06' Volvo XC90 Yamaha V8 - What Oil To Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've used this forum before for oil questions and defiantly found it very helpful, especially for some more common engines I've driven. Thanks for the wealth of information!

I just bought a Volvo XC90 with a V8 that was made by Yamaha. On the drive home (about 3 hours) the oil pressure light started to flicker when I took my foot of the gas pedal after a hard acceleration. I would just flicker once and no longer than a second and would go off when the car returned to idle or I accelerated.

Anyways - that aside (not looking for an answer for that here, will try a Volvo forum) - what would be a good oil for this engine? I have been a fan of the Euro M1 0W-40 since using it in my BMW and think that might be a good one to use, what do you all think?

To my knowledge this engine has an API specification only. Posts on Swedspeed indicate few to no issues with this engine if maintained properly. I'd follow the owners manual for the oil spec and query the V8 owners on Swedspeed.

Interesting that the light would go on when you lifted your foot off the gas pedal. I would assume oil pressure would be lowest at idle. To me this indicates something wrong besides the oil pressure like a problem with the sensor, or an electrical problem.

Thanks I've been reading Swedespeed but they have been slow to authorize my account to allow me to post anything. Seems to be some good information over there.

Fsharp - I was thinking (and hoping!) its something as simple as a sensor. Engine runs great with no strange noises and tons of power! Its cheap enough so I'm going to go ahead and replace it and see if that does the trick.

It'll be interesting to find out what it is. I'd love to have one of those V8 Volvos, but the opportunity hasn't presented itself. Interesting engine design I think the v angle is 60 degrees to allow it to fit better in a transverse application. Volvo will probably never make another v8.

Unrelated Volvo oil pressure story: I had a 1985 Volvo 240 Turbo, around the year 2004. After changing the oil, the oil pressure light would come on and oil pressure would be low on the gauge at idle when the engine was hot. The manual said this may occur. However, I was worried about it. I even went so far as to check the thermostat on the oil cooler adapter mounted between the oil filter and the block. Long story short, eventually I swapped the OCOD that I had put on it for what is sometimes called a Tearolator, the oil pressure jumped about 10psi at hot idle and I never had another issue.

If it's the same 4.4 L V8 that we get here (Oz), then Valvoline say to use SynPower 5W-40. Shell also say to use a full synthetic 5W-40, like Helix Ultra here, but it will probably be called something like pennzoil platinum ultra Euro there.

You say your a big fan of Euro M1 0-40, I consider this to be a very similar oil to the 5W-40's listed above. If you are in warranty I would stick to what they say to use.

Thought I'd provide an update as I was on the site looking up something.

Happy to report that after a few thousands miles and (I think two) oil changes - I have not seen the oil light flicker at all. It pretty much quit as soon as I changed the oil. I didn't not have the change the oil pressure sensor.

I think the oil was a little low initially and after the first change there was plenty of gunk/sludge in the oil filter cap. Pretty gross and not ideal.

I am running the Mobil 1 0W-40 full syn and it seems to like it. Makes it easy for me to have same oil between cars as well.

Oil looked pretty clean on the last change after about 4-5k miles but I changed it because it popped up with a message light noting low oil (it was about a quart low). So I'm thinking there is a leak somewhere - no indication that it would be burning oil and its fairly wet under there - afraid it might be a main seal... hopefully just a valve cover gasket.

Anyways, happy with the Volvo V8. Efficiency for a V8 and such a big car is surprisingly good - especially for long trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back