Valvoline Maxlife vs Supertech Synthetic vs QSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to use the cheapest synthetic/semisynthetic for a 7500 mile change for one of my cars. The choices I currently have at Walmart are Valvoline maxlife for 15.88, Quakerstate Synblend for $16.97 and Supertech synthetic for $17.47. It is for a 99 mazda protege with a 1.8 and no leakage. For the next change I am using the Maxlife after rebate. Afterward Would there be any advantage to using Supertech full Synthetic or a store brand synthetic over the cheapest synblend 5w30 I can find?

I know this isn't on your list but thought I'd mention it since you are in Arkansas.

Orschelns has a few stores down there and if one is close by you could get Trop-Artic. It's a semi-syn made by ConocoPhillips and believed to be the same blend (or close to it) used in MC oil. Orschelns will run occasional sales of $1.89 or $1.99/qt. Hard to find a quality oil for that price anywhere else.

If it absolutely doesn't leak, I'd use the ST full synthetic - 7500 is no problem. If it does leak, use the Maxlife blend.

The cheapest way is usually with rebates. You can end up getting a name brand synthetic for around $12 for 5 qt with WalMart sales plus rebate. If you dont mind keeping up with all the latest promotions and following up on yhe refunds.

I would want a Dexos 1 Certification for the maximum 13% NOACK and Mileage you expect from a blend. After that just buy the cheapest. I made the same choice and ended up with Pennzoil Gold SB. I needed 6 qt and that ended up $0.20 cheaper because quarts are $0.70 cheaper than QSED. You might want to factor that in if you buy individual quarts for top up.

Maxlife SB 5W30 seems to fit the bill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I know this isn't on your list but thought I'd mention it since you are in Arkansas.

Orschelns has a few stores down there and if one is close by you could get Trop-Artic. It's a semi-syn made by ConocoPhillips and believed to be the same blend (or close to it) used in MC oil. Orschelns will run occasional sales of $1.89 or $1.99/qt. Hard to find a quality oil for that price anywhere else.

There's an Orsheln store in Lawrenceburg IN too...they aren't in Ohio. Maybe I'll run down there. On a side note, I went to St Louis U with Sarah Orscheln...she was a cutie and her family owned the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back