Severe service and OEM oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't hurt. AN oil change is what- $25? If it makes you feel better, than by all means do it. But it probably isn't necessary either. Just do what makes you feel comfortable then do it, if not follow the owners manual.

Some thoughts.

It's the 'safe' advice. No product complaints/come backs using the OEM filter and the 'severe' schedule. I also note he is standing in front of a Hyundai, making it true what he said about the severe service listing. Hyundai and Kia has a long list of things included in severe service, which makes about everything severe. So severe choice is the safe choice.

Honda otoh, has a maintenance minder system which precludes worrying about what is severe, unless one wants to take it on themselves.

As for using oem filter, again safe advice especially while under warranty. However not all aftermarket filters are generic non label as represented in vid. There are many reputable aftermarket filter makers that put their name on the filters, stand behind them, and are as good or better than the oem.

But 'safe' advice, is a no lose proposition for the vid spokesman.

I agree with him about using the owners manual and a trusted mechanics advice. As far as the filters go, I get the oem filter cheaper then most aftermarket filters.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Some thoughts.

It's the 'safe' advice. No product complaints/come backs using the OEM filter and the 'severe' schedule. I also note he is standing in front of a Hyundai, making it true what he said about the severe service listing. Hyundai and Kia has a long list of things included in severe service, which makes about everything severe. So severe choice is the safe choice.

Honda otoh, has a maintenance minder system which precludes worrying about what is severe, unless one wants to take it on themselves.

As for using oem filter, again safe advice especially while under warranty. However not all aftermarket filters are generic non label as represented in vid. There are many reputable aftermarket filter makers that put their name on the filters, stand behind them, and are as good or better than the oem.

But 'safe' advice, is a no lose proposition for the vid spokesman.

Yup, our Hyundai gets the severe service schedule. But because of this, we run various filters... oem, Fram, NapaGold, ChampsLabs. Never an issue.

What a crock of horse manure. Severe service to this guy is anytime the key is turned. When a motor sits and idles, it's the easiest running time the motor will ever have. Minimal stress and strain on the motor parts. cruising on a highway is also easy running. That's why you get your best mileage on the highway. Hard service is when your vehicle is loaded to capacity and or towing a trailer, boat, or other heavy item . Let's talk about "Genuine factory parts". I don't know of any mfgr that MAKES its own oil, oil filters, power steering fluid, air filters,freon, anti freeze, light bulbs, brake pads,brake fluid rotors, transmission fluid and filters, or wiper blades. The mfgr just puts out a spec and accepts bids from makers of those products and the lowest bidder usually gets to supply them the the auto maker as factory fluid.The reason you pay more at the dealer is because they are the "middleman". As long as you have a spec to follow, you can use "aftermarket" products with similar or better results.Look at how many cars never see a dealership after they are bought, and last hundreds of thousands of miles. Thousands of auto parts stores wouldn't be in business if it didn't work that way.,,

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Some thoughts.

This seems to be the case with quite a few brands now, but especially hyundai/kia. It seems like quite a few DI motors suggest earlier changes, but the more DI/turbo applications about there, more will be "severe" rated.

In most cases, if the earlier "severe" OCI is followed, then for sure most OEM filters will do the job. Most of the premium filters are aimed at longer drains.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
I agree with him about using the owners manual and a trusted mechanics advice. As far as the filters go, I get the oem filter cheaper then most aftermarket filters.

I'm the same way. I go with the OLM and the OEM filter. As long as the oil meets the certs for the manufacturer I don't see any harm in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back