Best Oil for Intek 19 HP Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to change the oil on my Intek 19 HP [censored] motor. Manual calls for SAE 30, 10W-30 or 5W-30 Synthetic. My local WM has a horrible selection of SAE 30. Supertech is all I could find. I was thinking of running ST Synthetic 5W30. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 17 HP Intek and I've used older SG rated 10w30 Amoco Ultimate synthetic since new (about 8 years)....it runs great and doesn't use a drop.

I have run, and always tout any 15W-40 HDEO for any OPE. This class of oil can't be killed by a diesel, so a gasoline engine poses no issue for the oil. It is relatively cheap, very easy to find, and is really tough oil to use in an air cooled engine.

Shell Rotella straight 30wt. Walmart should have it in 1 gallon jugs.
HDEO in a straight weight oil, whats not to like?
21.gif

Running SN grade passenger car oil under the punishing conditions of outdoor power equipment in the summer months is slightly crazy in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
SAE30 is what I'd use as long as the outside temp is above 40F.

That's what I would use in his location, Supertech to be exact.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Running SN grade passenger car oil under the punishing conditions of outdoor power equipment in the summer months is slightly crazy in my opinion.

Yet thats what the OPE manufacturers always recommend.

My 1972 Wheel Horse with a Kohler ball bearing 12 hp always called for W30
First oil change back then was a MV oil and it never had internal engine work til this day.
That said a few do recommend 10w30 today or the 5w30
Exmark even recommends 20w50 as well.

Shell Rotella straight 30wt. Walmart should have it in 1 gallon jugs.
HDEO in a straight weight oil, whats not to like?
21.gif

I have that motor - used B&S 5w-30 syn for 3 years now & running good - cost the same as average syn oils ...

Originally Posted By: NH73

Yet thats what the OPE manufacturers always recommend.

Yes, but thats not what BIOG is about. Might as well just close down the site and put a sign in its place- "Follow Manufacturers Oil Recommendations". The poster was looking for something a little better I think.

Of course Briggs and others are going to suggest commonly available oils that Joe Homeowner understands and can easily find.

No way are they going recommend a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil no matter how much better it may be for air cooled engines. The average homeowner would be like; Huh, diesel oil, whats that?? my mower runs on gas??

I don't think Briggs wants to deal with warranty claims because someone didn't use "Joe Homeowner" oil. I have gotten 20+ years of hard use on my riders using the recommended oil. Too many space cadets trying to out think the designers.

Well, both my mowers don't have manuals so I am using EDGE 10w30. I believe TIG1 uses M1 10w30 in his OPE equipment Also without issue

Originally Posted By: 2cool
I have run, and always tout any 15W-40 HDEO for any OPE. This class of oil can't be killed by a diesel, so a gasoline engine poses no issue for the oil. It is relatively cheap, very easy to find, and is really tough oil to use in an air cooled engine.

^^

+1 - Best answer in the whole thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back