OK, before I lube it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy it
smile.gif
I have a 17ft Glasspar that I'm resto-modding. It has a 50 Honda on it now (3 cyl) and I'm not happy with the noise/vibration on this engine. It's not bad, it just irritates me. And it's not enough power (
laugh.gif
), so I want to move up to 80+.

So I need to know which modern 4-stroke 80 is the quietest and least stressed motor? They'll all be 4 cylinders, but which is quieter? I don't have any brand loyalty, but Merc might be easier to get serviced in my area ...

Originally Posted By: hpb
No idea, but the title drew me in
smile.gif

Yea me too. No experience with 4 stroke outboards, but from an aesthetic standpoint I would would personally stick with a motor from the same period as the boat. What model year is it? Pics?

The boat is a 1962 and the motor that was originally on it was frozen up. Have not finalized the deck/top-side paint scheme. Will be something that compliments the motor ...

No chance of period correct as it won't be usable on Tahoe or many inland lakes with 2-stroke power due to pollution limits.

Have owned or ridden three cylinder bikes bikes and most were as smooth as glass. Not so with this Honda outboard... It's like the little growler in the Geo Metro.

It runs, but it's not the electric smooth that say the BMW K75 was. They have to use an intermediate gear case to reverse the rotation to get it to turn std props. It all adds to the noise factor...

Yeah, thinking about a Merc ...

Nearest Yamaha dealer is down in Oakland, too far convenient access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back