How often do you detail and what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: splinter
My recipes and scheduling are quite similar.
I tend to mix and match the various chemicals and techniques with the shifting sands of time.

I'm largely loyal to the Meguiar's lineup as Barry Meguiar is a neighbor.
And they've excellent hands-on detailing workshops at their Irvine HQ.

I've had exactly one black vehicle during ~40 years of ownership experiences.
Yours look excellent, sir!

Thank you! I have always used Turtle wax products for the most part. I can't say that it works any different than the others, it's just what my dad used.

My wife loves black vehicles, this is my first. Hard to keep clean but I love it when it is!

I detail the Accord once a week. This involves a wash with Meguiars Ultimate Wash/Wax then try with a large microfiber towel. It gets a spray wax with Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax every 2nd or 3rd wash. The wheels and tires are always thoroughly cleaned with each wash as well. Inside the car the floor mats get brushed off every week with a vacuum as needed. All interior plastics get a wipe down with 303 every 2 weeks on average, i only use enough 303 to make the detail towel damp enough to pick up dust and other debris. The front leather seats get a wipe down with either 303 or Meguiars Gold Class leather conditioner about every 2 weeks as well. The rears get the same treatment about every month to month and a half. Windows are cleaned as needed as my girlfriend and I are normally the only ones in the car so the windows stay pretty clean. Once every 2 months or so Ill get out a soft brush and gently scrub the leather seats and steering wheel with water and Downy delicates to remove any trace body oils and dirt particles that find there way into the crevices of the seats. The paint will get a coat of Optimum Opti Seal every 2 months or so as well. Once a year it will get clayed/nano-skinned and polished if needed. She is certainly well cared for! But I thoroughly enjoy detailing.

20150918_1322271_zpsak6lwvxn.jpg

20151015_0952421_zpsqam5dljc.jpg

Geez - wish I had the time and energy to do half that!

I'm on the Collinite 845 twice a year, wash as needed and time allows, maybe every 3-10 weeks? With a wax-as-u-dry application. Just ordered some 303 for the dash and some "Gummi Pflege" which is supposed to be the best door seal treatment to condition and quiet them (getting some squeaks now).

This is on my new, 2016 Sportwagen. I'm going more for protection for long-term vs looking good on a weekly basis. Between camping trips and sitting for days when I ride my bike to work, it's too hard to keep it clean daily/weekly.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Wylie, That's a nice looking little pickup! How do you like it so far?

Really like it, but it's not without its problems. Chronic problem with the plastic trim cutting into the side of the bottom seat cushion plagues many owners, myself included. 7 recalls performed and the driver's side taillight fogged up on the inside, so it's seen its share of dealer visits in 12 month's time. But nicely done interior and broad-shouldered looks sucked me in. Thanks for the compliment. She's a keeper.

I will wash the cars every other week with chemical guys wash and gloss and end with a spraywax. Every fall I buff a coat of collinite with my porter cable before the snow. I will buff a coat of Meguiars M26 and shine the tires (Chemical Guys VRP) before a special occasion/when I want to show off how clean the car is haha. I vacuum when the cars are dirty and wipe down the interior with warm water and Meguiars APC.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I detail the Accord once a week. This involves a wash with Meguiars Ultimate Wash/Wax then try with a large microfiber towel. It gets a spray wax with Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax every 2nd or 3rd wash. The wheels and tires are always thoroughly cleaned with each wash as well. Inside the car the floor mats get brushed off every week with a vacuum as needed. All interior plastics get a wipe down with 303 every 2 weeks on average, i only use enough 303 to make the detail towel damp enough to pick up dust and other debris. The front leather seats get a wipe down with either 303 or Meguiars Gold Class leather conditioner about every 2 weeks as well. The rears get the same treatment about every month to month and a half. Windows are cleaned as needed as my girlfriend and I are normally the only ones in the car so the windows stay pretty clean. Once every 2 months or so Ill get out a soft brush and gently scrub the leather seats and steering wheel with water and Downy delicates to remove any trace body oils and dirt particles that find there way into the crevices of the seats. The paint will get a coat of Optimum Opti Seal every 2 months or so as well. Once a year it will get clayed/nano-skinned and polished if needed. She is certainly well cared for! But I thoroughly enjoy detailing.

20150918_1322271_zpsak6lwvxn.jpg

20151015_0952421_zpsqam5dljc.jpg

Nice Accord. I have the save 2012 EXL but with the V6:

^^ Nice job! I detailed my engine bay, and now prior to changing my oil I take my compressor and blow the dust and dirt off of everything instead of letting it build up. So far so good.

For vehicles left outside my final coat was with Meguiars UW paste. It last only about 3 months in the FL sun. Then I found Finish Kare 1000 made by Meguiars brother and it blows the UW away as far as looks and durability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back