OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Interesting little board statistic here:

The board, at the present time:
- has 58,283 members
- has 2,881 pages of members comprising of 25 members per page
- has 1,338 pages of members with a post count of "0" + 5 members
- has 33,455 members with no posts.

That leaves us with 24,828 members with a post count higher than "0", or less than half of the total users. Worded differently: the majority of user accounts created on BITOG have never posted!

What's funny is every once in a while you see someone make their first or second post ever, and their account was created like 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

- has 58,283 members

That leaves us with 24,828 members with a post count higher than "0", or less than half of the total users. Worded differently: the majority of user accounts created on BITOG have never posted!

Yeah, OVERKILL, I refuse to post on principle; I just can't figure out where that number by my name came from.

Most of those "zero" posters are likely afraid or deceased.

As to the alive ones...this place doesn't really encourage free speech - especially if you have the nerve to have an opinion :eek:)

Having said my $0.02, there is a good amount of information here that doesn't require interaction with others.

Sometimes people will join a board only because there is content on that board which is unavailable to non-members. And then they get scolded for being freeloaders by failing to participate.

Sometimes folks will join with the intent to participate, but then lose interest and never bother to cancel their membership.

There are even boards where it's difficult or impossible to have yourself removed from the membership list.

If the internet has taught me one thing, it's that online shilling is huge business. I'd say that a lot of people maybe signed up just to access some posts/information, and also a lot of them are shell accounts for use by online shill campaigns that would likely promote products or a particular psychology without looking like they signed up yesterday to do it. This board and indeed most popular and viable boards are a real honeypot for that type of activity.
wink.gif

I have had numerous forums since 1996.
Back then I found lurkers mostly and those usually
were my competition or those from China, India, and or Spain looking for ideas to steal. Since then I went members only- customers.

You would not believe how little old men sneak around and gossip.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's funny is every once in a while you see someone make their first or second post ever, and their account was created like 10 years ago.

Yes! I did this unintentionally over on a Ford Focus forum. Back in the early 2000's my mother had a Focus. I joined the forum to learn something or other about the car but never posted there. She traded the car in and life goes on, etc. Fast forward to last summer and I bought my own Focus and when I went to create my username lo and behold it was already taken... by me.

I asked, in my first post if I won an award for the longest term lurker.

And about 5% of BITOG members hoard oil......it would be about 10% if you count active users.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
And about 5% of BITOG members hoard oil......it would be about 10% if you count active users.
Maybe 5% of total, but it would be interesting to find out the statistic of us regulars on here that hoard oil. Now that would be impressive
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah... lol
I resisted oil deals for the last several weeks.
I'm done... Well today I found out an old buddy of mine from the past deals in high volume oil-lubricant delivery....... OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: CKN

Originally Posted By: pscholte

- has 58,283 members

Yeah, OVERKILL, I refuse to post on principle; I just can't figure out where that number by my name came from.

the elfmeister is back !!!!!!! good to hear from you, man.
pleeeeease come back ! the days of the intelligent threads have been disappearing faster than the middle class.
look at the threads topics from the last couple of days -- ear hair, where do pets go (after death),baking cookies in a car, in phoenix,ear wax, to name a few.
please come back and help rescue the board .gary is likely spinning in his grave.take care, and keep sniffin' that old GC.
(the goofy thread topics are funny, though).

Originally Posted By: yeti

- has 58,283 members

the elfmeister is back !!!!!!! good to hear from you, man.
pleeeeease come back ! the days of the intelligent threads have been disappearing faster than the middle class.
look at the threads topics from the last couple of days -- ear hair, where do pets go (after death),baking cookies in a car, in phoenix,ear wax, to name a few.
please come back and help rescue the board .gary is likely spinning in his grave.take care, and keep sniffin' that old GC.
(the goofy thread topics are funny, though).

Yes !! We could fill the hot tub with green Castrol and "hang out".
11.gif

Did they elves hack your account, or did you subjugate them into typing for you?
wink.gif

Tegger is quite right. There probably are lots of people that just sign up to make reading stuff more easy. I'm a member of several automotive forums where I haven't made a post.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Any stats available on the top 25 posters?

1. 46,954 - Pablo
2. 39,806 - Gary Allen (RIP)
3. 38,103 - JHZR2
4. 33,147 - Shannow
5. 31,751 - OVERKILL
6. 31,623 - Quattro Pete
7. 30,185 - buster
8. 29,291 - eljefino
9. 25,195 - demarpaint
10. 21,499 - Drew99GT
11. 19,484 - Patman
12. 19,479 - mechtech2