Supertech Synthetic and Citgo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used the Walmart Supertech Synthetic on and off over the years. I see that Citgo now makes it for my area. Any thoughts of how well Citgo is compared to other brands? I usually do 4000 mile oil changes, so it seems like a good buy for my use. I'm sure it isn't in the Mobil 1 or Pennz synthetic leagues, but for 4000 mile oil changes, I figure it will keep things clean and well running. Any thoughts?

Citgo is owned by a Venezuelan company.

As far as US sold oil goes, that is probably as anti American as it gets.

Perhaps things are better since ol Chavez's passing?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Citgo is owned by a Venezuelan company.

As far as US sold oil goes, that is probably as anti American as it gets.

Perhaps things are better since ol Chavez's passing?

Worst. Right now Venezuelans are more concerned about there next drink of water and next bite of food literally.

All politics aside, Citgo sourced engine oil is just as good as any other blender that blends the Walmart syn.

I'm slowly switching over to the Fleet Farm house brand and Citgo brand as I can get them at some really good prices if I watch for rebates. I have a case of Citgo Syngard 0W-20 waiting for the next OCs on the Ody and Trex. After MIR it was $2 a quart.

Are there multiple suppliers for Supertech Synthetic now? I live so close to the Guntersville AL WPP Plant that we dont see anything but WPP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
All politics aside, Citgo sourced engine oil is just as good as any other blender that blends the Walmart syn.

But how does it compare to the top synthetics like Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum ?

Would you run it in your car ?

So far this discussion has been very vague and bland.

I agree. The discussion has not even touched on the original question. Who cares who owns the company. Look at all the things we all use everyday and buy that are made in China. We still buy them. Some are quality and many are not. What does everyone think about the Citgo made Supertech synthetic? I got nowhere when I called them about it other than they verified they do make it for Walmart. Everything else was top secret.

Citgo gas was always cheaper so i used it and had no problems at all I would love to buy Everything American but if someone is selling something just as good for a cheaper price i will buy it.. Im American but im not stupid i see what is behind our gas prices.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Vague and bland? You judge the quality of a synthetic on how it smells after a 2.5k run...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: RRLJR
Who cares who owns the company.

I was informing those who were unaware of who owned the company.

Plenty of folks here have a strong opinion on country of origins and the like.

As far as your question, the stuff is good enough. It has the API starburst on the bottle.

Last edited:
As far as your question, the stuff is good enough. It has the API starburst on the bottle.

That doesn't sound like a very enthusiastic opinion. Gee ...
confused2.gif

confused2.gif

Yeah well at least it is a valid assessment, as opposed to people who believe they can discern an oil quality through a Blackstone VOA.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Real simple for 4K OCI's you would be just as well served buying ST conventional.

+1 ST syn is dexos approved and a solid oil. 4k is too few of miles depending on the vehicle you are using it in. I would use it for 7.5k without even batting an eye.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Real simple for 4K OCI's you would be just as well served buying ST conventional.

+1 ST syn is dexos approved and a solid oil. 4k is too few of miles depending on the vehicle you are using it in. I would use it for 7.5k without even batting an eye.

Yea, I agree with both the above. Unless the car is a Turbo, in which case I'd lean more towards synthetic. SuperTech is great oil for all but the most critical applications. Just keep it topped off.

confused2.gif

It isn't a very enthusiastic oil.

It only carries the latest API spec. No manufacturer approvals.

Minus Dexos as said above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

But how does it compare to the top synthetics like Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum ?

Would you run it in your car ?

I've updated my sig, but the Resolute is Fleet Farm's house brand which is blended and bottled by Citgo. So yes, I would use a Citgo product in my very pedestrian vehicles. I'm looking to buy and Audi allroad with the twin turbo, so for an application like that I would be looking for something a bit higher up the quality scale since I could not find a VW 502.00 rated Citgo product at Fleet when I had my old A6 turbo.

confused2.gif

It isn't a very enthusiastic oil.

It only carries the latest API spec. No manufacturer approvals.

Minus Dexos as said above.

The 15W40 carries Detroit 93K218 Approval for extended drains.
Of course I believe thats all WPP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back