API CK-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any info on Chevron's soon to be released CK-4 motor oil?
How will it do in my 2003 Duramax? Will it replace CJ-4?

Last edited:
Chevron says it'll be backward compatible
smile.gif

What made me think about the new CK-4 standard vs. CJ-4 was what happened in the change from DEX-3 to DEX-6 in my Allison 1000 transmission. DEX-6 weakened some seals and caused leakage in transmissions built before 2006. I went with the TES-295 standard in the trans.

I was wondering about a possible effect on my 2003 Duramax because they also said DEX-6 was backward with DEX-3. I can't afford a new engine, much less major repairs to it.

Thanks
TiredTrucker and BrocLuno for your responses.

There was an oil cooler line re-call on GMC/Chev DHs with Allison transmissions.
Was Dex-6 ever recommended for Allison?
TES 389 and 295 are the proper fluids according to Allison depending on the vintage.
GM did their own thing with Dex-3H.

Your 2003 Dmax would have been CI-4.
CK-4 passes CI-4, CI-4+, CJ-4 and all previous C for compression ignition classifications.

My '07 HD2500 Classic LBZ came factory filled with Dex6. That was the part of the first fluid change at 5k miles when I switched to a TES-295 fluid.

From a formulation standpoint - there may be some big differences in the chemistry choices - especially between the high phos and low phos options (diesel only vs universal oil). There may also be some significant changes in the detergents used looking forward.

CK-4 platforms have been worked on and developed for a long time, and I'm sure that the oil companies have been running fleet trials on their planned formulas. I don't think you would have any issues with the upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back