Thanks Rogge, you eurocentric idiot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say something..but it would lock down this thread (again)
smile.gif

Just because the USA is so utterly dominant, we get kicked out.

I feel bad for those who would have gold medals adorning their fireplaces in the years to come. Just a shame...

I know that many of you don't want to hear this, but in terms of games played globally, baseball and softball are minnows compared to sports such as soccer.

There is nothing "World" about the World Series of Baseball, but look at the level of participation in the World Cup of Soccer. There are 203 National Football (Soccer) Associations that are members of FIFA, and the initial rounds of a World Cup of Soccer tournament involves countries from every region of the world.

Eurocentric? To not understand ditching baseball/softball for other sports in an international Olympics is, well, very Yankeecentric.

Don't worry, if they include Aussie Rules football in the Olympics, then you'll KNOW (and I'll acknowledge) an anti-U.S. bias.
smile.gif

BTW, that would be quite a few golds for Oz.

Excuse me - BUT baseball is played everywhere in the world EXCEPT Europe, Mr. Jeffrey. I have nothing against soccer and this is NOT what this post is about. Look at the make-up of US Baseball teams, Mr Jeffery (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Japan, Venezuela, Korea, even Australia). Look at the winners of the Little League world series. Look at who is MOST disappointed countries by this PURELY political decision. Sorry, but you are well, very wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Excuse me - BUT baseball is played everywhere in the world EXCEPT Europe, Mr. Jeffrey. I have nothing against soccer and this is NOT what this post is about. Look at the make-up of US Baseball teams, Mr Jeffery (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Japan, Venezuela, Korea, even Australia). Look at the winners of the Little League world series. Look at who is MOST disappointed countries by this PURELY political decision. Sorry, but you are well, very wrong.

Pablo,

You seem to be pretty passionate about either baseball, or the perception that Europeans want to "stick it" to the USA.

I am not trying to get you riled up. But I am not wrong to say that, outside of America, interest in American baseball lags far behind interest in other sports.

You are correct. Baseball is played all over the world, but global INTEREST AND PASSION for baseball is nowhere near the level of global interest in sports such as soccer, rugby, heck, even cricket! That is the point that I am making.

Globally, American baseball occupies a level in the sporting pecking order that is comparable to the market share that ice hockey has in the USA - very, very little interest.

I believe baseball has been and will be dominated by the Latin American countries in the olympics. As I recall, the USA lost in the preliminary round last year and did not qualify. Major leaguers don't participate nor do high minor leaguers.

Say that in Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Cuba, anywhere in Latin America etc and you may be shot. I am not comparing to other "sports" but as the other fellows point out - show me the world's passion for synchronized swimming....synchro diving is in because China is behind it.
wink.gif
Team handball? - sweet and right up there.
lol.gif

I do think you underestimate the passion for baseball and yes it is ahead of cricket and rugby!

I think your euroblinders are quite closed - stop thinking of baseball as purely and American sport. Put you mind's eye in Mexico or Japan.

quote:

Originally posted by Slick17601:
Jeffrey, your thoughts have me wondering if you shouldn't move to Europe? After all Baseball is our national past time.

Slick,

Take a look below my last post where it reads: "From"

I have been living in Germany for the past 9 years. Germany is country located roughly in the middle of Europe.
wink.gif

Baseball is America's national past time, but the original topic here is Olympic Sports. Olympics is meant to be driven by international interest and tradition, not the past times of America.

Pablo,

for the past 9 years I have lived outside of America. I can promise you that the bulk of international sporting news covers Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket WAY before anyone even thinks of American baseball. Sure, people play it, but they aren't selling out stadiums in the same numbers that are drawn globally for Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket.

Sports are for children. I rank them right up there with organized worship in terms of wasted productivity. How many 10s of 1000s are there "worshipping" guys playing with a ball? I suggest a reality check for all those fans paying to "participate" in a stadium full of screaming idiots...take all that energy and go help some kids or something. My opinion on this was crystalized when I saw my cousin's husband yell at his precious daughter for wandering in front of the TV while the "Big Game" was on. I almost decked him. This is all in the midst of a "family celebration". All the idiots were fully distracted and preoccupied with the "Game" (which had absolutely nothing to do with them personally). Grow up!

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
Maybe they will bring Musical Chairs or Tag to the next Olympiad.
dunno.gif

Or my all time favorite "hide and go seek". I think if have Musical Chairs, Sychrhonized Musical Chairs will be a must. What about these dance events? Why not pole dancing?

[ July 09, 2005, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: JavaMan ]

Pablo,

Regarding baseball and the Olympic Committee: I bet you that if it could be guaranteed that the majority of baseball's current, big time stars would participate in the Olympics then the committee would keep baseball.

Such an All-Star format would generate great interest, and the Olympic Committee does care about $$. The word is that they won't include golf because they can't be certain that the stars of the game would participate.

The money of the Olympics does seem to run counter to it's heritage of amateur participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back