SCAM!Anyone renting their water heater tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is worst than the phone company scam where you had to lease a phone. Water heaters are cheap and tend to be trouble free for a couple decades.

What to rent next ? Light bulb ?

Rent a house or an apartment is reasonable, companies rent out a water heater or a stove or a microwave ... is just pure scam.

The last time I hear renting something other than an apartment was big screen TV during Super Bowl period.

Were I live in NW NJ I know that some new home developers contracted with propane suppliers to lock the new home buyers into only using that propane supplier. Needless to say the cost was even higher than heating with oil, the major heating fuel source here. It was legal sad to say. Read your sales contract carefully.

Whimsey

Here we can rent a water heater from the utility companies either gas or electric. But of course it is not financially the smart thing. But I know a couple people that think it is just the greatest, because they know what the bill will be every month, and they couldn't afford to replace it if it broke down, because they never save any money. The same as with 99% of all rentals.

In Kitchener, I rent the tank and also had to pay for the anti-scald valve which is an extra $15 per month. Scald valve was mandatory - safety nannies win again.

The City of Kitchener controls the water / natural gas utility.
What a bunch of idiots when it comes to setting the NG rates!

I put so much extra insulation in my house in the last 21 years of owning, the City replaced my NG meter 3x because they figured it was faulty!

I got out of my rental water heater, right before the liberals were about to harmonize the tax on them to 13%. It was a PITA, they wanna give you the run around

I switched over to tankless so I'm saving. I also got off the fixed price contract for gas. There are too many ways these companies shaft you with negative option contracts.

We are now getting fleeced with electricity prices on the smart meters.

The latest scams are rental furnaces where people are paying $80 and up a month.

What happens if you stop paying them? They going to break in and reclaim it? Down here they wouldn't really have any recourse unless they had your social security number to report to collections/credit bureaus.

I assume this scheme is mandated for carbon footprint reduction and that the target system is tankless on demand. "They" have made the energy companies responsible for proving proactive compliance with emissions targets. The service contractors are just doing what they do which is monetize their time.

This newer generation and some old love their nanny. No need to know anything about anything just do what you're told and pay the bill. ...As we move toward Idiocracy.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Is this for real? I checked the date and it's not April 1?

Oh yes, it's real, but I haven't heard of it for a fair period of time, and mostly in eastern provinces, too. I'm surprised that lawyers looking over house purchase agreements aren't stamping this out.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Trust me guys, it's very real, I'm not a lawyer, but they are obviously using some sort of a loop hole. What's sad though, is that most people treat it as normal when buying a new or used house that has one of these rentals. That's what's insane.

Also, I'm starting to see these companies advertising renting the entire HVAC systems. From what I've read so far it costs about $7000 to buy the system out, there is no cancellation option and they put a lien on the property! Stay clear!

How much was your monthly? I have an assumed rental (came with the house) through Enbridge, but it is only like $10 a month
21.gif
They've already replaced the tank once too.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: Falken
Quebec has had it's share of water heater rental scams... Like disgruntled crew showing up MIDNIGHT to take back their water heater.

Are these the guys coming up to your door, flashing dubious if not fraudulent credentials, demanding entrance to the property to "verify government eligibility" to rebate programs and next thing you know you're renting equipment from some parasitic entity??

I've got zero tolerance and zero patience for these people. I tell them to get off the property as soon as I open the door (sorry guys) and they try to prolong the interaction with every trick in the book (so, I'm not sorry guys).

These practises need to be outlawed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
How much was your monthly? I have an assumed rental (came with the house) through Enbridge, but it is only like $10 a month
21.gif
They've already replaced the tank once too.

Mine started off at about $25 and ended up $30 a month, with more annual increases on the way through Reliance. It was a power vent, which is more expensive.

Somebody mentioned lawyers, well in my case he was useless about it. Just said it was standard and there is no way out unless I pay the penalties and fees.

Now I'm finding out that the assumption of the contract is really enforced once the owner pays the first bill, which means accepting the terms and conditions. But even now I cannot find 100% confirmation for this.

Last edited:
It sounds unusual but I don't see the problem. Reducing the up front cost and instead renting a unit is very common these days for many things (cable modem, wifi router, DVR, cars, ...). Sounds like they found another item to do the same business model. That the cost of the item to buy is paid back very quickly with the rental model is irrelevant.

Why is this a scam? A scam would be paying the monthly rental charge and not getting hot water.....

I heard of that around where I grew up in upstate NY. Never heard anything positive or negative.

Glad my house didn't come with that.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
It sounds unusual but I don't see the problem. Reducing the up front cost and instead renting a unit is very common these days for many things (cable modem, wifi router, DVR, cars, ...). Sounds like they found another item to do the same business model. That the cost of the item to buy is paid back very quickly with the rental model is irrelevant.

Why is this a scam? A scam would be paying the monthly rental charge and not getting hot water.....
Renting those things is dumb too.

It is a scam if it's hidden in a mountain of paperwork and is difficult to get out of.

Last edited:
Because it is already in the house and in order to buy the house it seems you have to take this deal.

Can you tell the seller that you don't need hot water that badly, so just do what it takes to get it out of there and clear of the contract, then we'll close on the house.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Originally Posted By: hatt
Renting those things is dumb too.

It is a scam if it's hidden in a mountain of paperwork and is difficult to get out of.

It's one thing when people go to a company to rent something for limited used, such as TV for a month or two. It is another when it's hidden in a mountain of paperwork that a house owner has no idea he/she is renting it.

Sounds like the Webb laundry machine rental we used to have when my parents bought an apt building. In 1996 they were charing $120 us a month on some 20 year old machines after the tenants put quarters in to use it, because "not enough people were using the machines" while we pay for the electricity and water to operate it. We told them we want them out, and they said it may affect our property's value.

We bought a set of Whirlpool commercial coin ops, and it paid for itself within 2 year and then many times over since then. It took us some time to keep it running however, but was generating revenue instead of costing us money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back