Antivirus for Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you , guys. Fortunately, we don't have important files on the computer.

It was a fillable PDF file from a state agency, BTW.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Malwarebytes is a must. It is not free but it does things no antivirus will do.

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes from a few years ago where it was a lifetime license.

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Malwarebytes is a must. It is not free but it does things no antivirus will do.

You should have antivirus program AND Malwarebytes AND SuperAntiSpyware.

Last edited:
10 years ago, I did about 15+ virus/malware removals, or reformats every week. Now, if I see two malware problems a week, I am surprised. Windows, and browsers, have gotten a lot better/more secure. The main/most common injection points have been addressed. Drive by infections are really rare now.

Tried and true- Kaspersky and Eset. Reliable, and light on resources compared to many. Good blacklists, especially on Eset. I picked up three, three license, Kaspersky Internet Security from Best Buy a few months ago....for less than $20 total. Sales happen all the time. Jump on it , and keep it around until you need it. If you wait until your license runs out, you are at the mercy of the market.

AV Comparatives has most of the data. Programs are broken down into categories, like detection rates, false positives, system resources used, etc.

Windows defender- still not great, but better...slightly. Don't pay actual money for McAfee.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
enable windows defender

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/defender-realtime-protection-on-off#1TC=windows-7

it's much better than it used to be

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025889/w...used-to-be.html

I've been using Defender for years and can't recall ever having a virus causing my computer to crash. I have had some annoying spyware take over on a few occasions and Malwarebytes has always come to the rescue. The best thing I've ever done to minimize the problems was to stop using Internet Explorer and only use Firefox.

I was using Avira Free until it stopped playing well with Virtualbox.

I had Bitdefender on some other computers, but didn't need all the pay features, so I let the subscription expire and went to the free offering.

I can't recall the last time I got an ad/nag screen from it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Avast and AVG are top free ones

Avira Free is good also, as-is Bitdefender.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
Linux is the best antivirus you'll ever get.

Amen to that. Two plus years of Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Lubuntu and a couple of Chromebooks. Don't think I'll ever touch Windows again.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Odd, I'm running it on Win10.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
bitdefender free is not for Windows10.

it isn't odd at all. Just go to the website and forums. There are lot of issues with running free on Windows 10 and bitdefender strictly says the free is not for windows 10. Use at your own risk of course. If you like it, use it.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Yesterday our laptop got a trojan and it looks like I am going to do a clean reinstall. I had a Mcafee on it which obviously failed...

Is there a free antivirus out there that is not a resource hog and gets the job done for viruses and malware? The free version of Malwarebytes was not enabled to do a live scan (I don't think it has the capability).

Been using AVG, so far so good.

As someone already said what wrong with using Windows Defender.

Other than the fact it's so unobtrusive that intially you don't realise Windows 10 comes with it installed, it works fine for me at home. At work we've used the Enterprise version on 500+ computers for some time. I can honestly say it's less trouble in terms of both performance and deployment than anything else we have ever used.

Originally Posted By: barryh
As someone already said what wrong with using Windows Defender.

Other than the fact it's so unobtrusive that intially you don't realise Windows 10 comes with it installed, it works fine for me at home. At work we've used the Enterprise version on 500+ computers for some time. I can honestly say it's less trouble in terms of both performance and deployment than anything else we have ever used.

Defender does not work "fine." It continually fails 3rd party testing. It is slightly better than having nothing and that is being generous.

+3 for linux.

Original firewall settings should be sufficient enough unless you are seriously downloading extremely questionable things.

Pretty common knowledge that you should not have more than 1 AV program on your computer.

If using Windows is a must and to make you feel safe by having an AV program, my vote is Windows' Windows Defender. I don't really see how any other program can be better than it.

You wouldn't even need it if you used FireFox with NoScript extension and HTTPS Everywhere extension
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

If using Windows is a must and to make you feel safe by having an AV program, my vote is Windows' Windows Defender. I don't really see how any other program can be better than it.

Unfortunately, while it used to be quite good, it is now absolutely awful. You have no idea how many computers I've cleaned up that MSE said were "clean!" and then another product like ESET or Kaspersky finds a mass of infections.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Unfortunately, while it used to be quite good, it is now absolutely awful. You have no idea how many computers I've cleaned up that MSE said were "clean!" and then another product like ESET or Kaspersky finds a mass of infections.

Weird, I do not keep up with Windows products as I am usually on linux. But I know Defender used to be good and I would think would have the best updates considering it is a Windows' product coming from what I would assume to be their own developers. Maybe not though.

I know I have never had a problem with it although I can't say that makes it legitimate enough as I have not had a virus in many years (probably since Win 7 days?) lol.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'll let these pictures speak for themselves, LOL!
wink.gif

MSEFail.jpg

ESETResults.jpg

Well the proof is in the pudding hahahahaha :] , thanks for the pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back