What would you do in my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's my situation. I've got a [censored] little Jeep Compass that I bought back in November 2014 because I wanted something relatively fuel efficient that had AWD for winter driving and occasional light offroading. Long story short, the AWD has really only worked for about 3 months since I've owned it, and I've spent over 2000 bucks at 2 different repair shops trying to get it working again with no permanent success.

In addition to the attempted AWD repairs, I've also had to spend about 1000 bucks on various suspension and brake parts just to keep the thing roadworthy. It once again needs some repair to be roadworthy again, and it'll need an oilpan shortly as well. In my mind, it's incredibly disappointing that the one major feature (the AWD) that influenced my purchasing of it has barely worked at all since I've had it. Really the only 2 things on it that work flawlessly are the seat heaters and the optional Boston Acoustics sound system. I'm strongly considering driving the thing to a scrapyard and taking over my brother's 2004 Z71 Tahoe.

My brother bought it back in early 2012 but he got tired of it and bought a zippy little 2009 Cobalt SS turbo a bit later so the Tahoe has been sitting in his yard since then. It gets started and ran once in a while but it's sat in the same spot for quite a while. It's got almost every option that was available on the GMT800's, plus a set of decent BF Goodrich all-terrain TA's. It's got about 145000 miles and runs good but the knock sensors are dead. It needs a bit of brake work, 2 blown lines up front and a rear caliper and a little body work. Unlike my turdtastic Compass, everything on the Tahoe works. A/C is nice and cold, the leather seats are in fairly good shape, the Bose stereo works great (although not as much bass as the Boston Acoustics in the Compass), ABS, 4 wheel drive.

I just don't know what to do. I'm a bit mental (seriously) and I just can't seem to come to a decision to either ditch or fix the Compass. Other than the much lower fuel economy, the Tahoe has everything I originally wanted in a vehicle at the time I bought the Compass. If you were in my situation, what would you do?

I would ditch the Compass for sure. I'd take the Tahoe to a shop and get an estimate for all the work so you know what you're dealing with.

What year Jeep and how many miles? The transmission Jeep for SelecTrac was an excellent transmission and was a true 4WD transmission with a transfer case. I am not sure Jeep makes good AWD drives.

To give some words for the Compass, vehicles do need front end work (tie rods, ball joints, shocks/struts) when the mileage starts getting up there.

Are the shops looking at the AWD good shops (not chain)?

Certainly get an estimate on the Tahoe.

What mileage will the Tahoe get?

Can you do any of the work?

Any brake lines should be replaced with copper-nickel.

The Compass uses a Jatco CVT and an electronically controlled AWD system which is fairly capable..in light situations

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Chose money pit A, or money pit B.

Lol, well at least with money pit B I can go up the road and get most engine and driveline parts if I need them, not so with the Compass.. I had to replace an alternator on it a while ago and had to take a nearly 4 hour round-trip drive to get one. Money pit B also has fully working 4 wheel drive too

Buying any user car is a risk. You could get the tahoe, and it might be great today, but a week from now it goes boom. But imo as said above get a estimate for the tahoe work that you cant diy and go feom there. My jeep is awd and im waiting on the day for it to give out on me.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Chose money pit A, or money pit B.

+1. Get handy and learn to do a lot of stuff yourself and you'll be better off.

If the Tahoe has been well cared for and is in good shape I would go with it for sure. If it has been ratted around and is junked up I would stay with the Jeep. Those Tahoe's / Suburbans / Silverado's etc are pretty stout vehicles. My fathers 2002 Silverado has not had an easy life, but it keeps on ticking with 155K or so and shows no signs of stopping any time soon.

Trade it in for something more reliable with a warranty. A warranty direct from the manufacturer, not an aftermarket one unless it's from CarMax. A certified used car is an option.

Sell the Compass. buy a good sedan with LSD and decent snow tires. And a shovel. If you want MPG, don't get AWD. Maybe keep the Tahoe for snow. I have had a 4wd of one sort or another. 30 yrs. Mostly so I can move around in the back yard without tearing up the sod. Of late, I'm down with staying put and keeping the wood stove going when it snows.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 55Test
....I've got a [censored] little Jeep Compass that I bought back in November 2014...the AWD has really only worked for about 3 months since I've owned it, I've spent over 2000 bucks....I've also had to spend about 1000 bucks on various suspension and brake parts just to keep the thing roadworthy. It once again needs some repair to be roadworthy again, and it'll need an oilpan shortly as well.... If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Here, I condensed your posts and it is easy to see it's time for the Compass to go.

Sell it to Carmax, they will buy anything.

Tahoe sounds ok except for.the high mileage and sensors out....but the price is probably very right.

Last edited:
That is some tough luck. IIRC, you had posted before in regards to your Compass issues. Like said, either A or B is a potential money pit.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Interesting how people think there's a Carmax everywhere.

I see OP is in New Brunswick, which could be in CT or Canada. Most places in the US you are at max a few hours' drive from one...Canada is another story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I would ditch the Compass for sure. I'd take the Tahoe to a shop and get an estimate for all the work so you know what you're dealing with.

+1.

Id not take the compass to scrap, Id just sell it honestly with receipts and let it become someone else's problem (unless theres a lot of rust or some safety issue).

But Id want to know what it would take to get the Tahoe roadworthy first. It too could be a money pit. I assume your brother would let you do an "extended test drive" on it? It has insurance and good registration, right?

Sounds like an earlier Compass (pre 2011), and with all their early issues, sounds like it needs to go. Granted, never understood why it ever needed awd anyways-as a good set of tires are much better anyways.

As for the Tahoe-take it for a good, long drive before you decide. You should know if anything else pops up.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back