Best Crimping Die for SA .223?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I have reloaded for bolt guns for over 25 years, but this year (after building 3 AR-15s) I am starting to reload for semi-auto. Right away, I can see the crimp needs to be tighter than that for the bolt guns. All of the bullets I use have a cannelure and the brass for the AR-15s is **usually** military OFB that I trim to the minimum case length, deburr, etc. I use commercial .223 for the bolt rifles.

My equipment is a Dillon RL550B and I am using Hornady dies. I saw several recommendations for a Lee Factory Crimp Die and I thought I would poll the forum to see what everyone is using. I need to obtain a good crimp such that the bullets do not push back into the case neck when fired from a magazine-I had several do this today.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I volume reload in .223 / 5.56 MM, and have always used the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It's the best for this purpose, because it does not induce any linear stress into the case. Only lateral. It is impossible to collapse a case with it, like can happen with conventional crimping dies. The shell holder actuates it so the case only receives pressure laterally at the crimp point. Another good feature is the crimp does not vary with case length. It will remain consistent regardless if the length of the case varies.

It is very easy to use and adjust, and you can put as much, or as little crimp as you like. The die itself is inexpensive and will last all but a lifetime. I doubt you could find a better tool for the job.

I have many friends who tell me to not buy lee products, and fork out the big bucks for more expensive brands such as RCBS or Dillon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: billt460
I volume reload in .223 / 5.56 MM, and have always used the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It's the best for this purpose, because it does not induce any linear stress into the case. Only lateral. It is impossible to collapse a case with it, like can happen with conventional crimping dies. The shell holder actuates it so the case only receives pressure laterally at the crimp point. Another good feature is the crimp does not vary with case length. It will remain consistent regardless if the length of the case varies.

It is very easy to use and adjust, and you can put as much, or as little crimp as you like. The die itself is inexpensive and will last all but a lifetime. I doubt you could find a better tool for the job.
Many thanks--I will get one headed this way.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I have many friends who tell me to not buy lee products, and fork out the big bucks for more expensive brands such as RCBS or Dillon.
I had a RCBS Rock Chucker for years until I bought my Dillon--a friend in Canada is still using the RC to load "big bore" rifle cases with it. I have some Lee stuff too--through the years I have found there is not "one-stop shop" and each manufacturer has some goodies to offer. I use .17 Remington dies from Lee and their case trimming tools too. I prefer Hornady dies because the expander does not need to be lubed, but Redding Comp Dies are hard to beat for my bolt rifles (except the belted magnums).

That right there is a load of huey. I've had issues with all the companies and not had a lot of issues with Lee....and the only problem with Lee dies is they don't clean them very well at the factory. Learned this the hard way. I always disassemble and clean all my new dies now. Lee makes lower cost decent stuff in the USA so people don't have to go broke reloading.

Anyway to answer the question, Lee Factory crimp works great, but your sizer is just as important.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That right there is a load of huey. I've had issues with all the companies and not had a lot of issues with Lee....and the only problem with Lee dies is they don't clean them very well at the factory. Learned this the hard way. I always disassemble and clean all my new dies now. Lee makes lower cost decent stuff in the USA so people don't have to go broke reloading.

Anyway to answer the question, Lee Factory crimp works great, but your sizer is just as important.

I'll say this. As I mentioned I load a high volume of .223 / 5.56 MM. I had my .223 RCBS sizing die go south on me. It became all but impossible to retract a resized case out of it, regardless of the amount of lube I used. I finally got fed up and went to Cabela's and bought a complete set of Lee Dies in .223.

It turned out to be the best move I ever made. I've since ran over 5,000 cases through that Lee resizing die, and it still is resizing beautifully. There is nothing wrong with Lee Dies.

On many other boards, the reloading snobs all have to admit that the Lee FCD is the bees knees for crimping. I use Lee products because reloading is a hobby for me, and it reloads totally serviceable ammo. If you compete at distance shooting, you may get better results with expensive dies, I can't say. I CAN say their equipment is easy to set up, easy to understand, is built to last, and they have great customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back