Strange starting problem - 05 Dakota 3.7L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... so after a run of problems that I've solved, I'm running into another that I'm having the hardest time diagnosing.

Usually (I've had the truck 10 years now), I turn the key, the starter turns the motor over vigorously (RPMs go to 1100 or so), and then they drop back to 900-1000, until the engine warms up at which point the RPMs have lowered to 600 or so.

Recently, the sequence goes like this: Turn key, engine turns over easily, RPMs go to 1100, drop to 400, rise to about 800, and then the engine stalls. Try again, and it just doesn't even try to stay started, unless I give it some gas right after releasing the key to keep the motor spinning. Once started, it drives like a dream though.

If it's not a totally cold start (i.e. less than about 4-5 hours after last running), it starts like normal.

Recent maintenance history (I figure some of this has some bearing on all of this):

Sometime before Memorial Day, my water pump bearings and/or belt tensioner got enough play in them so that the serpentine belt ended up jumping a groove or two, to eventually throwing/destroying the belt on the Friday prior to Memorial Day.

Over that weekend, I got the water pump and belt replaced. Everything seemed fine for about a week, until I started getting heinous belt squeal on cold starts. Turns out that the belt tensioner had some kind of gasket or shim between the two halves that had cracked and partially fallen out, making the two halves of the tensioner no longer parallel, and causing the belt to be misaligned. I replaced the tensioner- squeal solved.

About a week after that, I was preoccupied at work and locked my keys in the truck with the ignition turned to "ON", but not with the engine started. Ran the battery down, needed a jump. After that, for the next week, it struggled to turn the starter hard enough to actually start the engine, and it gradually got worse. Since it was a 5 year old battery in Texas, I replaced it under warranty, and now it turns over like a champ, but does that weird business I describe at the top of the post- it turns over vigorously and sounds like it fires up, but it doesn't stay started well.

Fuel pump comes to mind, but wouldn't that be an issue while driving? Alternator also comes to mind, but everything's bright and the battery seems to be charging fine - I've driven on it for a week now with no problems other than this starting business.

Any ideas?

hHJSAm0.jpg

something wasnt put back together right, check for loose electrical connections or vacuum hoses.

Last edited:
Clean the throttle body, you're describing a classic symptom of a dirty throttle blade and bore.

Also, changing the battery probably reset the adaptives in the engine control module, so it may take it a bit to "figure out" how to smoothly start and descend to idle again. I've had a couple of cars that would do that. Usually half a dozen drive cycles (cold start, warm up, shutdown/cool off) would get it back to normal.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Clean the throttle body, you're describing a classic symptom of a dirty throttle blade and bore.

Also remove and clean your Idle Air Control Valve while you have the throttle body removed from the manifold. And check your Throttle Position Sensor. With ignition key in the on position and engine not running check the middle wire on the tps elecrical connector. Should be about .5 volts with the throttle plate closed. Then slowly open the throttle by hand. The voltage should slowly and steadily increase to somewhere between 4.5 and 5 volts. Anything different or if the voltage changes erratically means you may have a bad TPS.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Also, changing the battery probably reset the adaptives in the engine control module, so it may take it a bit to "figure out" how to smoothly start and descend to idle again. I've had a couple of cars that would do that. Usually half a dozen drive cycles (cold start, warm up, shutdown/cool off) would get it back to normal.

That seems to have been the issue; a day or two after my initial post, it began starting right up and staying started... right about the 7th or 8th cold start cycle. It's since gone through 4 without issue, including sitting for 2 days and starting right up and staying started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back