Vehicles that retain quality after 8-10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
JD Powers is a marketing research unit of McGraw Hill.
A company has to pay them to gain access to and promote its results, which are based entirely upon customer surveys. JD Powers was ISO certified once upon a time, but not anymore.
For all of its faults, CR is a far better and more objective source of information on the reliability and durability of any model of car while a large fleet database is the gold standard for those who have access to one.
CR is a unit of a non-profit 501 C(3) while fleet databases are proprietary to their users, who have no reason to lie to themselves about the lifecycle costs of any vehicle.
I have access to a decent sized fleet database, but few or none of the vehicles in the fleet involved are anything that would make anyone's heart beat faster.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Honda ain't what it used to be.
I take great care of my cars but my last Accord Sport 2013 was delivered with super thin paint already chipped and the sloppy dealer scratched several pieces removing the OEM tape etc. Door nicks and so on. The clear coat on the wheels was peeling and I turned it back in and that was with only 19K on it. The Interior wasn't wearing great either. The stupid dealer scratched the navi screen.

I was at the dealer and heard the same complaints about the dealer prep service. That said the quality besides the dealer prep was not like it used to be. I bailed on Honda for now.

Yes, some Honda vehicles are not like the old days. But...my Ridgeline has been solid and as perfect as a vehicle can be. It's still fairly new though. We'll see how my Fit holds up. I kind of doubt that it will make it 10 years like an old Civic or Accord used to with no problems.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Honda ain't what it used to be.
I take great care of my cars but my last Accord Sport 2013 was delivered with super thin paint already chipped and the sloppy dealer scratched several pieces removing the OEM tape etc. Door nicks and so on. The clear coat on the wheels was peeling and I turned it back in and that was with only 19K on it. The Interior wasn't wearing great either. The stupid dealer scratched the navi screen.

I was at the dealer and heard the same complaints about the dealer prep service. That said the quality besides the dealer prep was not like it used to be. I bailed on Honda for now.

Yes, some Honda vehicles are not like the old days. But...my Ridgeline has been solid and as perfect as a vehicle can be. It's still fairly new though. We'll see how my Fit holds up. I kind of doubt that it will make it 10 years like an old Civic or Accord used to with no problems.

Are those models that are still getting defective airbags installed that will have to be recalled at some point? It's pretty amazing that they're installing bad airbags into new cars. But they don't have an alternative source at this point so they're going to recall them later. I think they're ok initially, they just go bad after a while due to the humidity.

You can't really go wrong with any Toyota or Honda. My truck is 12 years old and 105k miles with no interior rattles at all and I live in Montana and drive gravel roads a lot. I see a lot of older 90's Toyota and Honda cars with double the mileage of my truck and likely a lot more abuse still holding up well. I don't care what anyone says, the Japs build quality vehicles. Their only real downfall is rust, salty roads are the death sentence of Japanese cars. I don't know why, but they seem to rust faster and harder than any of the American made cars do.

I love how well my Tacoma holds it's value, it books for 15k right now, that's more than half of what it cost new! That's one of the main reasons I have one, reliable as heck and built well but holds it's value forever.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Quick check on Autotrader shows me 2004 tacos for 6500 dollars low up to 7499.

Not quite 15k...

Quit confusing people with facts.

My daily driver is a 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited which my wife purchased used in 2008 for $6000. List value on KBB is $3200 under very good condition with more than 330,000 miles. We wouldn't accept to sell it if we were offered $6,000 for it. It runs that well and reliable as a hammer.

Many friends and family still wonder why the heck am I still driving around in it when they probably feel I should be driving a Porsche. My wife and I are both physicians and she actually makes much more than I do. So that's why the friends and family have that stigma, "oh he must be frugal/cheap". But the truth is that I can't kill this darn 4Runner even if I tried and I drive it like a Porsche. (and I don't need to impress anyone nor validate my accolades)

The seats and suspension in my 33-year old merc w123 are still amazing, as is its engine. The rest of the car is a rattle pit, but the rattles don't come from underneath.

Wifes' HHR hit 190k and still feels like a blah rental car with 20k on it. I did do rear shocks and front LCA bushings.

I had a volvo 940 with 270k miles that drove great though it leaked gas and the speedometer would show zero at times. I had another volvo 940 wagon that ran awesome but the headliner had to come out as it was falling apart and most of the plastic bits in the interior cracked from age.

I test drove a saturn s-series that felt new after 200k. Didn't make a deal on that one but tried some others and managed to find ones that did in fact feel appropriately elderly.

MIL had a Buick Lesabre that felt good at 200k and passable at 230k. The LaCrosse Hybrid that replaced it is hated by all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back