Iceland beats England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soccer, had to look it up. I'm not into watching guys run on a field for 2 hours to see a team to score once or twice.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Soccer, had to look it up. I'm not into watching guys run on a field for 2 hours to see a team to score once or twice.

Apparently not into current events either.... j/k.

Yeah. I thought the same thing for decades. Then I watched a few games and learned a little. It's now hard to watch American sports with commercials every 3 minutes after watching 45 minutes of uninterrupted game, commercial break half time report, then 45+ more minutes of uninterrupted game. When you watch an NFL game you're sitting there for 3 hours to watch 11 minutes of game.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

Last edited:
@hatt

thumbsup2.gif

I would rather sit through four hours of football, then watch a bunch of grown men playing kickball.

It's what you grow up with. Although I have seen Europeans who like to watch handegg as much as football.

lol.gif
for the word "handegg", no offense to anyone.

Gotta go with hatt on thatt one (get it?)

One could make the argument that you get ~55 plays (snaps of the ball) per football game but how many of them are just pileups?

And my favorite: Baseball games need 3 pitchers.

Scored 2 goals is higher than normal. Many games ended with zero goal after 120 minutes(90 minute regular then 30 minutes extra if even after regular time) of playing. If the match is in elimination rounds, then penalty kick shoot out.

Bitogers are so sophisticated. Just dismiss anything you don't understand with passive aggressiveness and insults.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
I would rather sit through four hours of football, then watch a bunch of grown men playing kickball.
Meh. Both game's are actually surprising similar. When you break it down soccer is actually much more fast paced and exciting.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
@hatt

thumbsup2.gif

+2

Also interesting that ~10% of Icelands population is visiting France for the games. That's roughly 30,000 fans!

Originally Posted By: wemay
Bitogers are so sophisticated. Just dismiss anything you don't understand with passive aggressiveness and insults.

Well for me I do understand soccer( enough anyway )but it just does not interest me. I would rather sit and watch the grass grow. I rank it right up there with watching tennis and golf. Just too boring for me. The most excitement in a soccer game is usually when the hooligans in the stands get into it.

Now with that said if you like it by all means watch and enjoy. I just don't see it ever catching on here in the US and becoming a major sport like NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. Little blips of interest during World Cup action( and that is more national pride than interest in the game itself )but I just dobn't see it ever sustaining major interest.

I also thought the game was stupid but I decided to start watching so I could understand the game.
I learned what "offside" is, although darn if I can see it on the replays. I've learned what a penalty kick, free kick, corner kick, and goal kick is. Learned that they don't play on a field, but play on a pitch. He is called the Goal Keeper, not the goalie. I've started watching MLS here in the US, but I'd rather watch the women in their professional soccer league and the girls play a faster game vice the men.
Here in Orlando, we have the;
Orlando City (Lions), MLS men.
Orlando Pride, ladies.
Orlando City "B", men, lower classification league.

I'm now watching the COPA America where Chile beat Argentina on Shootouts.
Also have been watching the European league play.

The more I watch, the more I understand the game. I'm not saying I love/like the game, but at least I'm starting to understand the rules and game.

BTW, like most Americans, I felt it was a foreign game, with very little scoring, and that we Americans would never take a liking to the game. I could be wrong.

"Americans" really don't matter. Millions of people are coming here that know of no other game. Soccer is only going to get more popular.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Scored 2 goals is higher than normal. Many games ended with zero goal after 120 minutes(90 minute regular then 30 minutes extra if even after regular time) of playing. If the match is in elimination rounds, then penalty kick shoot out.

And the Sunday Chile v. ARG match was a nail biter. Loved the Chile win. Talk about a working man's team.

The worst sport EVER? Basketball. TOO MUCH scoring. Stupid dumb sport. USA Football and baseball are fine, but soccer is a good balance. 90 minute game. Soccer's two weaknesses: diving, which the refs are are just starting to call foul and interestingly the refs influence on the game. If the ref would have touched Messi again last night, they should have just got a hotel room.

Lastly, no mention of Italy beating on Spain. Awesome!!

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
England hasnt been relevant in the Euros/World cup in years.
Yeah, but Iceland has 300,000 people. My rural county has more people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back