windshield polishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone tried this? My windshield had so much grime on it from pollen today I tried cleaning it 3 times with Windex. The wiper marks were still there along with some grimey film. I googled polishing windshields and found several forum posts where people had success using various kinds of polish. I have turtle wax polishing compound on hand and tried it. WOW! I'm shocked. First time in in years I've gotten the wiper streak marks and all the road grime film off. Try it if you can't get your windshield clean with just glass cleaner.

I'm all for having a perfectly clean windshield (inside & out).
I use Windex. No problems with it.
Also clean your Side Windows and Mirrors.
Now I can see everybody.

Then clean Headlights and Tail-Lights.
I use Turtle Wax - Light to Medium Scratch Remover.
Now everyone can see me.

Two days ago, I removed the 'middle' Brake Light and polished it.

Clay bar works to remove any sort of contaminants that have really gotten baked on there. If you want to truly "polish" it, you'll need to use something like cerium oxide.

I remember this topic came up about a month ago and a few people said to use Bon Ami in the red can,

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I remember this topic came up about a month ago and a few people said to use Bon Ami in the red can,

That stuff works AWESOME but I can no longer get it locally.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Warstud

That stuff works AWESOME but I can no longer get it locally.

http://www.bonamiretailers.com/

They made stuff when I was a kid that came in a pink can which also was used to do window stencils around the holidays. Too bad its not around anymore. I have found that any cheap cleaner wax works well but I do not know how it effects the longevity of wiper blades.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here's some tips from this guy who's very meticulous and a professional detailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4WwOrkgXlc

Wow!
Talk about overkill.
lol.gif

Clay bar the windshield when you're clay-barring your paint. When you're done, apply a good wax/sealant to it. The water will slide right off while you're driving, and it will stay cleaner longer.

Originally Posted By: 007
They made stuff when I was a kid that came in a pink can which also was used to do window stencils around the holidays. Too bad its not around anymore. I have found that any cheap cleaner wax works well but I do not know how it effects the longevity of wiper blades.

I think that stuff was called Glass Wax. Stores used to sell it all over the place, but I haven't seen it in probably 8-10 years now.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Clay bar the windshield when you're clay-barring your paint. When you're done, apply a good wax/sealant to it. The water will slide right off while you're driving, and it will stay cleaner longer.

+1 This.

Originally Posted By: azjake
Another product to use is Gel-Gloss Glass Wax Cleaner. I bought some at Ace Hardware.

I found this stuff at Ace and tried it. Hands down the best glass cleaner ever. Better than Bon Ami! It's kind of messy when you polish the wax off, but holy moly - it eats through baked on road grime and water/windshield wiper marks like butter.

Last edited:
Firstly I would not use windex on any automotive glass. It is ammonia based and can cause issues on window tinting. I would use something like sprayaway or invisible glass. Both have been a favorite of mine. Clay bar is great are removing contaminants but I have felt that barkeepers friend or bon ami worked wonders on polishing without much effort and zero damage to the glass or vehicle. I usually will wash the windshield, clay bar, scrub with what I mentioned, rinse the windshield then wash the car to ensure nothing dries on the glass/paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back