Donaldson PowerCore as HEPA filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What say ye? They are actually rated at MERV 13 which is pretty good. Apparently that will trap sub-micron particulate like a HEPA filter would down to 0.3micron but lacking 99.99+% first pass efficiency of a MERV 16-20 true HEPA. I may be able to acquire two of these filters for free.

Would you fab up a filter holder and install it to a small air recirculator??

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Sounds like a waste of time that won't add 5 minutes to your lifespan.

Filtering air in general? Well IDK about that but being an allergy sufferer I do what I can to improve the minutes of my life, however many there may be

Originally Posted By: Leo99
What are you trying to accomplish? What is the goal?

HEPA air filtration at the lowest possible cost! Throw in an itch to custom make it and a fascination with fluted media type air filters and voila
smile.gif

If you can get the filters free and enjoy making things, go for it. Worst case, it doesn't work and you can go back to the drawing board.
But, at least you learned something!

Will be interesting how long they last pulling a bunch of air through them.

Google Donaldson's "Intake" catalog and you can see the CFM ratings for each size Power Core. In the general air in a home I doubt that you have enough larger particles to be cycloned out of the front section, but the main section is where you have the fine filtration coming through the flutes.

Then match your air turbine or fan to the filter.

UPDATE:

While technically the performance of the filters is satisfactory, I have discovered why automotive air filters are not suitable for environmental air filtration; they stink.

I'm as weird as the next guy on BITOG I think, in that sometimes I like the smell of new filters. Apparently the smell is from phenolic resins (often containing formaldehyde) that the paper is treated with. It did not subside after an hour strapped up to my Sharp Plasmacluster air filter and the room started to stink. Surprisingly air flow was pretty good, but bear in mind the Sharp is designed for HEPA filter media so it's designed to pull through that level of restriction.

So not wanting to grow a pair of breasts from the volatilizing phenols, the project has been cancelled, and now I have some great custom air filters for engines/air compressors in the future.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back