That's unfortunate...or maybe bypass filtration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil & filter change on my 2.2L Ecotec Friday evening (10k miles on oil, 20k miles on filter - 50-80 MPH 5th gear 120 miles/day). Oil was 5w30 QSUD, filter Fram Ultra 9018.

As-is(was) (pic not great, I could see more steel mesh than my camera captured):
Fram_Ultra1.jpg

Bent one pleat for inspection:
Fram_Ultra2.jpg

Oil looked like sweet sweet honey on the dipstick at 7,000 miles (17,000 miles on filter). No crushing (like paper filters tend to do), replaced with another Fram Ultra 9018 (because it's what I had on-hand).

"Unfortunate" is kind, second topic choice closer at least for some period of time. However, it was run past the 15k mi recommendation. I would be curious of the time frame for the 20k though?

Next one, go one 10k mile oci max.

Thanks for pics.

Owner neglect.

The high efficiency media used in that filter might be rated for 15K, but it's media strength might falloff rapidly once it crosses a certain point.
I'm thinking the media used in Fram Ultra oil filters is more delicate and is why they back it with a metal screen.

I used the same filter in the same engine and again for 20,000 miles, it loaded up with carbon but no holes at all. It is possible that the bypass valve, located in the filter cap, could be failing. This could force the filter to deal with greater differential pressure than it is designed for.

I would change the cap to be safe. Part #PF458G from GM supplies the filter and cap.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Owner neglect.

The high efficiency media used in that filter might be rated for 15K, but it's media strength might falloff rapidly once it crosses a certain point.
I'm thinking the media used in Fram Ultra oil filters is more delicate and is why they back it with a metal screen.

Yup, filter's good for 15k, he used it for 20.

This is the oil filter manufacturer's recommendation for the Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter:

"Ultimate dual-layer synthetic media provides up to 15,000 miles of engine protection"

Fram does build with a margin but the OP must have used up that margin by going to 20K miles on the filter.
49.gif
whistle.gif

That filter should have taken those miles easily. He drove 120 miles a day on the highway. Doesn't get easier than that. In the 70's filters were used for two OCI's up to 15,000 miles all the time. That filter is either made of poop or it was subjected to conditions it was not designed for.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
... In the 70's filters were used for two OCI's up to 15,000 miles all the time. ....

Really. Please enlighten me as to where you got that information!

So was I, but I NEVER saw a 15k FCI recommendation, it was always change filter with oil at "X" interval. I'd be interested to see any leftover owner's manuals with that info inside.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
That filter should have taken those miles easily. He drove 120 miles a day on the highway. Doesn't get easier than that. In the 70's filters were used for two OCI's up to 15,000 miles all the time. That filter is either made of poop or it was subjected to conditions it was not designed for.

Wow, thanks for that point of view wobblyelvis. If you say oil filters were able to last for 15k miles in the 70's, I believe you because you were there. I also believe you that the filter of subject is made of poo poo. I will avoid those like the plauge now!

There are many variables that enter into this type of usage.

1. Engine cleanliness when the filter was first installed.

2. Engine state of tune / how much soot per mile is this engine making.

3. PCV valve condition and function.

When the filter fills to capacity, then bad things like this can happen.
49.gif
whistle.gif

Badly made filter, shouldn't happen in any miles. it's supposed to bypass if full. Goes for Fram the same as others. There is no reason to fail at one point unless the high speed manufacturing machinery goofed, and it's pretty clear it did goof.

goodtimes - everything should wear out gracefully together. In this case, the filter failed potentially because it was run too long. People are pushing the envelope. If this happened on or before 15000 miles, the OP would have a legitimate complaint with Fram.

A test to see if the media is plugged would be revealing.

Old car manuals can be found here..http://www.oldirononline.com/

On page 5.2 of the 1977 Chevelle's owner's manual you will find a 7,500 mile oil change interval and page 5.3 says to change the filter every second oil change.

This thread may be of interest. The same filter run for 20,000 miles. Pics of filter loaded with carbon. No holes in media.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4089449/Re:_Reuse_fram_XG_for_1_more_O#Post4089449

and http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3994431/1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
goodtimes - everything should wear out gracefully together. In this case, the filter failed potentially because it was run too long. People are pushing the envelope. If this happened on or before 15000 miles, the OP would have a legitimate complaint with Fram.

A test to see if the media is plugged would be revealing.

I think when they say 15k they refer to dirt capacity until there could be bypassing, not failure. It just shouldn't fail,a $2 filter shouldn't tear even if it is solid mud inside and the bypass is working. If the bypass is say 12 psi, no matter what, the media has to handle 12 psi against it forever. I do think they sell a lot of Ultras now and the manufacturing is humming. I envision the roll of two ply media and the mesh coming together on a machine to be pleated. Something happened at the bottom of that pleat is my guess. The mesh is very strong, I cut one open, it takes quite a bit to bend it.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
There are many variables that enter into this type of usage.

1. Engine cleanliness when the filter was first installed.

2. Engine state of tune / how much soot per mile is this engine making.

3. PCV valve condition and function.

When the filter fills to capacity, then bad things like this can happen.
49.gif
whistle.gif

1. Engine is extremely clean, the last 8 or so oil changes have been with QSUD or PP, never over 10K. Before that the car has lived almost its entire life with Syntec or M1 on 5K OCI\FCI. Top Tier gas 95% of the time. Also I had the valve cover off a couple dozen miles ago and it was CLEAN.

2. State of tune is excellent. New plugs and O2 sensor about 9 months ago just because.

3. 2.2L EcoTec uses a fixed orifice breather, I doubt it is plugged because the car uses next to no oil (maybe a quart in 10K miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back