17 yo deutsch filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably. Deutsch was sold at Autozone decades ago. I used them on a 1991 C2500 I bought new. I cut a few open back in the day and they were decent, but used a nitrile ADBV.

Yeah lol I ordered the clearance rockauto wix 51372 and they sent the ultra powers to me turned out to be 17 yo filters luckily my receipt clearly says wix which should be cq

Could be, using Julian calendar and last four places of unknown meaning. Also remember them at AZ, been gone a looong time.

So you ordered clearance Wix at RA, and got the Deutsch. smh

Caveat emptor.

Date code is not really Fram looking format, so I'd say it's Feb 19, 1999.

A021999J1

^^^^I think you've got it. Thinking more wondering about the '17 years' figure.

In any case, in usable filter age, old as the the hills. Wonder what corner of RA warehouse storage they dug it out of.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^^I think you've got it. Thinking more wondering about the '17 years' figure.

In any case, in usable filter age, old as the the hills. Wonder what corner of RA warehouse storage they dug it out of.

Yeah, way too old to use IMO. Might be interesting to cut that one open to take a look inside.

I don't see why you couldn't use them. Oil filters don't go bad sitting unless they rust or dirt gets in 'em.

I see vintage ph8a filters always slapped on to the older trucks in the workplace. I don't even know who gets this old stock from where. No problems so far. Still too old for my choice.

Got a phone call from rockauto today about my return from some snobby young girl saying she didn't see a problem with using a old filter so I offered to sell them to her.... she declined so after 15 min of trying to explain why they are too old and why I won't use them on one of my trucks they issued a return label so I can send them back

Cellulose breaks down with age and can become brittle making it more susceptible to a tear. It might be okay but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable and with such an old filter unless it was microglass media.

Quote:
Got a phone call from rockauto today about my return from some snobby young girl saying she didn't see a problem with using a old filter so I offered to sell them to her.... she declined so after 15 min of trying to explain why they are too old and why I won't use them on one of my trucks they issued a return label so I can send them back

Glad you got a return label. I guess the fact that they were listed as 'clearance' Wix and/or with Wix#, meant the Deutsch sent was allowable. So that tact not a factor in return.

As noted, when it comes to RA closeout, clearance or Ultra Power filter listing, caveat emptor.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
It seems more and more members are receiving "closeout" filters from Rock Auto that are 5+ years old. That ain't right. Not for me anyway.

It seems that's the chance one takes at RA with the "closeout" or clearance type listing. I have to say though, 17 years old is more than a bit absurd imo. I have used and am using now BD+ made in 09 and they have been fine, but I know the storage method and am not purchasing what I would think to be relatively new.

It also seems as in this case that a certain application number, is no guarantee that the filter received will be made by the manufacturer one normally associates with that application number.

And at least as far as the RA Ultra Power listing filters, what one receives may or may not be the filter represented in the RA pics.

Not attempting to dump on RA here, just inform that as shown with anecdotes posted here with certain filter listing types, what one receives may not be what one expects or represented when purchasing.

Quote:
Ultra-Power filters come from this place: http://www.surplusparts.com/

In my observation of those RA filters posted here listed under the UP listing, not all are sureplus filters.

The RA UP listing is grab bag or catch all for all types of close out/clearance filters. Some here have gotten some nice scores on CQ's by Wix and Champ/Fram Filtration under the UP listing. Others have received the SurePlus Filters, thinking by looking at the RA pics and/or application number they would get the CQ's, but didn't. And then there's OP that received the topic filter under some type of clearance listing.

So the RA UP listing seems to leave much leeway as to the filter that will be sent. Same goes for any RA clearance filter listing.

Back to the topic at hand. I used a lot of Deutsch filters from AZ many years ago. They were made at Champion labs here in Illinois if memory serves me right.

Back to the topic at hand. I used a lot of Deutsch filters from AZ many years ago. They were made at Champion labs here in Illinois if memory serves me right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back