better served by different base stock blends, just like they are with different additive packages. To meet A1/B1 (or A5/B5) and dexos1 and SN/GF-5 in 5w-30 certainly does not require a primarily PAO base. And, if XOM (and others) can accomplish their specification goals and oil change interval targets with a cheaper base stock, of course they're going to do so, and blend according to need and specification.

If every basic ILSAC 5w-30 synthetic in North America were primarily PAO, I'd hate to see what the price of oil would be like right now. I wish oil companies were more rigorous with their labeling, but we have the situation we have.

Yeah that is true there should me more strict standards for labelling like in Germany

You could, but then oil companies would just invent new words. Or, if every basic 5w-30 synthetic on shelf were PAO or ester or something similar to fulfill labeling requirements, we'd be paying a lot more for oil than we do now. There is only so much PAO to go around.

Alternatively, if you took the word "synthetic" off of Mobil 1, would it matter much? Pricing would be the same, I bet.

no no no this is not a troll thread i'm not an expert on base stocks and all i've heard is that Mobil 1 has switched to a highly refined Grp III mineral base stocks to combat the costs of Group IV PAO base stocks, i don't know if this is true i just wanted to know.

This has been answered already. Why do you keep asking the same question?

Originally Posted By: jongies3

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back