Feather Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Been using them for a while. I really only get 2 shaves per blade. I have a long handel Merkur. I am going to classic Gillette clone Shaver and see if they last better.

When they are gone..I seem to recall good reviews for LADAS, Rapira. How about Polsilver or Sharks?

I have used Dorco, Astra, Merkur

Last edited:
Yeah some.blades don't last very long at all. Awhile back I brought two different brands and one lasted a couple of shaves, the other around 10-12...one was Wilkinson, forget the other and unfortunately they are in identical unmarked containers....but still better and overall less expensive than disposables or the "12 blade high efficiency fancy commercial" types in the long run.

Originally had Merkur blades that came with the razor, but.they were pricey and not as good for.me as others. But there are several types of Merkurs so I may try another one.

Last edited:
Are you rinsing your current blades and blot drying them with a towel? That should make them last a bit longer. Maybe a full week.

Satinsilver is right on about this. I've had Gillette Mach 3 blades almost 2 months each by drying them blade out after each use. This practice greatly improves blade longevity.

Love the Feather blades! Nothing else comes close- all others feel like I'm shaving with a broken bottle. A good rinse when I'm done and they'll last 4-5 shaves.

Any blade I have tried lasts at max 5 shaves. The 6th it pulls to much. I do have very fast growing coarse hair so that might be a contributing factor. But every guy is different obviously.

The cleaning and drying the blade is a great recommendation. I take it one step further and as well soak the razor and parts in isopropyl alcohol while I clean up.
buying a different razor to change how long a blade lasts won't work. It will still cut the same amount of hair. But the feathers are a very sharp and very thin blade. nobody gets many shaves out of them. I like merkur and wilkinson blades and use them 3 times. The merkurs are less forgiving but the wilkinson ones do take a few blades to get a great shave. Every blade is different from each other and every razor is different.

I have also learned to use at least 10 blades before I decide to purchase again. Also if you aren't liking a blade try a cream instead of a soap. or maybe shave after or before a shower. just my thoughts
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Love the Feather blades! Nothing else comes close- all others feel like I'm shaving with a broken bottle. A good rinse when I'm done and they'll last 4-5 shaves.

have you tried merkurs? They are more forgiving but still like shaving with a laser. last a bit longer I find to.

I had the same experience with Feather blades. A Personna Blue blade lasts longer, but does feel pretty rough for the last few shaves.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
A feather blade lasts me 3 weeks.

Same here. Nothing shaves closer.

On the positive side Feathers are extremely sharp, on the negative side, they're too sharp. They're so sharp they won't hold an edge for very long. My beard absolutely destroys them. I can't even get one full shave from them before I have to change blades. I prefer slightly less sharp blades such as Astra Platinums and Personna Reds.

I highly recommend these for a good combination of sharpness and edge retention. I've been using them exclusively for three years after trying a number of other brands from around the world. Some of you might also like the fact that these are made in the USA.

Med Prep Blades

Last edited:
If using double bladed razors, before putting away use a dust buster which is an aerosol can that blows air and is designed to get dust out of a computer keyboard. It gets rid of any stray whisker hairs and does a top notch cleaning job on the blades

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Are you rinsing your current blades and blot drying them with a towel? That should make them last a bit longer. Maybe a full week.

I rinse but don't dry....Thanks.!

Originally Posted By: grampi
On the positive side Feathers are extremely sharp, on the negative side, they're too sharp. They're so sharp they won't hold an edge for very long. My beard absolutely destroys them. I can't even get one full shave from them before I have to change blades. I prefer slightly less sharp blades such as Astra Platinums and Personna Reds.

Thanks.

Only 2 shaves! Are you sure you got the real Feathers?

I've used Feather blades as well, and they were still fine after a dozen shaves.

I shave almost everyday and a Mach 3 cart lasts almost a month for me.

I don't do anything special and let it air dry.

Actually both blades are so sharp initially that I like the feeling after a couple shaves where they dull a little bit, and are a bit smoother on the skin.

When I tried Feathers, they worked fine, though with the Merkur 23C razor I nicked myself a few times. Then one night I was disposing of the blade, which I'd wrapped in toilet tissue -- but I picked it up by the wrong edge. ZOW! To paraphrase Macbeth, "Who would have thought the guy with the beard had so much blood in him?" Sliced my finger good . . . and that was with a used blade!

Nowadays I use Personna and Gillette Blue blades. Patting the blade dry sounds like a good idea; I'll try it.

I have an old plastic juice bottle that I keep under the sink. It has a slot cut in it. There are fifteen years worth of used DE blades in it and there's enough space left to last for the rest of my natural life. A friend of mine renovated and old townhouse in Brooklyn and found a cache of old blades. Back in the day there used to be a slot cut in a bathroom wall for blade disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back