Recommend me a gasket cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Friday BITOG.

Can anyone recommend me a quality gasket material cleaner? This will be used for an oil pan and it's mating surface on an engine block.

Originally Posted By: Olas
A razor blade on a stick to scrape, and brake cleaner on a rag to wipe it off.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Wire wheel on a bench grinder

This is what I do. Wire wheel is what I use for the stubborn parts that I cant do with the razor blade. Just remember to clean the entire surface with brake cleaner before applying any sort of gasket.

If its an iron block and steel pan have at it with a razor scraper if its aluminum you need to be more careful.
Use CRC gasket remover on both surfaces overnight and scrape it gently so you don't gouge the aluminum.

For aluminum surfaces; take an old piece of copper pipe, smash one end of it flat into the shape of a wood chisel, and sharpen it.

Works great. I learned it from an old Haynes book.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.c...ategory=Sealers
Works amazing.

Is that a surface prep or does it dissolve old gasket material glue, interesting product.

The old version was brush on, the bottle looked just like Gask-a-Cinch. It worked great at getting old gasket material off the intake manifold on my 95 Mustang 5.0L. I would apply it, let it set for a few minutes, and use a plastic scraper or razor blade and it would come off super easy. This is what they want our techs to use as the last thing on an aluminum surface before laying the gasket on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back