Brake Rotor - Are there any good ones left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to do a brake job on my '08 Tundra soon. I am thinking of going with akebono brake pads, but not sure one what rotors to go with. I would like a coated/painted rotor due to the salty winters, but otherwise I just really want a decent quality rotor that will last long and not pulsate.

I was looking at Centric Premiums, but they are hard to find without ordering from the US (pricey shipping/customs). I can also get a pretty good deal on Stop Tech brake pacakages, which have zinc coated rotors, but are cross drilled.

Any opinions on what's decent these days? I just don't want to spend money on junk parts.

I have Autozone Duralast Gold black colored rotors. They are painted black and have a 3 year warranty. The rotors are made in China but have not warped or lost any color over the last year.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I have Autozone Duralast Gold black colored rotors. They are painted black and have a 3 year warranty. The rotors are made in China but have not warped or lost any color over the last year.

I have the same rotors with the gold pads and they are pulsating like crazy. Was diagnosed that the rotors were junk. I am going to check the warranty to see if I can get new ones as freebies.

Rotors are so hard now a days. Expensive rotors can warp and cheap rotors can run like iron. Unfortunately I have not had the best of luck with long lasting brakes unless you go OEM. Also heard good things with the Centric premiums

Obligatory:
rotor_warning.jpg

Look at the GD series rotors from EBC. They are dimpled and slotted, e-coated for protection as well. I have had a set on my Tacoma for about 5 years and have been problem free. Also using a set of their 7000 series Truck/SUV pads and they are the best front pads I have used in many many years. Cost is a little more up front, but longevity makes up for that.

I've got ACDelco professional rotors on my Cadillac now and they seem to be doing quite well. They have the painted centers and I believe they are the same as Raybestos advanced technology rotors.

I'd stay away from cross drilled and slotted rotors. OK they look cool, etc, but after just 2 years they're pulsating the brakes like mad, scary on high speed stops!

I drive like there's nitro in the passenger seat, nice and easy, really annoyed at the results.

Even with the coatings, the slots load up and the drilled holes start to plug and the recommended pads generated lots of dust!

So during a brake service last fall, I drilled out the holes .040" + on a drill press and chamfered the holes and cleaned out the slots. Now in June it's starting again!

I was looking for some for an 02 Camry. I didn't buy, but the Toyota OE weren't much more expensive, less expensive than some actually. They have on the box that I saw, Made in Japan.I found ebay using the OE part number to be the best prices.

I'm not impressed with the akebono's in my 06 Tundra. They have been !fantastic! in the mdx and nicely-matched in the volvo (they don't grip as strongly as volvo oem), but they have been weak in the tundra by far. I have raybestos advanced tech rotors matched with them. Tundra needs pads up front that are a big more aggressive. same problem with rear drums - aftermarket shoes didn't have the same bite as oem - and this truck needs as much help as it can get with brakes.

I almost always use the raybestos advanced tech rotors and have been happy with them in most cases. I did receive 2 defective rotors a couple of years ago, but I've got all 3 vehicles using them and they've been good. the truck sees towing duties.

I also wouldn't hesitate to try the upper line rotors from autozone. I hear good things about them and I have really come to appreciate local brick and mortar when dealing with things like rotors which are heavy to RMA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
I'm not impressed with the akebono's in my 06 Tundra. They have been !fantastic! in the mdx and nicely-matched in the volvo (they don't grip as strongly as volvo oem), but they have been weak in the tundra by far. I have raybestos advanced tech rotors matched with them. Tundra needs pads up front that are a big more aggressive. same problem with rear drums - aftermarket shoes didn't have the same bite as oem - and this truck needs as much help as it can get with brakes.

I have the next gen Tundra, but I know the brake design is similar. Do you have any other pad recommendation then? I haven't heard much bad about akebonos.

So it seems that rotors are pretty much a [censored] shoot? As far as I can tell, everything is cast overseas now?

I typically deal with Carquest, and they offered me a good price on a their premium coated rotors and it comes with a good warranty. I may end up going with them because I know if I have warranty issues, they are very good to deal with vs a mail order supplier.

If anyone else has nay other opinions please chime in.

I would buy something with a painted hat. Ticked me off to replace rotors and pads on my RAV4, then paint the calipers black.

One week later the hats were coated with rust.

This is summer in Texas, it rusted due to moisture in the air that quickly.

Best of luck. I'm in the same boat. All the aftermarket rotors I've seen for my Cruze seem to be the same white-box Chinese ones. I'm shopping by price and warranty. Advance/Carquest seems to be cheapest so far.

ATE.

Coated for anti-rust and, more important, heat threated for anti-warping.
ATE are the only rotors i found that stand the stress of hard high speed braking for the lifetime of the rotor.
I will never change back to any other brand.

Last edited:
Aisin OE (from the dealer) is pretty good, Centric Premium or Centric High Carbon are decent as well. Clean the hub flange really well and make sure the runout is under 0.002" after installation, and you should be ok for a while.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Aisin OE (from the dealer) is pretty good, Centric Premium or Centric High Carbon are decent as well. Clean the hub flange really well and make sure the runout is under 0.002" after installation, and you should be ok for a while.

Rockauto.com shows the OE pads as Advics. I am assuming these would be the same as the Toyota dealer? They are about half the price. I may go with these since Abekonos are out of stock and are more expensive. The Beck/Arnley OE pads are also listed as being made by Advics but are more expensive than the Advics ultra premium pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back