What if Walmart discontinued all 10W-30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Would you switch to 5W-30 or would buy 10W-30 at the auto parts store for double the price ?

I would use 5w30

If WM was discontinuing and I needed it, I'd stock up on 5 years worth of oil today. With the PP 2016 rebates I can get 4 years worth on one car. Fwiw, the Auto Zone 2015 clearance was getting rid of a lot of lesser used oil grades...like the 10w-30. Other retailers have followed along. It might continue.

Even if discontinued you could mix your way to a nearly 10w-30 with any number of choices.

No harm, no foul to me.
wink.gif

I would go to the Home Depot, and buy the Formula Shell 10W-30 for $9.88 per five quart jug when it's on sale. Just put some of that juice in my Volvo today.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I buy all my oil on clearance when O'Reillys or AutoZone has sales. Like 31 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra for $1 per quart (5w30 & 10w30), 80-90 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife 10w40 for $0.33 per quart, Valvoline NextGen 5w30 & 10w30 5 quart jugs for $5 (I bought 60 quarts), 30 quarts of Castrol SynBlend 5w30 for $1 per quart, 5 quarts of Mag1 5w30 for $1 per quart, and various oils such as Valvoline SynPower, Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, Valvoline Durablend, Mobil 1 0w30, and Mobil 1 EP 10w30 for $3 per quart, I bought a total of around 40 quarts of those various oils.

Just gotta watch the sales and stock up. I hardly ever buy oil at Walmart, much cheaper on clearance at the other stores.

Wow! You must really like motor oil. That's a lotta oil!

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Would you switch to 5W-30 or would buy 10W-30 at the auto parts store for double the price ?

I would continue to get my oil from where I get it.

Which isn't Wallyworld.

x2

I could care less whats on Walmarts shelf!

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dgunay
Mix some 15w40 and 5w20 and you are good to go! Here is the new "Merkava blend".

No way Merk would EVER put that 5w20 in his car, he'd like his car to last a while!

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would use 5w30

So far this is the only correct answer out of the whole thread.
grin2.gif

Lately, I have been getting my oil at Meijer so no WM is okay.
smile.gif

They occasionally have a buy a jug of oil, get the filter half off.

Or just last week, they had PHM and a TG for $20.

My "local" store finally carries M1 0w40 too.

According to the sticker on the 5.8L Windsor motor in my 1993 E350 I should use 10W-30. Mobil's oil selector on their website says I can use 5W-30.

According to the filler cap on my 2002 E150 with a 4.2L I should use 5W-20. Mobil's oil selector on their website says I can use 5W-30.

I would switch to 5W-30. And I will do that anyway as it will simplify my life. One oil for all vehicles.

Last edited:
I still like the 10w30 grade, despite being obsolete to many. Lower NOACK and VII's.

Eh, I mean 5w30 never hurt anything. However, if they stopped carrying any xw40 then I would have to resort to buying from Auto parts stores.

Originally Posted By: buster
I still like the 10w30 grade, despite being obsolete to many. Lower NOACK and VII's.

Same here.

Just bought a jug of Maxlife and Chevron in 10w30 last weekend, as that's all they had in stock. $10 and $5 rebates on them, too.
smile.gif

It'll go in the 2000 Civic or blend with a Xw20 and in the wife's 2012 Mazda2.

Amsoil OE is $4.70 Qt (PC) so thats were I would buy 10W30.

If I had to buy another oil at Walmart for the Mustang it would be M1 0W40.

If I was forced to buy a Walmart 5W30 it would be Mobil 1 EP 5W30.

Never give up on the 10w-30 is best.

Walmart? Who buys their 10W-30 at Walmart?
I buy Trop-Artic oil on sale at Orschelns for less than what Wal-Mart sells it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back