What do you think of the 'new' BBC Top Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, at this point I will watch it ONLY to see cars I will never otherwise be able to see shifted in 'anger', or HEAR in person.

I will admit I did not "get" the original show with the former three stooges ), until I watched A LOT of the episodes, and finally figured out the hosts' ridicule, nationalistic attitudes, hatred of US domestic product (and even domestic nameplated/owned, Brit built cars), etc. was just part of the 'act'.

As was their GREAT, intentional sparring, and interplay with each other, which flowed just so smoothly and naturally (NOT FORCED, like the current show is
frown.gif
), and was HILARIOUS the majority of the time.

I refuse to watch this atrocity which happens to be named top gear. Thanks for confirming my preconceptions. Nothing will live up to the original 3, the BBC should stop wasting taxpayer money and move on.

It appears that History Channel's version of Top Gear is done as well... at least for the near future. They've finished filming and there are no immediate plans to continue it (though that could change, and I hope it does).

I know people didn't like the American Top Gear as much as Clarkson, Hammond and May, but they were a helluvalot better than what the BBC has now.

Even bringing in Ms. Schmidt isn't enough to get me to watch the new BBC offering. The Amazon Top Gear with the old crew will be out on the fall. Amazon has a lot more dough than the BBC to play with.

Watched one episode where they travel to Venice. Proved the point that taking the train on long journeys in Europe is the best thing to do (quicker, more comfortable, etc.).

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Even bringing in Ms. Schmidt isn't enough to get me to watch the new BBC offering. The Amazon Top Gear with the old crew will be out on the fall. Amazon has a lot more dough than the BBC to play with.

Will this require Prime to watch??

Great news.

Chris Evans is a [censored] and idiot, why he ever was hired for Top Gear much less any other job in the mass media is beyond explanation, unless he is related to powerful individuals.

Wow, didn't expect Evans out that quick. Apparently he couldn't take the criticism. They have plenty of talent in the cast, so I wonder if they'll just go on without him?

Originally Posted By: PierreR
Evans is out
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36707266

I am not up on my celebrities/movie stars/etc., so will someone PLEASE tell me WHAT he has done in the past, what he is 'known for', and IF he has ANY (automotive) enthusiast ties at all?
21.gif

THIS show is the very first time I am seeing ANYTHING 'starring' him at all, ever.

And YES, his apparent hysteria makes me miss Clarkson's calm, smug, dry/deadpan sense of humor all the more.
frown.gif

Evans gone - good. His demeanor was WAY off-putting...

Now let the rest of the team get on with it. We need a slightly pudgy somewhat older Brit with a decent accent and the ability to drive to hold center stage. We do not need loud and annoying...

Clarkson drove me away. I just could not stand his overbearing attitude to the others.

I've enjoyed all of James May's specials. I think Hammond should do a few more.

Bottom line, with Evans gone I'll start watching again
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Wow, didn't expect Evans out that quick. Apparently he couldn't take the criticism. They have plenty of talent in the cast, so I wonder if they'll just go on without him?

Seems to be a solid move.

The show is better with Matt, Chris and Rory.

Still not Clarkson, Hammond and May, but then in their first and second series, they were not so good either.

That sort of chemistry takes time.

Seems to be a solid move.

The show is better with Matt, Chris and Rory.

Still not Clarkson, Hammond and May, but then in their first and second series, they were not so good either.

That sort of chemistry takes time.

I like the latest season. It's quite funny and much more informative. They have finally gotten rid of the good old boy feeling which has improved the guest appearances and the audience as well.

James May had a couple of series of documentaries on BBC -- The Reassembler. Very nice show where he reassembles old devices (like a Honda moped or a food mixer).

I loved the program where James May went up in a U-2 (James May at the Edge of Space). He's a licensed pilot so it must have been a real treat for him (it showed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back