PUSH button start long term reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh* I remember my parents 1987 Chevy Astrovan. It would only start in P or N, no issue with that. But I didn't have to step on the brake to crank, and once started, I could drop into drive without having to step on the brake either. Just drop right down. None of this fancy "brake to shift". Also, once started, you could pull the keys out of the ignition (for no good reason other than because I could).

First couple of vehicles I owned were late 80's vintage and I would disable the clutch interlock switch. On those I would shift to neutral and start, no foot on brake or clutch required.

Today I've thought of disabling those switches/interlocks, but I'm sure the first time I loaned out the vehicle I'd regret it. I still don't like 'em. Necessary nuisance.

Have to admit, I've grown fond of the starter in my truck--I can reach in with the key, give a quick flip, and walk away--it'll finish cranking on its own. I kinda like that feature, as I can do that in cold weather and go about cleaning off the truck. Just reach in and start. What a concept.

The "key" in my Grand Caravan already works like a push button. It's just a slot to insert the key fob into and then all you have to do it turn it to crank for a split second and the PCM will take care of the rest. Fortunately I do not have to press the brake pedal to start.

This gets annoying a bit as our Mazda 3 has a traditional key that has to be held in crank until the engine fires up. I give it a quick flick many times forgetting that it will not start.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

I own a 2015 Civic EX with just 10,200 miles. Obviously, the PUSH button start works perfectly. But I was wondering if this will last the life of the car? Let's say a 10-12 year period? Will it prove to be just as reliable as a traditional key? Or will it eventually just break and need an EXPENSIVE replacement??

I have been wondering if some of this technology is REALLY that necessary? Now its actually considered "old fashion" to buy a car with a traditional key start ignition! Now its actually considered too much effort to get in a car, put the key in the ignition and turn it to start!

With how easy those are to steal, you might not need to worry about the button longevity....

How are they easy to steal?

One perp follows you as you exit your car, and has a transmitter which sends the key signal to another perp who stays close to your car. he can open and start the car like he has the key with him...

They can also do it if you're at home, if the key signal reaches outside.

It's a huge deal in Europe, can't believe it's not an issue in the US.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...nic-device.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This gets annoying a bit as our Mazda 3 has a traditional key that has to be held in crank until the engine fires up. I give it a quick flick many times forgetting that it will not start.

I do the same thing in my Camry--it has to be held until it fires. Small nuisance, I know.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I do the same thing in my Camry--it has to be held until it fires. Small nuisance, I know.

It's funny though how quickly we adopt to the new and improved features. I've had the MZ3 for over 10 years now and the Grand Caravan for only 6 months, but it only took me few weeks to get used to the way Chrysler implemented the starting procedure and making it the primary mode of operation in my head.

I love my push button start. I'll never get buy another new car that doesn't have it.

This is why no one can turn off the key with unintended acceleration, the computer runs pretty much everything on the car.

Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
This is why no one can turn off the key with unintended acceleration, the computer runs pretty much everything on the car.

Most have a way to turn it off, still. The ignitions usually can be turned off by holding the button (just like turning off a fussy computer). Of course, people with unintended acceleration tend not to know their foot is on the gas or how to get out of gear, much less deal with a key or a hard power off sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back