Is this true? More Freq. oil chg = more wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectly happy with my oil after 75k km's (47k miles) since my last oil change. Will probably run to double that. Nothing special. No special filters. In some vehicles, 3k is not only a giant scam, its almost criminal. I won't generalize, as that's not proper, but manual recommendations tend to be extremely conservative, IMHO.

Only "criminal" if I am paying for someone else's oil change. Kinda hard to justify that assertion when folks will easily blow more going out to eat one time than it costs for a complete oil change. I don't do the 3K thing, but I really don't care if anyone else does.

I just don't understand how an oil can go that long without corrosive damage. The TBN would be depleted long before the oil change, and you would be running acid oil.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
I just don't understand how an oil can go that long without corrosive damage. The TBN would be depleted long before the oil change, and you would be running acid oil.

Low-sulfur fuel, like we will have in the US come 2017, minimizes acids formed during combustion. Long changes have been the standard for some time in Europe.

A good, physical example of this is the BMW N63 engines. In Germany, a variable Service Interval Minder based on fuel consumption and other parameters would allow for an OCI of up to 2 years or 30,000kms on LL04 low-SAPS oil. The same interval in the US resulted in many grenaded turbos, slack noisy timing chains with broken guides, and clogged/damaged VANOS units, prompting full rebuilds under the Customer Care Package and a shortening of all BMWUSA OCIs to 1yr/12k miles with LL01 full-SAPS oil.

Moving towards low-sulfur fuel and low-SAPS oil in the Unites States will enable greatly extended OCIs, as well as help minimize some of the more common problems with Direct Injection: carbon buildup in intake tracks and on the back of valves.

Low sulfur fuel coming in 2017? It has been here for several years already! Like since 2006. 15 ppm ULSD and with many outlets having biodiesel blends, even less ppm of sulfur than the 15 ppm max now.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Low sulfur fuel coming in 2017? It has been here for several years already! Like since 2006. 15 ppm ULSD and with many outlets having biodiesel blends, even less ppm of sulfur than the 15 ppm max now.

Gasoline
Gasoline
Gasoline

Originally Posted By: AudiTDI
I did not write this. I found it on another forum related to TDI's. I was simply asking for some expert advice on whether this has any merit. I change my oil every 5k miles and am wondering if I am doing more harm than if I changed it every 10k miles. BTW, I have had a MANN oil filter collapse and come apart sometime before a 5k mile change, so even if I could go with 10k oil changes, I think I will stay with 5k filter changes.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Some people are Nuts here they go off the deep end for little reason, just ignore the crazies.
Stick around.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Gasoline
Gasoline
Gasoline

Oh, my mistake. Thought this was a diesel vehicle section. Wait... it is!

There are technical papers referring to the fact that oil builds anti-wear compounds as it is used and exposed to heat and pressure. Compounds that are somewhat unique to that engine. fresh oil has none of these. So there is engineering evidence that suggests keeping 10% old oil to mix with the new until it has a chance to start making replacement compounds...

Some of us are now changing oil when due, but leaving the filter in place as used oil reservoir for an extra week or two and then changing it separately. Changing filters every other time has been common practice for fleet operators for a long time. That will get you some used oil 50% of the time.

This all fly's in the face if the OCD folks who want all new clean stuff each time. But I must say, I have had more than one occasion to run oil for years w/o blowing up anything, and that was in cars I was seriously beating on...

I think oil is more durable that we generally give credit for ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
There are technical papers referring to the fact that oil builds anti-wear compounds as it is used and exposed to heat and pressure. Compounds that are somewhat unique to that engine. fresh oil has none of these. So there is engineering evidence that suggests keeping 10% old oil to mix with the new until it has a chance to start making replacement compounds...

Some of us are now changing oil when due, but leaving the filter in place as used oil reservoir for an extra week or two and then changing it separately.

My Honda's rebuild oil capacity is 5.7qts but the oil change amount is 4.4 qts with filter change. So about 25% is old. Even those who want fresh oil are still having a large amount of old.

Wherever the OP found that post doesn't matter all that much. It points to how some of us are so extreme its almost laughable.

So what is the answer to the OP post? Easy, follow the maintenance recommended by the manufacturer of the product. But no, on BITOG we take what another manufacturer says and then start to apply it to other makes.
Its real simple, follow the owners manual and don't think so much that you think you know better.

BTW, changing sooner rather then later is still to this day mentioned in many owners manuals. "severe use" - stop and go traffic, extreme cold/heat, short trip driving etc, etc.

You will never see a owners manual saying to delay oil changes. *L*

It varies by owner situation, but every vehicle I own, the day they come home for the first time, they automatically fall into the severe service category before I even get to the driveway. Not because I choose it on a whim. I follow the conditions for severe service as described in the owners manual. Doesn't matter the brand or vehicle. So the "normal" recommendations go out the door on all maintenance and the OLM means absolutely nothing.

It varies by owner situation, but every vehicle I own, the day they come home for the first time, they automatically fall into the severe service category before I even get to the driveway. Not because I choose it on a whim. I follow the conditions for severe service as described in the owners manual. Doesn't matter the brand or vehicle. So the "normal" recommendations go out the door on all maintenance and the OLM means absolutely nothing.

Same here, almost word for word.

Since we only use GM in our fleet I cannot comment on other makes. But the GM OLM actually allows for severe service and remains a very accurate way of changing oil correctly for great engine life.

Our fleet Silverados can easily exceed 10000 miles per the OLM if driven on the open road. Our 3500 vans used as stationary power plants can only go 4000 or so. Since the OLM is calibrated for dino oils we simply choose a synthetic on sale (generally M1) and follow the OLM. We get ridiculously long engine life and minimize waste as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back